Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I searched, couldn't find anything useful.

It's a 80-81 Blizzard 5500 MX that has no spark. I can't find a manual for it to help troubleshoot anything. It ran fine about a year ago, this guy that lives in one of my apartments gave it to me for free, it's in awesome shape, been garaged it's whole life and has about 750 original miles on it (got it from original owner, hardly ever rode it), I tried starting it and no spark. How do I go about checking the coil? What ohms should it read? I've taken the flywheel off and it had a little surface rust on the points surface and on the flywheel, I cleaned it all up and put it back together and still no spark. How do I set the gap on points? Not sure if thier is a certain procedure on this sled or not. What measurement should they be set at? I bypassed the kill switch and still nothing. Anything else I should check? Thanks a bunch for any help you can offer.

What motor is in this sled? I was told it was a 503 Rotax but I can't find any markings.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
talla said:
Check the plug , Cap & wire.
Mine kills plugs on the clutch side like crazy.
maybe yours too?
[snapback]699991[/snapback]​
I've tried multiple plugs, 3 different caps, wire seems fine, no cracking or anything. I can't get a bit of spark out of either plug wire.

I've done the obvious stuff, just don't know the "technical" stuff about this sled.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
First ,the engine is a 503 type,a good engine.Did you lost spark on both side?First ,disconnect the plastic connector from the engine close to the recoil starter to eleminate everything else except the engine,pull the cord if you got sparks.No sparks,the problem is either coils or points.You can check continuity of your points by turning th engine VERY SLOWLY and see if the needle swings on the meter after disconnecting the wire from the points ON the coil.Check both side,if continuity is good ,then you got a bad coil.Dont forget to check continuity on the short yellow wires on the coil,sometimes they break inside the enveloppe.

·
Registered
257 Posts
hmmm mines an 81... and i am pretty sure its cdi ignition, not points... or at least there is a lil box under the carbs, with wires running into the main harness

1 - 7 of 7 Posts