Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how long do most of you think a 800 twin will last before a rebuilt is required? I am not counting the flaking ring issue just other potential problems someone may occur from mileage.
Also what do you think of Wiesco Pistons & rings for replacements?
I know of Yamaha twins and Vmax 4 engines with over 18,000 miles and never been opened. Will the 800 Rotex last that long?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've wondered the same thing. I put 24 thousand miles on my '99 800 triple so I've got high expectations. As for Wiseco pistons.... forget them for two strokes. Do a search, much debate.

·
Registered
36 Posts
madmaxx said:
Just wondering how long do most of you think a 800 twin will last before a rebuilt is required? I am not counting the flaking ring issue just other potential problems someone may occur from mileage.
I know of Yamaha twins and Vmax 4 engines with over 18,000 miles and never been opened. Will the 800 Rotex last that long?
[snapback]293960[/snapback]​
I think it all depends on if you modified the motor or not. On the modied motors they will not make it much past 4 to 5 thousand miles. On stock rings and pistons. It is still not know on the new rings and pistons from Doo. We will see on these new chrome rings. I here good from some good performance shops on running chrome rings. But theres are a different chrome ring then the ones Doo offers now.
I have heard of a guy with over 12,000 miles with no problem. But he does not have any mods at all.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
billsdoo said:
madmaxx said:
[snapback]293960[/snapback]​
I think it all depends on if you modified the motor or not. On the modied motors they will not make it much past 4 to 5 thousand miles. On stock rings and pistons. It is still not know on the new rings and pistons from Doo. We will see on these new chrome rings. I here good from some good performance shops on running chrome rings. But theres are a different chrome ring then the ones Doo offers now.
I have heard of a guy with over 12,000 miles with no problem. But he does not have any mods at all.
[snapback]294355[/snapback]​
I know of a 01 800ZX, one of my old sleds, it has 15000km on it, it still goes 105mph that's all it did when I owned it, the guy really looks after it, never know it's 4 years old, everything still original(even shocks) sliders and belts that's all thats changed.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My buddys 03 800 just had a piston skirt break and ruin the engine at 13,500 kms. He is over 50 years old, drives good and quick but would rarely have it pinned. It certainly has me thinking where my 800 has 9000kms.
So we buy 800 2 strokes, pay a little less than Yamaha 4 strokes, and after 2 years have to buy a motor?? Sounds like I may jump ship after many years with bombardier.

·
Registered
97 Posts
02 Gade 6500 mi lost mag side bearings.rode 800 more and sucked some bad fuel and lost pto side pison and jug. Sled was really going good !

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
300 hrs according to BRP. 190 on mine before it just went - but that's under above normal use. Riding groomed trails or?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts