Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone gone from the 800 rev to the 440 what were the good points and bad. hows the ride of the 440 vs 800 . my current sled is a 2003 800x should i consider the 440 not much of a lake runner just like the twisty trails. also what about gas mileage hows the 440 . if i get a 440 what year 2003 or 2004.

·
Registered
191 Posts
2doodave said:
has anyone gone from the 800 rev to the 440 what were the good points and bad. hows the ride of the 440 vs 800 . my current sled is a 2003 800x should i consider the 440 not much of a lake runner just like the twisty trails. also what about gas mileage hows the 440 . if i get a 440 what year 2003 or 2004.
[snapback]317868[/snapback]​
I have both and although the 04 440 is fun on tight trails, give up too much when the trial opens up. i hate to get passed anytime it opens up.. My 440 goes 80MPH. I also have an 800 mod I run on the trails and it more fun in my opinion.. They are both bad on gas. but if you have an 800x certainly it will probably get you another 30 miles a tank. although I like the 440 on the trail, I much prefer to run it as intended; on the track. But hey, I do have one and it's cool.. if you step up to the plate would definetily get 04 if you can. It has a team secondary and the seat is weyyyyyyyyy cooler. Probably worth the extra $500 you would pay for an 04. Both suspensions on 04 and 03 need to be revalved if you want a good ride. They are way too stiff for racing and trail and don't let anyone tell you any different. Every competitive and serious racer I know has had their revalved. I've heard other have used Hygear.. he revalved my 440 rear shocks and did a nice job. If you don't spring for the revalving, soften up H and L compression to full soft, it will help.

·
Registered
152 Posts
the 440's rip. get one. put a 10 gal. tank on it and oil caddy and ride it. awesome power. you might wanna put a some more wheels on it if you dont like replacing sliders all the time. thats pretty much all you need to do. they are pretty sweet sleds.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have an 04 Gade X 800 and my buddy has a 2003 Rev 440 that he stores at my house. Occasionally I have to take it out so the gas doesn't go bad from sitting too long
and it is a blast. In a drag race he takes me easily up to about 80 then I gain on him and walk away. As far as the trails in Northern Wisconsin where I live we don't see a lot of 80mph plus(railroad grades), so I think it would be fine. He put on the low comp heads, 10 gallon tank, and a two place oil caddy and he is good to go. Average trail riding I think he get about 80 miles per tank, and off trail(powerlines in the UP) he gets a little bit less. The only problem(not a big one) is jetting. Once you do it once it is no big deal at about 10 minutes. I would say go for the switch. If my buddy sells his sled, I will buy it as a "beater" because you can really beat the snot outta those things. Good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would have to disagree with everyone on this issue. I have gone from an 00 polaris 440 to an 02 arctic cat 440 and now to an 05 800 mxzx. I have raced both cross country and snow cross, and that is what these sleds are made for (racing). That being said, i have upgraded my front shocks to 04 440x's and my rear center shock to an 05 440x. I also upgraded my secondary to a team industries roller secondary and installed an 04 440x track. My dealer was willing to take all the brand new up shocks and track on trade, minimizing to upgrade costs. I have snocrossed this sled and have also ridden this sled offtrack (powder), groomed trail, and ditch banged it. I would recommend this set-up to any aggressive rider. It works fantastic. I have not changed the stock 440 valving, and will not as it works great. Contrary to opinion on this, it doesn't beat one up. Case in point, went on groomed trail ride at cruising speed (50-60 mph in -25 C+). Before i left i moved all the rubber shock bumpers up to the shock bodies, and at the end of the ride, the rubbers were moved right down to the bottom. I am using the whole shock travel at moderate trail speeds, but when i get stupid and want to beat my sled, it doesn't bottom and is completely predictable. I feel i got all the advantages of the 440, without the trade-offs. Just pull the rope and ride. No rejetting, excellent fuel mileage (17.84 mpg on groomed trail at 50-60 mph), power ( no replacement for displacement expecially in powder), regular pump fuel reguirements (87), oil injection, seperate hand and thumb warmer controls and warranty.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good point jack-a -lope maybe i will just revalve the shocks and change the bars and add a 3" riser it would also be hard to give up the electric start and reverse.

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
if your an experienced rider, a 600 is a bit undersized so a 440 is way too small... you will be running it close to wot all too often...

btw - i went from 800x to a 600 SDI, I love the sdi but 600 is just to small... no headroom and that is with tight twisty trail riding... i could care less about anything over 90 mph anyway! but the arm-streching pull of the 800 is missed!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts