Registered
132 Posts
DoubleHill said:
New M8's are on Arctic-cat.com

M8 505 pounds 142 hp
800r XRS 468 pounds 151 hp

looks like the ski-doo won this year
[snapback]753451[/snapback]​
dont celebrate yet, while doo's #'s are impressive.... i dont things are black & white anymore. its not just hp & weight cliams that wins....especially on mtn sleds, its the whole package. i think this is meerly a starting point for evaluation now. the only way to know anymore is to put both sleds on the same hill & proof is in the highmark....IMHO

btw, you left out the price variable....

has anyone seen these 2 sleds hanging on a scale??????

·
Registered
235 Posts
DoubleHill said:

M8 505 pounds 142 hp

You also forgot ski doos 16 in wide track advantage and that 505 is with a 144 it is 515 with a 162 which would be compareable to doos 159 xrs

·
Registered
748 Posts
phatboyfilms said:
DoubleHill said:

M8 505 pounds 142 hp

dont celebrate yet, while doo's #'s are impressive.... i dont things are black & white anymore. its not just hp & weight cliams that wins....especially on mtn sleds, its the whole package. i think this is meerly a starting point for evaluation now. the only way to know anymore is to put both sleds on the same hill & proof is in the highmark....IMHO

btw, you left out the price variable....

has anyone seen these 2 sleds hanging on a scale??????
[snapback]753598[/snapback]​
Ummm being 9 more horse you have way more track speed and 30 less pounds to carry. It's common sense you would out highmark an M8, the real comparison would be 03-06 800HO revs vs. M7 vs. M8......seriously, you could say 98 670 136" summit vs. 07 RT1000 162" and say it's not weight and hp claims that win but I would put my money on the RT1000......IMHO

·
Registered
186 Posts
After seeing the cat website and checking out the specs my money will defenetly be on the XRS. Actually in my opinion I bet the M7 at 135hp and 470-480 pds would maybe take the m8 in the hills. I was starting to get a little worried of all the rumors floating around that the m8 was a 165hp and the m1000 was 180 hp but now I can feel confident that I probably snowchecked the best sled in the 800 xrs. I guess this shows that a guy can't read into all the trash and hype that is on the snowest site.

·
Registered
132 Posts
dont get me wrong here, xrs looks to be impressive sled (i will be riding next dec if my eyes can adjust to the colors). rode 800r 2 wks ago & motor was impressive.

only thing i wonder about is actual weight, seriously, has anyone weighed an 06 800 x?????

·
Registered
132 Posts
if it is just power & weight cliams.....

riddle me this.......how on earth does yami sell a cough cough, 600lb mtn apex w/ 150hp? just because they dont stink like 2stroke????

at $11,000 they aren't giving them away either?

·
Registered
168 Posts
DoubleHill said:

M8 505 pounds 142 hp

Its all speculation until October. Clutching and rider ability play a much greater role in sled performance than HP and sled weight..................................

·
Registered
748 Posts
mtnsld said:
DoubleHill said:

M8 505 pounds 142 hp

Its all speculation until October. Clutching and rider ability play a much greater role in sled performance than HP and sled weight..................................
[snapback]754198[/snapback]​
Yeah true, but we are talking about the sleds themselves, not which one has a better rider and which one is modded better. I'm saying the same rider could do more on a stock X-RS than M7 in power events like highmarking.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm not trying to be a complete jerk here I just don't really see these sleds to be in the same ballpark. 9 horse is a lot on a sled and on a climb that is gonna be quite a bit more track speed on a sled that is 35 lbs. lighter to begin with. If rev had the 505 weight and M8 the 468 I would give it more thought but having that extra power AND the 35 lb. advantage, it just seems like an unfair match to me. Plus who says only Doo would be lying about power and weight, Remember the 05 M7's were 465 lbs, then mysteriously 480 in 06 with no changes. And both the M7 and Rev 800 supposedly dyno about 135-138 and not the 140 they both claim. You really seem like a guy who owns an M7 or what not and joins a brand specific website to stir things up with the people there.

It's hard to know for sure what the 800R puts out for power and the M8 puts out for power, you really just gotta trust the companies. A dyno could test one strong perfect running one that gets 151 hp and then another shop could get one that is just not all there running rich etc. and dyno's 148. Then the guy who dyno's 148 puts it on the internet and BOOM, ski-doo are now officially liars about claims. It could be the same for Cat and Poo and Yami. And people on the net can lie too so you really can't trust anyone on the net. I could lie right now and say I dyno'd an M8 and it only got 138 hp. If I put that on the net it will pass around and sooner or later people will be using my lie as proof that Cat lies because a guy from Iowa dyno'd one at 138 and proved it. So all you can really do is figure every company is lieing a little bit here and there and look at their claims with an open mind saying they are probably more like:
M8 is 509 lbs. 141 hp and the X-RS is 474 lbs. and 149 hp. There ya have it.

But IMHO I think the new M8 is a joke for what cat COULD have done. 2 hp gain and 20 lb. gain. I will never own a sled over 500 lbs. unless I am forced to switch to 4 stroke someday or I got something with Huge power like RT1000 or M1000. In 2007 you think they could have a sled over 140 hp and not be over 500 lbs. That is why Ski-doo are the obvious winners this year. I don't care who ya are, thats common sense.

·
Have been
5,940 Posts
If ski doo is telling the trouth about the power and weight this engine is a litttle more reliable than the 800 HO , mabe if you can get it started in less than 8 pulls of the rope I may get intrested no mericals yet .

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
mydoo said:
If ski doo is telling the trouth about the power and weight this engine is a litttle more reliable than the 800 HO , mabe if you can get it started in less than 8 pulls of the rope I may get intrested no mericals yet .
[snapback]767808[/snapback]​
With Big Johns kit it is now two pulls every time. One short little wimpy pull when it is warm. Only time it takes more is when I forget to put the kill switch tether back on. I love my 800 and would put it up against almost anything.

Mark

·
Registered
386 Posts
I will take doo's reverse anyday, first year for cat with the reverse. Remains to be seen on the weights, we all know doo's weights are a little out there. I will belive it when I see it hanging on a scale. If the 2 sled's come as advertised the doo will have no problem. Stock for stock.

·
Registered
716 Posts
swedesummit said:
I think the diamond drive with push button reverse seems to be a winner against doo´s old drivechain solution
[snapback]768077[/snapback]​
Ill take my RER and convential chaincase over cats "push button" mechanical reverse with diamond drive any day.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I own a 06 Summit X 151 and the Doo site says it weighs 473 lbs. The 07 lit says 10 lbs weight reduction or 463lbs but the go to build it area and the specs say 473 lbs. Where did the 10 lbs go?

·
Registered
132 Posts
phatboyfilms said:
if it is just power & weight cliams.....

riddle me this.......how on earth does yami sell a cough cough, 600lb mtn apex w/ 150hp? just because they dont stink like 2stroke????

at $11,000 they aren't giving them away either?

[snapback]754190[/snapback]​
boy, sure is quite in here..........

·
Registered
177 Posts
cats reverse adds like 10 lbs thats awesome

Davey_Boy said:
swedesummit said:
I think the diamond drive with push button reverse seems to be a winner against doo´s old drivechain solution
[snapback]768077[/snapback]​
Ill take my RER and convential chaincase over cats "push button" mechanical reverse with diamond drive any day.
[snapback]768659[/snapback]​

1 - 20 of 24 Posts