Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just trying to wrap my head around the oil flow in the etec while I rebuild it.
The oil in the cavity for the water pump drive, is it in there sealed up until it gets torn down again or does new oil get pumped in while engine running?
I’ve tried searching it, but can’t seem to find the answer.
thanks in advance.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There is only one line going to that cavity, and it’s not an oil line, so I assume it’s just a vent line so it doesn’t build up pressure and the oil that I put in stays in there…

· Registered
2005 gtx 800 limited
13 Posts
I am not as familiar with the etec so someone may chime in and correct me but if it's like the series 3 engines that vent tube you are talking about goes to the oil reservoir about 3/4 of the way up so everytime you fill the reservoir it replenishes the oil in the center cavity.

· Registered
2012 Freeride 137(Sold), 2022 XRS 900 T R(Sold), 2020 FreeRide 154, 2023 Expedition Xtreme 900 T R
3,052 Posts
Something tells me me that is not right. What if an owner never put that much oil in. . . .(Why am I thinking oil "circulates" back to the tank. . .)

· Premium Member
29,681 Posts
I am not as familiar with the etec so someone may chime in and correct me but if it's like the series 3 engines that vent tube you are talking about goes to the oil reservoir about 3/4 of the way up so everytime you fill the reservoir it replenishes the oil in the center cavity.
For some reason it was moved even further up the oil tank on the XP and newer chassis. It seemed to me better at the 3/4 mark.

· Premium Member
29,681 Posts
Something tells me me that is not right. What if an owner never put that much oil in. . . .(Why am I thinking oil "circulates" back to the tank. . .)
No one knows why it is that way. I completely fill the cavity using the vacuum method, but I have no idea if this is right. It would be a good question for BRP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts