Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey Guys I just got some pipes for my 76 340 fa the pipes are both on the mag side and I need the stingers and can.They are smaller than the 340 liquid ones.Thanks Toostroke

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1976 are single pipe,not twin.

With twin pipes your pan and hood will not fit.
Holy Cow ! thats not funny.I have a stock single and picked up a nice set of pipes thinking it would be a nice touch.So all I would have to do is get the 77 hood and pan?

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Huuuuummm, I could be wrong but if your using a 76 RV free air chassis, it is designed for a shorter 76 pan and the 76 shorter designed RV hood in order to meet on the edges all around. The hood itself on the RV's are designed to sit on the top of the steering support bar where the gas tank is wedged under.

If you go to a 77 RV pan which is 2 inches higher (due to the twin pipes) and the 77 RV taller hood(due to the same pipes) on a 76 RV chassis, it (the hood) will not sit on the steering support and it will be now higher than the support itself due to the increased height of both pieces.

In theory, 76 pan with 76 hood + 76 rv chassis
77 +78 pan with 77 +78 hood + 77/78 rv chassis.
These years I believe are not interchangeable because when it's mismatched, the steering support is the main issue. But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it looks like I will keep the single pipe and not mess it up.It is coming along good I had to switch to a nippondenso ignition.The stocker would not pull the rpm past 6000.It sings now and I am on the chassis This is a fun little sled!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts