Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am thinking about getting an 04 800 Renegade due to its superior handling and ergonomics vs. my RX1 mountain. The sled has a new crank in it because the owner blew a belt which took out the seal then the crank. The old pistons were good but he put new ones in anyway. The question is are these engines generally garbage, or do new pistons and an 06 crank fix the problems they have. What is different about the 06 crank... was there an upgrade of the bearings and seals ?
Everybody...and I mean every that I have ridden with has melted their 800 down within two seasons. I am weighing reliablilty against fun factor. I am 160 lbs and the RX1 is just too much work to throw around.
Thanks guys

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have an 02 with the 800 motor with 6500 miles...no issues with the motor, never broke a belt, and never foweled a plug. It does back fire once in a while, and had to have the starter recoil replace (under warrenty).

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
There is nothing wrong with that 04 800 and yes they are reliable motors....i would rather have the 800 carb motor over any other brp motor....some 04 & 05 800's up here are getting mileage just a little off the 600sdi...and they are awesome to play with....

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I have the Blair Morgan edition with the 03 800 in it and now have over 4000 miles and no issues with the motor. I added the PTO seal retainer ring last year for prevention in the future. I might be switching to V force reeds after this year due to all the talk about bad carb boots also. In 4 seasons ive maybe fouled 3 plugs total. Ive only exploded one belt and it didnt go near the primary at all, hit the side door in front and dent metal footwell deal where toes go.
It has always just been run on 87 octance gas and cheap Ski Doo oil. I always get better mileage than my riding buddies with their 01 MXZ 600 X, 99 ZL 440 liquid, 04 800ho REV etc. Only my sdi gets better mileage that I ride with.
I love the sled.

·
Registered
686 Posts
My brother has 2200 miles on his 03 800, two weeks ago he granaded on the river. Took out the crank, pto side piston, and cylinder. The motor was bone stock except for boyson reeds. A friend of ours burned down his 04 800 two times the very first year he had it, also bone stock motor, dealer had to replace both cylinders and pistons. My 03 600 has 2350 miles and is on it's second set of pistons, third set of rings, and one new cylinder. How's that for reliability!? Rotax deffinatly is not what it used to be.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts