Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking about getting a vintage sled to tinker on and maybe race a few times and found the sleds in the title. I am a bigger guy so the moto with more hp might be better to carry dead weight around but it looks like there are more class options to run a stock 340. Both would need work but that is half the fun and about the same $$$.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm partial to the rv chassis style , but either one would work, there is a good thread on here about a guy racing an ultrasonic, check that one out

·
Registered
531 Posts
thanks, i will take a look, but i thought they were the same chasis?
1979 Supersonic is the RV chassis and a cool sled. I tend to think the liquids are more reliable runners but then I might just be frustrated from working on a free-air.

·
Have been
5,940 Posts
Was thinking about getting a vintage sled to tinker on and maybe race a few times and found the sleds in the title. I am a bigger guy so the moto with more hp might be better to carry dead weight around but it looks like there are more class options to run a stock 340. Both would need work but that is half the fun and about the same $$$.
If the sled is a supersonic it will be a 340 and is on the RV Chassis , The 440 Was an ultra Sonic and it is on the better Chassis with a jack shaft!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The moto has an rv hood so maybe someone swapped In a 440 or is is. 340. So I have been doing so more reading on the rv's and I am curious why this chassis was raced for so long if there were reliability issues with the drive train when the HP started to increase. I love the looks of the Rv over the later blizzard.

·
Have been
5,940 Posts
The moto has an rv hood so maybe someone swapped In a 440 or is is. 340. So I have been doing so more reading on the rv's and I am curious why this chassis was raced for so long if there were reliability issues with the drive train when the HP started to increase. I love the looks of the Rv over the later blizzard.
The RV chassis was only raced for two years 1975 and 1976 then they were replaced with a chassis that had a jack shaft! The reason the RV chassis originally had no jack shaft was because it was intended to be only a 245 cc race sled there for weight was a important factor! lots of racers tried to use the 245 chassis with the 440 blizzard engine with less than good results! The 245 was pretty but it was far from a good race chassis. We owned 5 of these sleds 3 245's and 2 340 and they were 5 of the worst race sled we owned in 20 years of racing!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the history lesson, I guess I might need to rethink the RV. It is hard to tinker on something to make it faster and better handling if all you are doing is fixing things that brake.

·
Registered
559 Posts
If your looking to race for fun and still compete the 78-79 6500 and 7500 are a lot of fun,even with the factory clutch set up.My older brother raced his 7500 in 79 and did very well.I have a few RVs and like riding the 79 the best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts