Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the kids out to ride the old sleds yesterday and noticed the 77 TNT 440 would rev up to 4700 RPM before moving. The track is free and the bearings seem to be okay. I am going to assume it is a clutching problem. I took the drive clutch face off early this year and the rollers look real good and flooped back and forth with no problems (it has the original skidoo clutch). The belt is new and fits properly. I looked at the driven clutch and the plastic guides are all there. Any suggestions?

Also, does anyone know how to align the clutch on these machines? I have a spare comet clutch that should fit but need to know how to align the clutched before I put it on.

Thanks for any help in advance.

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
Check if you dont have FLATS on the rollers,if yes you got a higher starting rpm.Also be sure the square in the cover matches the square shaft.Do you have the right width belt?Another thing could be a too stiff spring in the drive if somebody mess inside that.The alignment don affect the start rpm.
Alignment: was 1/2 " offset between drive and driven pulley.Get a straight edge alongside the sliding driven(NO BELT ON ) up to the drive pulley.You should have 1/2 " between your inner drive and the staright edge.Distance between pulleys was 1 7/8.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, I will check it out. I drove it again this afternoon and the sled seems to be running better. It is now kicking in around 3500 rpms. The sled has not been run in a few years so things may be sticking is all I can figure.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts