Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any way to correctly/permanently repair a monoblock with a crack into the water jacket?

Im also looking for a good used/reman 800 etec monoblock for sale, without needing a good core return

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
The plating shop will weld the crack for an extra $50 over the usual plating fees.

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
I've sold monoblocks to US Chrome with cracks for good money. Unless it's in pieces you should be able to use it for a core. Monoblocks seem to be in fairly high demand...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've sold monoblocks to US Chrome with cracks for good money. Unless it's in pieces you should be able to use it for a core. Monoblocks seem to be in fairly high demand...
Its just a crack into the water jacket, ive tried using it as a core to two different places somewhat locally in new york and both told me they dont accept cracked water jackets. Does us chrome sell reman monoblocks or any other suggestions where to get one or get one fixed

·
Registered
211 Posts
Its just a crack into the water jacket, ive tried using it as a core to two different places somewhat locally in new york and both told me they dont accept cracked water jackets. Does us chrome sell reman monoblocks or any other suggestions where to get one or get one fixed
Picture of crack?

·
Super Moderator
9,641 Posts
US Chrome
Millennium Technologies

I'm sure there are a handful of others worth your time, but those seem to be the most well known.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just did a monoblock for rechrome and it had a crack in eghaust port, to Fast Enteprise in Manitoba, they told me as long as its not ported or have a crack into water jacket they will take it in on a exchange

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
Do you have a preferred machine shop to do the welding and replating?
I don't really. A cracked block is a pet peeve of mine. I did however find a plating shop that didn't blame it on the operator, which I thought would be impossible during a long exhaustive search across the countries. I find nothing worse then being told the engine wasn't warmed-up or whatever other blind comments I got thrown at me. I can tell you that this doesn't usually happen on an 800RE with OEM pistons as it has more piston clearance per diameter bore than any other engine that I know. If they happen to be forged pistons, then you'll know what to do with this one to keep it from happening again ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't really. A cracked block is a pet peeve of mine. I did however find a plating shop that didn't blame it on the operator, which I thought would be impossible during a long exhaustive search across the countries. I find nothing worse then being told the engine wasn't warmed-up or whatever other blind comments I got thrown at me. I can tell you that this doesn't usually happen on an 800RE with OEM pistons as it has more piston clearance per diameter bore than any other engine that I know. If they happen to be forged pistons, then you'll know what to do with this one to keep it from happening again ;)
Definitely stock pistons, i dont know what caused the motor to pop i bought it this way. The rave valve was stuck in the port on the side that detonated, not sure if this caused the piston to slam the wall or if this happenend after the fact( no damage to the valve). So really just trying to figure out if the monoblock is savable before i go and buy one, im not very familiar with cylinder machining

·
Premium Member
27,927 Posts
Definitely stock pistons, i dont know what caused the motor to pop i bought it this way. The rave valve was stuck in the port on the side that detonated, not sure if this caused the piston to slam the wall or if this happened after the fact( no damage to the valve). So really just trying to figure out if the monoblock is savable before i go and buy one, im not very familiar with cylinder machining
The monoblock is usually salvageable. A simple picture sent to a plating shop will answer that question within minutes. Something that I keep in mind with a $2,000 rebuild is that there is no warranty. The ones that detonate worry me the most and I spend a lot of time going through everything with a fine tooth comb. I won't even do it unless I know what caused the failure, or I can monitor the engine closely.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts