Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 800 Etec this past summer with 4000 miles, and had the factory recall rebuild about 1000 miles ago. I checked the coolant level back in summer, all looked good. This past weekend was my first time riding it. Ran awesome for 3 days and several hundred miles, no leaks of any kind. At the end of our last ride, a friend (first time rider) wants to "try it out" since he's been riding a slow rental our whole trip. He rips it around the lake, where there is minimal snow cover. I'm sure it got hot, although he was only out there a couple minutes. Comes back and shuts it off. It sits overnight and I go to load it up onto the trailer the next morning. As I'm driving up the trailer ramp, I notice antifreeze dribbling out by the right footwell. Reverse down the trailer, shut it off, open up the panels, and I can hear hissing coming from the antifreeze reservoir. I can tell it's pressurized, but the sled is cold so I take the cap off. Antifreeze comes shooting out like a volcano. It's not the typical bright green color, it's a dark green. After the sled has all the anger drained out of it's system, I load it in the trailer without much investigation because I had to hit the road. I left it up at the cabin a few hundred miles away. A couple questions on what I need to do before my next ride...

1) I'm assuming the previous owner mixed red and green antifreeze to get the dark green color?

2) What are the next steps to get this sled running safely again?

Thank you in advance!

·
Slednuck
1,982 Posts
Mine always pressurizes to the point it holds the coolant below the low level line and then surges out of the bottle if you pull the cap. It seems to be a pretty normal etec thing. Coolant can be mixed as long as the green coolant added was compatible with the red. If you're worried about it drain all you can by pumping it out with the tunnel elevated then fill with water to flush before changing back to red.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
What year ? Depending on year youll know if its supposed to be green coolant or dexcool. If its hissing your cap is either not sealing or bottle neck is warped. It should keep the rates presure on the cap, if goes above specified pressure it should burp tru overflow

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What year ? Depending on year youll know if its supposed to be green coolant or dexcool. If its hissing your cap is either not sealing or bottle neck is warped. It should keep the rates presure on the cap, if goes above specified pressure it should burp tru overflow
It's a 2011. I can't remember if it was hissing before I started turning the cap or after... I think the cap seals fine. Like I said, no leaks the whole weekend until this. That's what's throwing me off - would a sudden spike in temperature from the lake run cause something like this?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
bad hose clamps, do a search and you'll know. replace them. elevate nose of sled, start it, fill to top of bottle, check exchangers to make sure all the air is out, keep on filling bottle till you've got good flow with thermostat open, top off bottle, ignore bottle marks. you'll find the level will adjust itself perfectly. the clamps is common and usually only leak when parked overnight in the cold. fix and enjoy. good luck !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts