Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Pistons....I am 99.9999% sure there is no difference in 521 pistons from 1985 to 1986.
253 single, 277 single, 503 and 521 pistons are all the exact same pistons. The 503 started in 1979 and ended in 2002 ( i think). I am sure there is no difference in pistons for all the years.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here ya go curta. Quite a spread in main jet sizes in 85, they narrowed the spread for 86 that seems more realistic to me.
So I am going to use the 86 configuration. I can always change out the 330 jet for the 300 jet if it runs rich on that side. Now I have to find a 330 jet. LOL. THANK YOU for the picts. Here is a link to Flicker which documents some of my project. I photo everything as I remove parts. Flicker is just a subset of what I have photo'd.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
So I am down to the frame assembly. I got a price to clean, blast, and powder coat the steel front end but I need to remove the tunnel. I am thinking of all options. Has anyone powder coated the entire frame assembly (steel and aluminum tunnel) without separating?
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Rim

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Bumper

·
Registered
904 Posts
I separated my tunnel from the frame to clean/wire wheel between the surfaces. Then riveted back together and had it blasted and powder coated as one. Seemed to work ok.

How does the underside of the frame look? Any rot?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
There is one hole about 1/4 inch in diameter. It is on the bottom of one of the tubes. Looks like it rusted from the outside-in. No other weak spots. Just curious, why did you put it together before the powder coat.?

·
Registered
904 Posts
There is one hole about 1/4 inch in diameter. It is on the bottom of one of the tubes. Looks like it rusted from the outside-in. No other weak spots. Just curious, why did you put it together before the powder coat.?
Good news on the frame! That will be an easy fix! I did grind off paint on the bottom frame which revealed a little more rot on mine. Seems it came from water on the inside.

Couple reasons- The tunnel and frame might have not fit back together the same due to the thickness of the powder coat. But mostly because the frame was powder coated as one piece at the factory ( meaning the rivets were powder coated over). I wanted it to look as close to original as possible..

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hmmmmm. Never thought of the fitment of the tunnel to bulkhead. Ill have to really look at that. I was planning to use black rivets which can be purchased. BTW...thanks for you help and thoughts.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
As long as we're looking at cool stuff in the background, is that a sweet Onkyo receiver on the shelf?

OK back to the regularly scheduled program.....😉

Reactions: maxmachz

·
Registered
5,606 Posts
Thanks. Any problem with alignment of fit? The first picture will not load.

No, I used punches and scratch awls in the holes, then bolted it tight in a few places. Every rivet went right in but one with a nice tight fit.

I see the 7500 decal on the wall. Do you have one?

Yes sir, I documented the build on here many many moons ago (y)
Tire Picture frame Automotive tire Automotive design Wheel

·
Registered
91 Plus, 93 Mach 1 and 97 Mach Z.
1,863 Posts
I got a Plus X in kit form that had been powder coated. Done as seperate pieces:
The topic "powder coated before or after assembly" comes back once in a while...I was trying to dig deeper into this the other year, without really finding a satisfying answer...

I have got information from an old guy over here - that was once BRP's main technical rep in Europe - saying them parts were definitely powder coated separately before assembly. His reason for "definitely" is because he visited the Valcourt plant just ahead of the first ever PRS model...He is dead sure there were separate front frames and tunnels going through the powder coating line...On top of this, he refers to some year's spare front frames which were available powder coated, black as well as red.

On the other hand, guys on here like Brad460 has seen they were not powder coated before assembly.

Is this old geezer wrong, or did they change this somewhere down the line...?

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
I know of replacement tunnels coming in black and red, I have new F chassis bulk head here black, so maybe both stories are right, some run through individually as replacement parts, the complete sleds done complete. Judging by the above pictures with bare metal showing on the tunnel, this was obviously done as a unit.

·
Registered
91 Plus, 93 Mach 1 and 97 Mach Z.
1,863 Posts
Yup, judging by the second picture of post #34, the OEM tunnel has obviously not been powder coated before assembly.

What do the mating surfaces of the front frame look like…? Coated, painted or bare (rusty…?) steel…?

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Every PRS chassis that I have ever split for restoration was powder coated before assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
To answer post 36, the front frame is bare and somewhat rusty on the mating surfaces. Definitely coated after assembly at BRP. Have you ever noticed that almost all powder coat fails (peeling) start at the edges? It's not from dings or wear. It must be that it is very thin at the sharp edges?? It almost makes you want to paint the damn thing.

For those that have riveted a frame back together, did you use steel rivets with steel mandrels or aluminum rivets with steel mandrels?

I hope the new powder coat will cover up the damage to the bottom of these skis.... LOL
Wood Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Line

21 - 40 of 223 Posts