Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend my stock 05 800 HO Summit burned down on the PTO side. I had approx. 300 miles on new chrome rings. I was curious as to what happened so I pulled the head and found the top of the piston melted on exhaust side and the ring was broke. The cylinder wall is toast where the ring broke on the exhaust side. Mag side looked fine-plug color was good and wash was good. I really can't find anything wrong that should have caused this-intake looks sealed good and PTO seal looks good. It was rather cold the morning that this happened but I had carb heaters on. The sled was running fine and then it started loosing power and it would not idle. Carbs were clean and fuel was good 92 octane. I had noticed a wierd vibration in the engine at full throttle a couple days before the engine failure which makes me think that it had started to melt down long before the ring failed. Anyone have something like this happen? Did you have a problem getting it warranteed through Ski-Doo?

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Well, its' warranty time. If you have any mod or aftermarket things on your engine, put the stock stuff back on and take it in. You could have it back with in two weeks if your dealer's any good.

Good luck!

·
Registered
151 Posts
SummitZx said:
This past weekend my stock 05 800 HO Summit burned down on the PTO side. I had approx. 300 miles on new chrome rings. I was curious as to what happened so I pulled the head and found the top of the piston melted on exhaust side and the ring was broke. The cylinder wall is toast where the ring broke on the exhaust side. Mag side looked fine-plug color was good and wash was good. I really can't find anything wrong that should have caused this-intake looks sealed good and PTO seal looks good. It was rather cold the morning that this happened but I had carb heaters on. The sled was running fine and then it started loosing power and it would not idle. Carbs were clean and fuel was good 92 octane. I had noticed a wierd vibration in the engine at full throttle a couple days before the engine failure which makes me think that it had started to melt down long before the ring failed. Anyone have something like this happen? Did you have a problem getting it warranteed through Ski-Doo?

[snapback]712636[/snapback]​
I had the same thing happen a couple days ago. I was riding it and it started making noise while accelerating and then stopped on me. I beleive it is the pto side. It is an 04 800 ho with 2800 miles on it. Pretty sickening but I was wondering how long the warranty is on a new sled? Sled ran awesome with no complaints from me since new. Figuring calling the dealer about the problem is probably a waste of time but it kinda seems like a common problem.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sled is going to the dealer today. I have the two year warranty on mine. I really can't find anything wrong with it that should have caused this

·
Registered
151 Posts
SummitZx said:
Sled is going to the dealer today. I have the two year warranty on mine. I really can't find anything wrong with it that should have caused this
[snapback]713292[/snapback]​
I guess I only have a 12 month warranty but I'm going to call the dealer and check. This sucks the sled looks brand new but engine is junk.

·
Registered
1 Posts
snowbyrd said:
i am looking to buy a blown up rev, if anyone is interested give me a call @ 253 312 3066, brian

[snapback]717109[/snapback]​
probably had a poor batch of fuel--its all too common for premium fuel to sit in the stations tanks for way too long!

·
Registered
334 Posts
therealsnowdog said:
The 04s and 05s had bad locator pins in the pistons. I bet the ring spun around and caught on a port.
[snapback]717885[/snapback]​
I'll second that. Thats how mine went boom.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Could you explain more about this locator pin? I plan on redoing my rings, and don't want to do something wrong and loose my engine.

Thanks....Alaskan

G

·
my 05 800 burned down yesterday it was the PTO side piston and cylinder if BRP ( Brainwashed Recreational Products ) does not help me out with this problem i will buy a Yammie. By the way my sled only has 1300 mi on it !!!
SummitZx said:

[snapback]712636[/snapback]​

·
Sponsors
3,965 Posts
03 to 05 800s had bad rings & locator pins. ALL The rings flaked and some of the pins would get loose and either falls out or wear down enough to let ring spin and catch a port. Me and two of my riding bros. had this problem. 1 fell out, 1 little chunks from the pin and ring trashed the side of piston. So when I saw both of theirs I changed mine and mine were starting to wear on the locator pins. Skidoo changed piston manufactures in 06. You have several ways to go, I went with SPI pistons and Chrome rings worked well for me and was the cheapest way cause I did the work myself no warranty. Dynamo Joe is running Wisco double rings he said he likes them. If you have warranty go with updated Doo pistons. I wish I could have had the cash for the RK Tech Kit set up. Hope I was some help.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Idahodoo said:
03 to 05 800s had bad rings & locator pins. ALL The rings flaked and some of the pins would get loose and either falls out or wear down enough to let ring spin and catch a port. Me and two of my riding bros. had this problem. 1 fell out, 1 little chunks from the pin and ring trashed the side of piston. So when I saw both of theirs I changed mine and mine were starting to wear on the locator pins. Skidoo changed piston manufactures in 06. You have several ways to go, I went with SPI pistons and Chrome rings worked well for me and was the cheapest way cause I did the work myself no warranty. Dynamo Joe is running Wisco double rings he said he likes them. If you have warranty go with updated Doo pistons. I wish I could have had the cash for the RK Tech Kit set up. Hope I was some help.

[snapback]724079[/snapback]​
Failed rings or locating pins that fail will not cause a lean burn like he described.....exhaust side burn is caused by a lean situation, possibly too hot in the midrange, too long at WOT, wrong main jet for your elevation and temps, all these can contribute to lean failure. Now once the exhaust side edge of that piston was eaten away, you can bet that the ring will catch and snap off and then cause all kinds of damage in the cylinder.

If you had holed the center of the piston, I'd assume either a case seal or a very bad carb boot. But in your situation, it could very well have been a slightly leaking base gasket allowing just enough extra air into the cylinder to lean it out and slowly eat away the exhaust edge of the piston. You mentioned the pistons had recently been replaced. Always start with the most current change to the sled and work from there.

As far as warranty coverage is concerned, it will depend a lot on how thorough the dealer is and how they present the failure for a warranty claim. Pistons, in general, are not universally covered under warranty. You might say, how can that be? Well in your initial diagnosis, you stated there isn't anything that readily points to a cause of the failure. For warranty coverage to occur, you need a specific cause for the piston failure. I.E. the oil injection fitting developed a crack at the seam, resulting in decreased oil flow to that cylinder, which caused the piston failure and scoring of the cylinder. Now any service manager worth their reputation knows how to use creative writing and link piston failures to probable causes that will get covered by the OEM, but it does take a bit more work and effort on their part when there is nothing conclusive- which makes it very easy for the OEM to blame improper jetting, poor fuel, lack of maintenance, etc. and deny the claim.

Again, I am not suggesting they won't cover you, but I am merely pointing out the facts that go in to warranty claims on recreational products, especially sleds. I just love it when person 'x' steps up and boldly proclaims that they will switch brands if Polaris/Skidoo/Yamaha/Cat doesn't repair their sled. When in fact, they do not have to, under the coverage of the warranty policy that they provided [and when you actually read the fine print, they all are about 100% the same]. You cannot assume that since your current brand didn't fix it, some other brand will [or that some other brand won't fail]. The truth is, they all break, they all have issues, and as we like to say: computers, cars, motorcycles, and snowmobiles- they're all junk! you just have to decide whos junk you are going to live with.

Breaking down sucks. Hard to explain failures are even worse to deal with. But in the end, it's only a mechanical object, nothing is impossible to fix.

ps- If you do get BRP to cover part or all of the repairs, talk with the service manager and have him credit the OEM parts towards either a set of SPI pistons, Wisecos, RKTek drops or even towards an 840 kit. No reason they can't do that for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts