Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When looking at 78 sno pro 440ss what are the key features to look for that make it a real one and not a clone? Does the engine have certain marking or anything special on tag? Thanks for any info

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone have any tips on what to look for? Might be available for sale and want to make sure I’m paying for the real deal

·
Registered
509 Posts
post this question on vintagesleds.com in the bullsessions forum section, many more race sled collectors over there.

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Smart to do your homework, as having all the correct parts makes a big difference in value, heck even the clones go for a big dollar. Can't help you out as I have never had one and have no intentions of ever getting into those unless an amazing deal falls into my lap.

If you do get it, I have the parts manuals for all the Snopro sleds if you ever need to know a part number or something.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
need serial number on tunnel for starts , l had one sold it last winter , pictures of said sled will help , had a 78 ss also a 79 ss , would have nickel not cast cylinders , lets us know what you really need to know

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
the tunnel vin will start with 3563 for ss , the super mods believe had different serial number and had four plug head , on cases there should be casting numbers on cases , cylinders and head , the head will have casting number when one removes head in the coolant area , with these numbers l can check in my parts book , The crank cases are usually sand cast but believe some werent , good luck on your purchase really love that model

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
Each 78 sno pro had a different model number based on cc's (250, 440, 440). The difference between the SS and Super Mod as far as model numbers was that they shared the same model number, but the super mod had a 01 extension, example using the 3653 from above the super mods vin would start 365301xxx. The super mods also had a different color hood as far as I know, orange/yellow vs black/yellow, also had lighter hoods. My 78 was a 340 SS.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Have been
5,940 Posts
Each 78 sno pro had a different model number based on cc's (250, 440, 440). The difference between the SS and Super Mod as far as model numbers was that they shared the same model number, but the super mod had a 01 extension, example using the 3653 from above the super mods vin would start 365301xxx. The super mods also had a different color hood as far as I know, orange/yellow vs black/yellow, also had lighter hoods. My 78 was a 340 SS.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
the differance between the super stock and super mod Was the super stock single ignition, triple roller drive chain steal cleated track with mild steal bird cage. the super mod had Dual ignition with 4 sparkplugs, single silent drive chain, Titanium cleated track and chrome molly bird cage. The super stock hood was yellow with black, the super mod was yellow with pin stripes! Our 1978 440 Skidoo Super mod Sn was 3563 01017

1 - 9 of 9 Posts