Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Advanced......dat's how ah roll.
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My summit 800 runs exactly 8000 rpm W.O.T. Is this too high? As I recall the max rpm should be 7850. Should I adjust clutches to run lower rpm? I believe one click is like 200 rpm. Also, how do I know the gauge is accurate? Is this a guessing game? I've heard factory gauges can be off as much as 5%. The sled has run great for 3 seasons, I'm a little hesitant to mess with it, but of course I don't want to blow the thing up.

·
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did some looking and I see that 7850 is correct max rpm, and the clickers adjust 200 rpm each click, and I think going DOWN a click brings the rpm's DOWN. So I'm thinking I will go one click down, from 3 to 2, and that should put me a a safe rpm. Hopefully it won't be doggy after that. Shouldn't be, if it's overreving, this should make it run better. Theoretically.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Right now, I am running the solid pins and the clicker is set to 3. The sled seems to go right up to just below 8000 and stay there. I am leaving it there for now. There is some variation in the gauge and actual rpm. I was going to see what the variation is with a pulse tach. As for now though I am not at all concerned with over-reving, just keeping an eye on the tach and watching how it behaves.

·
Registered
714 Posts
02summit800 said:
My summit 800 runs exactly 8000 rpm W.O.T. Is this too high? As I recall the max rpm should be 7850. Should I adjust clutches to run lower rpm? I believe one click is like 200 rpm. Also, how do I know the gauge is accurate? Is this a guessing game? I've heard factory gauges can be off as much as 5%. The sled has run great for 3 seasons, I'm a little hesitant to mess with it, but of course I don't want to blow the thing up.
[snapback]261939[/snapback]​
You are right about them running at 7850 rpm. Although a lot of people say that the ski doo tach is about 200 rpms high. With my 02 800 I have noticed that it likes to run better around 8000 than 7800. So I have mine clutched to run at 8000 and right now she is running awesome.

·
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, I'm leaving her alone then. Thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts