Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to the forum here. Thanks in advance for any thought or advise regarding my issue.

I have a 2012 mxz x 800r etec. 1500 miles. The piston recall was done around 1000 miles if I remember correctly.

Anyway, Just recently after pulling my sled out of storage for this season, I starting having issues with my sled stalling out when trying to go into reverse.

I let it warm up to operating temp.

new belt and clean clutches, proper deflection. ( even does it with belt off the machine)

Checked compression - 150 psi both cylinders.

battery is reading 12.7 volts with machine off and 14.4 with machine idling.

If i rev the machine a couple hundred rpm above idle it will work. It will also sometimes work at normal idle which seems to be steady at 1050rpm. Im thinking it was closer to 1200 rpm last season though... maybe old gas??

Im stumped at this point. will be changing plugs today and will update with any change.

The only thing I did different this year was add a hardwired to battery gps mount. Problem is unchanged by this plugged in or not.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
Fresh fuel for sure.

Also install new spark plugs. Good Luck.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fresh fuel for sure.

Also install new spark plugs. Good Luck.
Thanks man.

Do you really think its that fuel sensitive? (first etec here). It starts right up electric start (or first pull hot or cold if i use the rope). I only ran non ethanol 91 octane and treated with startron before storage early this year...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Update:

I got myself a new, nice quality, compression tester. My old one was a cheap harbor freight model that I had to somewhat guess what the actual compression was over the reading on the gauge. Anyway, compression is actually 165 psi both cylinders(cold). So that's nice to see!

I installed new spark plugs, let it run through its warm up procedure, and my idle is now back at 1200 rpm and rer works properly again, to and from reverse.

Maybe the old plugs were just worn enough to affect it along with burning off the extra summarizing oil? Also when I originally removed the mag side plug I was very surprised to feel it was as loose as it was.. even some combustion residue/ oil all the way up the thread.. Maybe was loosing some compression here??

So I am a happy camper, and excited to be hitting the trails in northern WI / Upper Michigan next week.

Reactions: Ski-B
1 - 4 of 4 Posts