Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my clutch side cylinder go down this last weekend. Took it apart and the top of the piston is peppered but no signs of the cause. Rod bearing good. Crank seams smooth. There is about 8000 miles on the crank since last rebuild. What would you guys do? Put it back together and go? There is done flaking off the cylinder so it needs a new jug. Would a chunk of nikasil pepper the piston like that?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Won't be till later tonight for pics.

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
On the fence a bit on which way I would do. What was the "last rebuild"?

Carb boots and floats ok?

Thinking perhaps based on previous work on the same crank+bearings, I would yank the engine = refresh crank+rod bearings, seals and toss on a fresh top end.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Last rebuild at 15,000 miles. Now at 24,700. The last two times rod bearings went out. Every 7500 miles almost on the head. Switch oils and rod bearings are like new this time. Turns smooth also.

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
Well given that then I would freshen up the top end and run it. Premix for the first tank of fuel

·
2nd Whore in command
102,104 Posts
Possibly the wrist pin or part of it broke off and scratched the cylinder and damaged the piston? What type of pistons were in it?

·
Sled nut
2,912 Posts
Honestly seems like you ride a lot if I was in ur shoes wacking on that kind of mileage I'd drop a new crank in it

Sent from my HTC One S

Reactions: gpt

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just trying to get opinions on putting it back together. Don't really want to throw a new crank in for that kind of cash. Would rather just sell as it is and upgrade. But if people thought the crack was OK if do a culture and piston. Planning on selling next fall anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts