Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed a pb80 only .From Cudney and I am hitting 8300 with 9 pucks installed.Should I go to 8 or leave there ,sled is a 2016 mxzx with ice ripper with only 100 miles on it.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Make complete notes, not just the rpm. I found with mine, before PB80, 8000 rpm and 95mph tops. Then at 120miles of life for the sled, did the Cudney clutch kit. With new 391 belt it ran 8600rpm and 104 mph. 500 miles later that everything broke in nice, I was back down to 8000rpm but the speed was still 104mph. Was there slippage before, or was the primary clutch not shifting out completely at first I don't know. It just shows you that you have to take all the numbers in account.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Wait till you get 500 miles before you change anything, the rpm goes up steady,I have 1200 now and it has stayed consistent since 500, I have just the PB80 so far and it hits 8500-8600 with 8 pucks

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Dr Rotax are you getting any belt slippage with 8 pucks? I was wondering if I should do the same. I'm running 9 and hitting about 8200rpm. Or should I be changing spring or helix.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I'm running 8, they weigh 96-96 grams.
You can run 8 but it sounds like that's about as low as you want to go, maybe just weigh them

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
398 Posts
Taylorj,I haven't checked temp but I can always hold my hand on the clutch,this is the CV tech set-up so I suspect a weak spring,engagement is 2000,clutch sheaves aren't black and I think that is the indicator for slippage?

·
Registered
920 Posts
im running the 290 finish spring, tried with 9 and 8 pucks......only variable was goin from 47/40 helix to 44/42. with 9 pucks, clutches very cool with both helix's but wasn't pullin enough rpm with my set up......(fullmods) Midrange with 9 pucks was very good with either helix, Hang on!.........just wanted more intial and upper rpms. Went to 8, left the 44/42 in it....very revvy, better throttle response....gained rpm. still not were id like.. but gained. Only thing I noticed and this may have been from another issue I had, (lost our snow so wont know for sure till we head north), but my clutch heat increased a ton goin to 8 with this set up. Again...had another issue that may have caused the heat...dont know for sure....I will say the 377 belt im running held up great through it all. Im very close to being happy here....

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
2016 is an edrive bolt, and I believe the consensus is that some are long enough, and some are not.

A 2011 bolt is the correct bolt for certain. New pb80s are supposedly coming with the correct bolt

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,653 Posts
Quick question , probably covered before, but will the 2016 factory tra bolt work with the pb80 or do I need to get one from different year.
The TRA bolt will work with the PB80, the E-drive bolt is shorter and shouldn't be used.

-grover

Reactions: Dr. Rotax

·
Fuzzy but not Blue........
10,653 Posts
im running the 290 finish spring, tried with 9 and 8 pucks......only variable was goin from 47/40 helix to 44/42. with 9 pucks, clutches very cool with both helix's but wasn't pullin enough rpm with my set up......(fullmods) Midrange with 9 pucks was very good with either helix, Hang on!.........just wanted more intial and upper rpms. Went to 8, left the 44/42 in it....very revvy, better throttle response....gained rpm. still not were id like.. but gained. Only thing I noticed and this may have been from another issue I had, (lost our snow so wont know for sure till we head north), but my clutch heat increased a ton goin to 8 with this set up. Again...had another issue that may have caused the heat...dont know for sure....I will say the 377 belt im running held up great through it all. Im very close to being happy here....
what did you end up using for a secondary spring?

-grover

·
Registered
920 Posts
pm sent grover

·
Registered
398 Posts
the PB80 from CVtech doesn't come with the bolt,but ya if it's TRA you can use that bolt,E-drive bolt is 3/8" shorter,I'm guessing that wherever u buy PB80 they will ask what type of clutch it will be replacing.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
the PB80 from CVtech doesn't come with the bolt,but ya if it's TRA you can use that bolt,E-drive bolt is 3/8" shorter,I'm guessing that wherever u buy PB80 they will ask what type of clutch it will be replacing.
Not trying to argue but my new pb80 came with a bolt, the rep told me all new pb80's for ski doo 1200's now include the bolt. Now having said that the last one i bought did not include the new bolt, must be something new for this year

·
Registered
111 Posts
I have a 16 and got the PB80 kit from Cudney. Came with 9 pucks and ran 8500 with stock belt at 105. I went to 8 pucks and intially went to 8700 and pulled hard through midrange but during my 1700 mile trip last week I gained a belt squeal and low rpm engagement and lost rpm to 8400 max. Gonna try new gates carbon fiber belt this weekend and thinking about going back to 9 pucks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts