Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just did the motor in my 08 renegade. ran fine when i pulled it (crank runout was out of spec) got it back in and i have no spark, when i pull it over the lights don't flicker and the tach don't move. I'm at my wits end with this now so i turn to you guys. any common issues that i should look for? any plugs that are commonly missed? there are two separate plugs coming from magneto, a four prong and a 5 prong with the yellow wires (i put the red and black wires back into this plug correctly) and my grounds seem to be ok. no electric start. thanks for any help. 99% sure I'm gonna spring order a summit :biggrin_old:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
forgot to mention, stator checks out good as do the pickup coils.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pick up coils in the correct position, pick up with blue wire on bottom?
I'll check that out in the morning. I had the motor built by a reputable shop so I'm hoping they're in the right places. Can they be swapped with out pulling the engine again?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pickup with the blue wire is on the bottom. Anything else I should check?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, ordered a few parts today to solve my issue with this sled.
bu9ase7a.jpg

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But the gade still isn't fixed, shop says stator is gone :mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just went threw the exact same no spark thing and after 5 hours of painstaking continuity testing for broken wires I finally found one. the wire was located in the main wiring harness going to the ecm. it was zip tied to the frame bar that runs from the top of the sled engine compartment to the chassis on the Pipe side. The stupid thing didn't blow a fuse because it didn't short out on the frame it broke where the zip tie was. it was very close to the grey plug. I think it was purple and yellow? either way cut the zip ties that hold the harness to the frame or any other areas and look around for a broken wire. ya never know! could get lucky like I did :wink_old:

if my explanation doesn't help let me know and ill snap a few pics of where mine was broken.

Ian

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Before I would let anyone condemn my stator I would ohms test it myself.

I do not have the specs for you. I would think that someone on the forum knows the stator ohms and tolerance. A quick test to see if either lead is grounded or if the circuit is open would tell you a lot. Usually the stator coil is the two yellow wires in the big plug to the magneto.

No spark can be caused by many things. I would start with the simplest.

The kill switch circuit is full of gotcha points including the ignition switch, emergency switch, 2 throttle control switches, as well as all the wiring that could be shorted or open. I am not familiar with Doo wiring (Poo guy, maybe turning Doo soon).

I would look at a wiring diagram and find the kill circuit to the CDI box. Some kill by grounding this wire, some kill by opening (ungrounding) this wire. A simple ohms test on this lead will tell you if your kill circuit is killing your ignition.

Also, stators don't just go bad, they burn up from too much current. Where did such a load come from? A short? A bad voltage regulator? If they just want to replace the stator without determining why it fried then you should get a second opinion.

I would definitely check that all the major grounds (battery, engine, chassis, voltage regulator, etc.) are good using a multi-meter.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just went threw the exact same no spark thing and after 5 hours of painstaking continuity testing for broken wires I finally found one. the wire was located in the main wiring harness going to the ecm. it was zip tied to the frame bar that runs from the top of the sled engine compartment to the chassis on the Pipe side. The stupid thing didn't blow a fuse because it didn't short out on the frame it broke where the zip tie was. it was very close to the grey plug. I think it was purple and yellow? either way cut the zip ties that hold the harness to the frame or any other areas and look around for a broken wire. ya never know! could get lucky like I did :wink_old:
if my explanation doesn't help let me know and ill snap a few pics of where mine was broken.

Ian
I finally got ahold of the guy working on my sled, he said there's a wire from the voltage regulator that's shorted to ground somewhere. He wants to throw a harness at it, I'm thinking I'm gonna pick it up and try to sort this out myself. How much to the harness is there? Is it a giant rats nest or something fairly easy to pull apart and trace out?

·
Stupid Hurts!!!!!!
3,179 Posts
Get the schematic from the dealer. Trace the wire in question. Motor rebuild maybe look for a pinched wire from reinstalled motor. Not hard to do. Know how to use a digital meter?

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Get the schematic from the dealer. Trace the wire in question. Motor rebuild maybe look for a pinched wire from reinstalled motor. Not hard to do. Know how to use a digital meter?
I'm a journeyman electrician, I can probably figure one out :p the problem is I'm working outta town on a 14/7 turnaround and also in the middle of renovating a house. I don't have much time to fool with the sled right now. I found a used wiring harness on eBay for $75 that I'll swap in instead of tearing apart the old one. If that don't work I'm just gonna sell the damn thing for parts lol

·
SkiDoo Guru
19,342 Posts
ck the red wire out of the voltage reg to see if it's grounded to the rivet next to it .this was a problem on the 08s .the wires under the tank also rubbed thru . :wink_old:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts