Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Mega Wicked Advanced Member
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of an 800 PT for next year but all the talk on here of them burning down scares me a bit.

One thing I've thought of doing would be going with larger jets to richen (is that a word) it up a bit. I assume I would also have to increase oil flow to match fuel flow.

I know I would give up some HP and fuel economy but it might be worth it so save the engine.

What do you guys think?? Am I way off on this one? Will is screw with the DPM?

Some opinions on this would help. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I guess the new "polished" rods aren't any stronger than last years if not worse. Extra oil never hurts but if it's heat related, I'm afraid it's not fixable. I'll give BRP the benefit of the doubt here and hope that it's an isolated incident with their supplier who manufactures the rods for them. Would anyone agree? Lets face it, the SDI & powertek bottom ends run hot and we pound the hell out of them.

·
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other thing I was thinking about doing was leaving the jetting alone and dropping in a cup of oil in every tank

·
Registered
544 Posts
05REVSTER said:
The other thing I was thinking about doing was leaving the jetting alone and dropping in a cup of oil in every tank

[snapback]746779[/snapback]​
That's a happy idea to add oil... but if the jetting is already on the ragged edge of too lean, adding oil will only serve to further lean out the mixture. It displaces some of the fuel which is metered by volume through the jets. You'd do better to turn up your oil pump if you wanted more oil.

·
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
GSX800LTD said:
05REVSTER said:

[snapback]746779[/snapback]​
That's a happy idea to add oil... but if the jetting is already on the ragged edge of too lean, adding oil will only serve to further lean out the mixture. It displaces some of the fuel which is metered by volume through the jets. You'd do better to turn up your oil pump if you wanted more oil.
[snapback]746817[/snapback]​
That's why I love this site. Thanks for the feedback that is really good to know!

·
Registered
544 Posts
From what I've gleaned here so far, I choose to:

1) Doo compression checks after every ride

2) Inspect the carb boots

3) Leave the oil pump setting dumping in LOTS of oil

4) Only run premium fuel (as per BRP recomendations)

5) Limit WOT to 10 second blasts

6) Inspect for loose manifold bolts

·
ITs WINTER!
7,497 Posts
If your going to rejet, if anything it should be the pilots you go up on. But if you want to run premix and injection your going to have to go up on both or your going to end up with a nice hole through the top of your piston!

·
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really the pilots? I thought you'd have to worry about WOT the most?

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK... here we go. How many 800 PT's were sold in 2006? What kind of percentage are we looking at that are having engine problems? Dealers say everything is fine of course but here on DOO TALK it seems everyone with one of these are blowing up at some point !!!!

·
Registered
0 Posts
GSX800LTD said:

[snapback]746836[/snapback]​
Yep that sounds like a fun sled to own!
The other option is to buy something else like I did and just put gas in it, don't worry about oil or oil pumps, put whatever gas you want in it and hold the thing WOT till you run out of nerve!

P.S: The only boots you should care about are the ones you wear on your feet!

·
2,041 Posts
pistol said:
OK... here we go. How many 800 PT's were sold in 2006? What kind of percentage are we looking at that are having engine problems? Dealers say everything is fine of course but here on DOO TALK it seems everyone with one of these are blowing up at some point !!!!
[snapback]746903[/snapback]​
I think the over all number is probably low. I started a poll on the topic and it looked like around 17% had failures. Of those 17% some probably had mods that may have contributed. I think most Dootalkers are probably pretty hard on their machines so if there is a problem you'll hear about it here.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?&a...9&mode=show&st=

·
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jds800Rev said:
GSX800LTD said:

The other option is to buy something else like I did and just put gas in it, don't worry about oil or oil pumps, put whatever gas you want in it and hold the thing WOT till you run out of nerve!

[snapback]746911[/snapback]​
Sure the Apex has a wicked engine and it's a great sled but for some of us 11.5" of travel just doesn't cut it. I'm not knocking the Apex I think it is a great sled. It just wouldn't work for me.

·
Registered
222 Posts
pistol said:
Good question. All I know is you see 10 Doo's to 1 Cat, Poo, & Yam together.

·
Registered
206 Posts
05REVSTER said:
pistol said:
I think the over all number is probably low. I started a poll on the topic and it looked like around 17% had failures. Of those 17% some probably had mods that may have contributed. I think most Dootalkers are probably pretty hard on their machines so if there is a problem you'll hear about it here.

http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?&a...9&mode=show&st=
[snapback]746912[/snapback]​
The other thing to consider is how much the owners are riding them. This was another year with widespread snow drought across the country and as a result total sled usage/mileage is way down. If we had more snow you'd probably hear of more incidents. Low snow hurts sales but helps warranty claims.

·
Registered
544 Posts
jds800Rev said:
GSX800LTD said:

[snapback]746911[/snapback]​
I didn't say I liked doing that stuff... but I am where I am, in for $8K. I was hoping for the rock of Gibralter reliability I had with all my other Rotax's. As for the riding, we all agree that no other sled can do what the REV chassis can do.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
My Mechanic at the dealership turned up my oil pump after he installed my new motor last week and put 2 quarts of oil in my gas tank for the break-in tank, Ran really rich for that tank and seems to run fine now after that was burned out. Really drinks a lot of oil tho, I put on 140 miles yesterday and burned up almost 3 quarts of oil, motor ran good tho not real rich after the first tank was gone

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
05REVSTER said:
I am thinking of an 800 PT for next year but all the talk on here of them burning down scares me a bit.

One thing I've thought of doing would be going with larger jets to richen (is that a word) it up a bit. I assume I would also have to increase oil flow to match fuel flow.

I know I would give up some HP and fuel economy but it might be worth it so save the engine.

[snapback]746759[/snapback]​
The rev is by far the best riding sled but these powertek motors I dont think are real durable I have an 05 800x and I blew the top half wiyh 3200 miles on it and my dealer told me that I cold siezed it, they said I didnt let the motor warm up enough but i dont by that I always start my sled up 5 minutes before I ride. Im hearing alot of guys on this web site blowing these motors up! Oh yeah almost forgot the rev rides alot better then an apex my buddy bought one and they are heavy as hell and you cant throw them around like a rev!

·
Registered
799 Posts
05REVSTER said:

[snapback]746759[/snapback]​
The rev is by far the best riding sled but these powertek motors I dont think are real durable I have an 05 800x and I blew the top half wiyh 3200 miles on it and my dealer told me that I cold siezed it, they said I didnt let the motor warm up enough but i dont by that I always start my sled up 5 minutes before I ride. Im hearing alot of guys on this web site blowing these motors up! Oh yeah almost forgot the rev rides alot better then an apex my buddy bought one and they are heavy as hell and you cant throw them around like a rev!

[snapback]790103[/snapback]​
I cold seized my sled this winter too. I had been riding it for hours. Stopped a few minutes just before a quick blast across a lake. seized up when I came off the lake. weird.

i have an 02 800 though. how long were you running the sled for b4 she blew? what kinda oil?

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
They're lean in the mid range you need to richen your pilotsand/or raise your needles

1 - 20 of 22 Posts