Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 800 etec. 5000 miles. Sleds running hot when riding on groomed trails. averaging 45-50 mph and the heat gauge will rise VERY close to overhead mode. Gave me a quick warning last night then i jumped into a field and it dropped back down to 4 bars of heat on the gauge instantly.

Did this to me last week so i checked coolant, noticed it was upto the CAP in coolant so i popped the cap when it was cold, left cap off and let it run with front up high and pretty sure it got a little bit of air out. Coolant now sits down to the cold line again.

Drove for 2 hours on trails last night, heat stayed perfect (4-5 bars) Then on my way home again, it started to rise on packed trails. Lots of snow kick up so i dont understand it!!

Anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Anti freeze level is normal? Maybe weak water pump... Hard to say. My gade never runs over 4 bars but i have scratchers down 95% of the time. If the snow is good yea i agree you shouldnt need scratchers to stay cool

·
Premium Member
8,339 Posts
I was thinking that, but ive never seen a newer sled have issues with heat on a fairly decent trail. How could a sled heat up that bed when riding on snow. 1 1/4 track
Is your rear suspension too much preload and snow flap a little high off the ground?

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Etec runs on the edge of hot all the time.

No cut snow flap or they run hott

If your suspension is cranked and you don't have flap almost at snow level they run hot

No studs can also be a problem in hard hard packed snow

Scratchers help and if you can spin the track a bit it will help snow up onto the cooler.

·
old ski-dool
3,313 Posts
I'm sorry but maybe I need some schooling on this scratcher craze.
I can't see, for the life of me, how a scratcher will help cool the sled. The primary goal of a scratcher is to lube the sliders. With them mounted on the slider rails, I still don't see how the front of the slider, the highest wear point, gets any relief from them. Maybe the ski mounted ones, but wouldn't they be more usefull mounted to the inside of the ski?

Please shed some light on this for an old school dood.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
My 800 runs hot also at slower trail speeds and over 25 degrees, added both ski scratchers and rail scratchers, but have only ridden in Quebec at higher speeds so have not tested my scratchers. I kept thinking I had air in cooling system as cold level always seems low but every time I fill the tank it just goes low when cold and what a PITA these XS's are getting at the coolant cap.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm sorry but maybe I need some schooling on this scratcher craze.
I can't see, for the life of me, how a scratcher will help cool the sled. The primary goal of a scratcher is to lube the sliders. With them mounted on the slider rails, I still don't see how the front of the slider, the highest wear point, gets any relief from them. Maybe the ski mounted ones, but wouldn't they be more usefull mounted to the inside of the ski?

Please shed some light on this for an old school dood.
They lube the slides yes, but they also throw snow in the tunnel to aid in cooling.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is your rear suspension too much preload and snow flap a little high off the ground?
I adjusted my suspension, and this fixed the problem. Runs way cooler and it was maybe a difference of 1 inch. Im impressed, thanks for the help. Still may look into some scratchers once brp makes some for the XS chassis :/

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I was. Running my xrs. And we had to ride a section of snow covered rd. It heated up quick to the point i thought i was gonna have to stop. No light came on just was watching temp bars in display.

It was 15 degrees out too.

How did u adjust your preload. Just by torsion spring setting

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I installed engine tech t stat housing and went from riding 5 to 6 bars in + 0C temps to 4 bars all the time. I was amazed. Get a t stat and scratchers for low snow conditions.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
When does the light come on for over heat.

Not really looking to mod a 14000 dollar sled. And i have 4/yeR Warranty which i assume would be voided

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
I have been running 6-7 bars for the past couple years.

Low snow is worse.

But even in good snow I was always watching the temp gauge.

I figured I would try scratchers this year. What the heck, might as well try them.

I installed these.......https://www.gobigparts.com/ICE-STORM-REVERSIBLE-ICE-SCRATCHER-BY-OVER-THE-TOP-PERFORMANCE.html

I thought scratchers were a gimmick....until I tried them.

Went for a good ride yesterday, snow conditions were WAY less than ideal.

On hard pack roads with very minimal snow; 5-6 bars.

Any snow at all and I was running 4 bars all the time.

I was amazed!

I was overly pleased with how the scratchers performed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am using a terra alps thermostat and it is running hot. Trail riding at 160 temp in good snow, I even made my snow flap longer.Any one have problems with terra alps low temp thermostat?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I am using a terra alps thermostat and it is running hot. Trail riding at 160 temp in good snow, I even made my snow flap longer.Any one have problems with terra alps low temp thermostat?
Something wrong. Angle it up burp it and see what that does.

·
Registered
291 Posts
My 2011 was doing the same thing yesterday. Today I started it up. Let it warm up. Drove it up into my tilt trailer. Shut it down. I couldn't believe the air that came out. I put it level. Filled it up. Tilted trailer. Did this three times and no air bubbles after third time. Now I need more snow to go test it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 125 Posts