Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m wondering if anyone has a picture or recalls the factory colour schemes of the 77 Futura 400. I’ve searched online and on bombardier archives and can’t find a good enough picture to give me any answers. This model has the orange hood but someone has taken a black rattle can to the rest of it. I want to restore it to its factory look. If anyone can chime in that would be awesome. Im sure the tunnel should be motoski blue but did they have black vinyl on the seat or blue? Are the skis and belly pan supposed to be blue to match the tunnel and if so I’m assuming the handle bars should also be blue? And finally, Is the fuel tank supposed to be blue? (I hope not because that will be a chore). Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
I always found it strange in that on most other models, Bombardier made an equivalent MotoSki model, difference being cosmetic only. They made the Everest 340 and 440, why a 400 in the Futura? Did they just have some left over engines to use up? Even odd making 2 sleds so close in CCs, why even bother?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turbopete, I agree. I know an older fella who grew up working on all these old sleds and he told me that after ski doo bought motoski, the motoski brand became bombardier’s guinea pig brand. I guess Just slight differences they wanted to try before committing the changes to skidoo? Not sure if there is any truth to this.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I wonder if there were some contractual commitments for Bombardier to continue producing Moto-Skis for a certain amount of time after they purchased the company? I checked the history of Moto-Ski on Wikipedia and it doesn't say much about why Bombardier continued the separate line as long as they did. Given Moto-Skis popularity just prior to the purchase by Bombardier, the original owners could have demanded some kind of legacy deal.

Doug M

I always found it strange in that on most other models, Bombardier made an equivalent MotoSki model, difference being cosmetic only. They made the Everest 340 and 440, why a 400 in the Futura? Did they just have some left over engines to use up? Even odd making 2 sleds so close in CCs, why even bother?

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
The Futura 400 engine (type 402) was designed exclusively for Moto-ski to make them more different than just decals and color scheme.

Same goes for the original "wave pattern" track that Moto-ski started using in 1975-1976. This track was called the "peanut track" as the print in the snow resembles peanuts and was supposed to also make Moto-ski somewhat different .

However, around 1979 Ski-doo models started using this track.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Moto-ski was bought out by Bombardier in 1971 and was originally to operate as an "independent Company" but this only lasted for 1972 models.

In 1973 Moto-ski was forced to use Rotax engines in some models.

This is the letter sent out to Dealers in 1971. What really made Dad mad (who was a Moto-ski Dealer) was that they could not even address the letter directly to him but rather "Moto-ski Dealer"

Moto-ski.jpg

Attachments

Reactions: Elan Dude

·
Registered
4,777 Posts
Can anyone confirm 100% if the seat cover was blue or black?
100%? , no not a Futura expert, but if I had to pick I would definitely say blue, as any later Motoski I have seen has been blue. Is your gas tank blue, handlebars etc.? Pretty good indicator. I know all the Sonics, Super Sonics were in those years, can't imagine the Futura being any different.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Can anyone confirm 100% if the seat cover was blue or black?
I can now confirm that the 1977 Futura 400 had a Midnight blue bar pad,grips,brake lever, throttle lever,tank & seat.

The tanks tend to turn black with age, however, if you take a flashlight and look inside the blue color is more noticable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone for the info! Let the resto begin! Got the 440 in it now running nice, other then I believe my voltage regulator ground is no good. The primary and secondary pulled apart, need a new bushing for the secondary. Seat gets recovered tomorrow, need to find a chunk of blue strap to over top. Getting some spray cans mixed on Wednesday for the tunnel (maybe they can mix some sort of paint thats good for plastic for the tank). Not sure if I’ll have the funds re-decal the hood right away, but I’m off to a good start. Currently in the process of Swapping over a tach/speedo from an Everest as the futura 400 never came with. Guess now is a good time to do driveshaft bearings and replace the springs on the suspension.....

·
Registered
3,191 Posts

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
need to find a chunk of blue strap to over top. Wednesday
Can confirm that the 1977 Futura 400 had a black seat belt same as Everest.

All Futura's 1977-78-79 used black seat belts.

Reactions: turbopete
1 - 16 of 16 Posts