Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 04 REV 500SS. My other sled is a 02 MXZX 700 that I just rebuilt with the RKT 734 kit. I want to put the 734 into the REV chassis and put the 600 in the ZX chassis.
Anyone know of any hang ups with this swap???

Thanks.

·
Registered
623 Posts
the pipe and can are the only problems i see for the 700 in the rev. i think everything like the mpem will mount the same. maybe air box too?

·
Registered
0 Posts
I see some hangups with that...your going to replace doo's most dependable engine that gets great mileage with a gas guzzling engine that can blow any minute
You better have a couple of extra pistons on hand and never ride alone and don't forget the tow rope

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jds800Rev said:
I see some hangups with that...your going to replace doo's most dependable engine that gets great mileage with a gas guzzling engine that can blow any minute
You better have a couple of extra pistons on hand and never ride alone and don't forget the tow rope

[snapback]267905[/snapback]​
Well everyone has a right to their own opinion. My 700 has been absolutely perfect. I put the 734 kit in it to bump up the power. Everything was done perfectly and with the right jetting it will get acceptable mileage and run good for a long time. I'm going to put gas in both of them anyway so mileage is going to cost me the same. I know guys that have over 5000 miles on their 734s and no problems.
Also, I love my ZX X chassis and it will run awesome with the 500SS 597cc in it.

·
Good at wrecking stuff.
5,634 Posts
jds800Rev said:

Gas guzzling engine that can blow any minute? Do you consider 120-140 miles to a tank of fuel a gas guzzler? As far as reliability, I've been kicking the "edit for bad language" out of my '02 700 for 4000 miles now with not so much as a hiccup. I think I've fouled two plugs, if you consider that a reliability issue. Doo should have never stopped production of that engine.

AS for the original question, the 500SS is the "old" small block 600 which is probably somewhat different as far as how the engine mounts to the motor mount plate, but I don't think you'd have TOO many problems. Any parts that come into question, you should be able to get from a REV 600HO. (the 600HO motors are the same block as the 700 and 800) Also, any "swap" parts for putting th eSS engine in the ZX, you should be able to use standard ZX 600 parts. (except 2003 600HO)

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bengelp said:
jds800Rev said:

Gas guzzling engine that can blow any minute? Do you consider 120-140 miles to a tank of fuel a gas guzzler? As far as reliability, I've been kicking the "edit for bad language" out of my '02 700 for 4000 miles now with not so much as a hiccup. I think I've fouled two plugs, if you consider that a reliability issue. Doo should have never stopped production of that engine.

AS for the original question, the 500SS is the "old" small block 600 which is probably somewhat different as far as how the engine mounts to the motor mount plate, but I don't think you'd have TOO many problems. Any parts that come into question, you should be able to get from a REV 600HO. (the 600HO motors are the same block as the 700 and 800) Also, any "swap" parts for putting th eSS engine in the ZX, you should be able to use standard ZX 600 parts. (except 2003 600HO)
[snapback]267951[/snapback]​
Thanks bengelp,
I think I'm going to wait till season is over then make it a summer project. With my luck and MI winters, I'll get the motors out and run into a couple hurdles then it will snow like crazy. So I think I will wait. That little 500SS runs pretty good anyway.

·
734 Power
2,600 Posts
put about 250 miles on my 734 so far, love it...still a little rich but boy does that thing have arm tearing torque! As for your swap, should be a pretty easy deal, would recommend finding a stock 600ho pipe, works nicely with the 734

·
Registered
351 Posts
kirk700 said:
I just picked up a 04 REV 500SS. My other sled is a 02 MXZX 700 that I just rebuilt with the RKT 734 kit. I want to put the 734 into the REV chassis and put the 600 in the ZX chassis.
Anyone know of any hang ups with this swap???

Thanks.
[snapback]267865[/snapback]​
What is the stroke on each of those engines, are they the same?

·
734 Power
2,600 Posts
600ho and 700 is same stroke, not sure on small block 600

·
Registered
351 Posts
REV_X said:
[snapback]268016[/snapback]​
I was thinking if they are the same just swap the top end from one to the other, that is if the stroke is the same, then the carbs will need the jetting replaced with the proper ones.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
FlipMode said:
REV_X said:
I was thinking if they are the same just swap the top end from one to the other, that is if the stroke is the same, then the carbs will need the jetting replaced with the proper ones.
[snapback]268056[/snapback]​

The stroke on the small/old 600 is 68.5 mm vs the 73 mm stroke of the 600HO and the 700 engine... so you can't swap top ends... Sorry...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had a 02 700 before the 600ho sdi and if skidoo put it in a rev chassis I'd be first inline to buy it. That motor worked well for me I got decent millage and it pulled harder on top than my sdi.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
I'm with you 980G... I wish Doo still made the 700 and put it in the rev... think it was one of the best engines that doo every made.. lots of power.. and no problems.. fuel economy was good.. and very little vibration. Have a couple 800's and a couple 700's, and I prefer the 700's. For some reason they "feel" lighter and more maneuverable then the 8's. And stock to stock.. they make a little more power then the 600HO..

·
Registered
803 Posts
Wish no longer Doo is bring the 700 back a tec motor for 06 so get in line now don't believe me.........wait for them to "release" the news in 3 weeks the leak is out and here it is 700 powertec rev for 06

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
maddog9m said:
Wish no longer Doo is bring the 700 back a tec motor for 06 so get in line now don't believe me.........wait for them to "release" the news in 3 weeks the leak is out and here it is 700 powertec rev for 06
[snapback]268152[/snapback]​
Well I for one hope you are right... and that you do have inside info. That would be my doo engine of choice for riding back here in the midwest flatlands.. At 500 to 1500 feet elevation, the 700 has plenty of power for my kind of riding around Michigan. Might be a slightly different choice of 10,000 feet and bottomless powder pulling a 151" or longer track.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
FlipMode said:
REV_X said:
[snapback]268056[/snapback]​
I thought about just swaping the cylinders buy the 500SS is the "Small Block" cases. the 700 cylinders are from the "Big Block" cases. I'm pretty sure you can't swap them.

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
jds800Rev said:

You dont have a clue do you joe? There isnt a better series 3 engine than the 700, You could only dream that 800HO of yours got the mileage and rock soild reliability of the 700. Boring it 2 mm and adding 2 ring pistons only makes it better

Kirk the 600 small block is common to the 440 engine, top ends do not swap. As for putting the 734 into the REV you must keep in mind that ZX sleds use a 12v AC electrical system and REVs use 12v DC current, ignitions do not interchange, Im pretty sure but I think you need all of the rev electrical components swapped to the 734. Big John knows more about whats required electrically. Like REV X said, use the 600HO pipe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts