Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
41 - 60 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I can honestly say I've never seen a pump that bad EVER! You win the trophy on that one!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Back in 84 I bought a new 85 Formula. When you bought a Formula, you became a member of the Ski-doo Formula Club and you received some paperwork and decals and most importantly a diecast key chain token (pictured). I kept mine in my junk drawer all these years. LOL. That sled is long gone but I did pick up an 85 Formula Plus yesterday with 3700 miles on it. Truly a barn (shed) find sled. Mag side piston burnt but motor does turn. Very straight sled with minimal spider cracks in the hood. Track looks mint.

DAY 1: Began by vacuuming out tons of acorn shells and mouse debris. Gave it a bath and so far, so good.
Removed the seat (seat cover, plywood, and tail light assembly is perfect less the lens).
Removed the gas tank. (rotted grommet and fuel pickup, What a stink.).
Removed the airbox. Inside the airbox was perfectly clean. (rotted boots and air inlet rubber seal torn).
Removed exhaust. (All good).

View attachment 1978825 I have all that original swag also. You even got badges for coat. The 85plus was a truly underrated sled. I was having trouble with my 96 formula 3 and phoned valcourts trouble shooter over the problem. I was complaining that the 96 triple 600 could not outrun my 85plus. Jerry the tec on line said what year of plus?? I said 85 and Jerry said ahhh the fast one? He said steve here it is 1996 and we still getting flack over 85plus. Lol. He said when they designed the 89mach the use of the rave valves made them have to raise the rake of hood enough that the aerodynamics of body lost 5-10 mph on ice ovals. The 583 gain in hp couldn’t overcome this issue. It wasn’t actually till they brought out the 670 that it could pull away from the 85-87 plus’s. Very cool info. By the way Jerry told me to check crank nut on my f3 which some had not been tightened from rotax causing the flywheel to move. That was the issue. It finally could beat 85 plus after warranty crank installed.

View attachment 1978824 View attachment 1978821

View attachment 1978823 View attachment 1978822
I have all that original swag also. You even got badges for coat. The 85plus was a truly underrated sled. I was having trouble with my 96 formula 3 and phoned valcourts trouble shooter over the problem. I was complaining that the 96 triple 600 could not outrun my 85plus. Jerry the tec on line said what year of plus?? I said 85 and Jerry said ahhh the fast one? He said steve here it is 1996 and we still getting flack over 85plus. Lol. He said when they designed the 89mach the use of the rave valves made them have to raise the rake of hood enough that the aerodynamics of body lost 5-10 mph on ice ovals. The 583 gain in hp couldn’t overcome this issue. It wasn’t actually till they brought out the 670 that it could pull away from the 85-87 plus’s. Very cool info. By the way Jerry told me to check crank nut on my f3 which some had not been tightened from rotax causing the flywheel to move. That was the issue. It finally could beat 85 plus after warranty crank installed.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
I thought the yellow stripes were 85 and the colors were added in 86. Lots of 85s (my MX included) had the decals lifting around the edges and were replaced with 86 stripes (which I like better). Here is what I think is correct:
Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks guys. I have a hard time selling. My 96f3 i had was mint. I sold it to a buddy and he put 925 in it. Its in perfect shape still so may get back. The plus i still drive occasionally. I missed a real nice here just lately. Should have bought it. But how many can you have?

41 - 60 of 223 Posts