Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner

800etec- coolant leak

5K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  OH800RIO 
#1 ·
Sled slep outside at about -27.

started her up in the morning, then coolant stated to leak from where it seems to be under the cab/engine. it seemed to be coming form under the clutch or close to that.

stated to take her apart to see if it was maybe a bad hose that clipped off or something but at first view everything looks fine.

where does the overflow spit on my 2011 freeride?

where and what should I chek exactly?

thanks

#2 ·
Do you have a skid plate or front heat exchanger protector? Roll the sled over and check that the front tunnel exchanger is tight to the bulkhead. Stuff can catch it and cause it to separate from inside. Horrible repair, my buddy had to do it last year on his Freeride. Motor has to come out.

#3 ·
Do you have a skid plate or front heat exchanger protector? Roll the sled over and check that the front tunnel exchanger is tight to the bulkhead. Stuff can catch it and cause it to separate from inside. Horrible repair, my buddy had to do it last year on his Freeride. Motor has to come out.
I do have the skid plate and have no clue how to chek the tunnel exchanger can you clarifie or have a picture. im pretty visual.

Thanks

#4 ·
Oooh, I don't have a picture, but if you have the skid plate it's probably not that. The coolant goes through the bulkhead into the tunnel through that front tunnel heat exchanger, so the flanges for it are in the engine compartment. I'd pull the clutch and you might be able to see those flanges.

#6 ·
I just got my 2014 back last week after having a rubber coolant hose rub a hole in the line. It is about an 8 in. rubber hose that sits behind the block. The vibration from the motor rubbed a hole right through this line. The system even pressure checked out fine with this hole in there yet I was always leaking coolant out. Dealer finally found this after I took it to them when I started to see coolant under the clutches. Took them over a week to find out where it was coming from. Rode over 400 miles last weekend and for the first time in over a year there was still coolant in the bottle after a weekend of riding. :smile_old:

#7 ·
I just got my 2014 back last week after having a rubber coolant hose rub a hole in the line. It is about an 8 in. rubber hose that sits behind the block. The vibration from the motor rubbed a hole right through this line. The system even pressure checked out fine with this hole in there yet I was always leaking coolant out. Dealer finally found this after I took it to them when I started to see coolant under the clutches. Took them over a week to find out where it was coming from. Rode over 400 miles last weekend and for the first time in over a year there was still coolant in the bottle after a weekend of riding. :smile_old:
I have a 2014 and I dont want this problem. Next time I am in there I should check the hoses.

#10 ·
My 2013 has done this since new. Changed out all the accessible clamps. Still leaks when really cold. But only until the coolant drops out of the redsivior when cold. As long as I run it a little emptier than normal, It doesn't leak. If it really bothers you the only way to fix it is to change all the hose clamps.

#11 ·
I had a similar issue with my 14. I had put a new belt on in the beginning of the weekend, then towards the end of our ride I noticed antifreeze under the sled when we stopped. It had blown all over the clutches and belt. Took it to the dealer and they found a hose with a hole from rubbing. Repaired no problem. Following weekend, I blew the belt on a wide open run later in the day, which had been soaked in antifreeze!!

#12 ·
I had a similar issue with my 14. I had put a new belt on in the beginning of the weekend, then towards the end of our ride I noticed antifreeze under the sled when we stopped. It had blown all over the clutches and belt. Took it to the dealer and they found a hose with a hole from rubbing. Repaired no problem. Following weekend, I blew the belt on a wide open run later in the day, which had been soaked in antifreeze!!
Anyone have picture of this rubbing hose, makes it easyer for me to chel exactly where it is

#13 ·
i had a similar problem. rubbed a hole through bleeder hose part no. 509000502. had a heckuva time finding the leak. had to hold it a certain way and it would spray out. it just sitting in place, you wouldn't think it was leaking. never determined the cause either.

#15 ·
Have hopefully the same issue right now. Had to get the wife to bring the truck. Did t want to chance a melt down. Have coolant in the rt footwell and jug is empty. The ride startedbat -15 deg and ended at 23degF went to gas up, shut the engine off and noticed a bit of steam. I was hitting a few drifts so didnt think much till i fired it back up to move it so buddy could gas up. When i shut it off it steamed again. This time i noticed an antifreeze smell and the air tasted sweet like antifreeze. Trailered it the last 25miles

#17 ·
I have the same sled but 2012 and same thing happened to me. I read that this is an issue with these years when it cools down when it's really cold. Ski Doo says it's a known issue but it doesn't leak enough to worry about as no one has reported major loss of coolant. Apparently the clips they use on the hoses are trash. I just kept a little Gatorade bottle of coolant in my bag in case and checked it every morning. Only did it when it was super cold out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#21 ·
It was the coolant hose on mine. It goes from the throttle boddy goes under jackshaft then up to coolant housing. Cant post pic for some reason. The 2 clear hoses at stator aide that wrap around corner of cylinder has a 2 tie dracket that cuts the coolant hose. Glad I cought mine in time b4 a melt down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.