Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the green light from my wife to snowcheck an 07'
But after some serious thought I am trying to decide if I should just keep the '05 800 and put a RK Tech 827 kit on it for $2000 or spend $10000 on a new one. My '05 runs great, has lots of power and great clutching (thanks to the S8X) but I am pushing almost 4000 miles. I know that there is going to be a melt down sometime in the future. Just wondering from those of you who have ridden the new '07 800R if you think it is worth the extra jack or if I should just upgrade the '05. The 151 hp of the '07 is tantalizing, but the 827 RK Tech kit claims 150-160 hp. I like the idea of a two ring piston in the 827 kit, but it would be nice to have a new 2 year warranty on the '07 also.
.....What to do......What to do.....????

·
Registered
321 Posts
utah_sledder said:
I got the green light from my wife to snowcheck an 07'
But after some serious thought I am trying to decide if I should just keep the '05 800 and put a RK Tech 827 kit on it for $2000 or spend $10000 on a new one. My '05 runs great, has lots of power and great clutching (thanks to the S8X) but I am pushing almost 4000 miles. I know that there is going to be a melt down sometime in the future. Just wondering from those of you who have ridden the new '07 800R if you think it is worth the extra jack or if I should just upgrade the '05. The 151 hp of the '07 is tantalizing, but the 827 RK Tech kit claims 150-160 hp. I like the idea of a two ring piston in the 827 kit, but it would be nice to have a new 2 year warranty on the '07 also.
.....What to do......What to do.....????

[snapback]749626[/snapback]​
Go new , if you jack around with old motor and something goes wrong you waisted the clink that could have put towards a new sled with better technology and warranty. Besides 4000 miles chances are it could be needing something else soon which means more clink waisted.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I see a pattern here, I would buy new. I like the idea of having a warrenty and your not riding a worn out sled that way. As stated before it would really suck to put all that money into a new 827 and then gernade the chain case or even the motor itself. Atleast if you do that with an 07 BRP will have to give you a new one.

·
Registered
5,898 Posts
Go new, if the wife gives you the green light go for it. Your chassis is getting worn out at 4000 happy mile. GO NEW.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yup......sounds like going new is the way to go. For those of you "Lucky ones" (aka ttabs, Rene, etc.) that have ridden the '07 can you give us a little more info on how the new motor feels?

·
Registered
395 Posts
depending on the price ill probubly get one, i got about an hour and fifteen minutes on one yesterday. the power is set up a little different then the previous summits. the arm jerk off the line isnt as noticible, but after about the first ten feet then you start to feel the power and it just keeps comming, i also got to talk to the dealer fresh back from dallas, he talked about a new track design that grabs better and weighs 8 pounds less, and something the ski doo brass was showing them about the power band of the new engine, from what i got out of it the power band is much wider. i didnt have enough time to talk with him for very long. a new one sounds like you cant go wrong

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
I will offer a dissenting opinion. Go with the proven RKT engine mods INSTEAD of being a test guinea pig for BRP. BRP and Rotax doo NOT have a great track record when it comes to introducing "new" engines..

For example:
a) 2003 600HO (one word, rings)
2005 MAch Z 1000SDI (which map should I use?)
c) 2004 600SDI you know the one that quits on hard bumps
d) 1000 V-tec 4 stroke (discontinued)
e) 2003 800 SDI (discontinued)

At least the 2005 has the exact same rear suspension as new 2007.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
akfreerider said:
go new. a modified engine is never as dependable as a stock one.
[snapback]749707[/snapback]​
where is the logic in this statment? ill put my 827 up against a stock mill any day fo dependability. save your coin and go with a 827 and never look back.

·
Registered
471 Posts
revdog said:
akfreerider said:
go new. a modified engine is never as dependable as a stock one.
[snapback]749707[/snapback]​
where is the logic in this statment? ill put my 827 up against a stock mill any day fo dependability. save your coin and go with a 827 and never look back.
[snapback]750682[/snapback]​
i must COMPLETELY agree with this . . did some modding on my stock 700 (head/pipe/can) . . and ate pistons . . put a 734 from RKT in the thing...and its been a solid hard runner all season . .

from what i've read the 827 / 840s are the same way . . with the add. head cooling and 2 ring pistsons...i believe thats what makes it 'work' so much better (reliability wise)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts