Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to the forum. I recently purchased a 1996 forrmula z 583. The guy had no clue what he had. He said it was a 583 with twin pipes and thats all he knew. Anyway I could tell right away it was a 670 (non ho).the question i have is I dont know what pipe I have or how to tune for it. (Jet size, clutch) ect. It seems go run good but its summer and obviously cant run it for long or drive it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Oh yea I paid $350 for it.

·
2nd Whore in command
102,262 Posts
I would first pull the carbs and figure out what jetting is in there now and see if its stock or if he has jetted already. Maybe post a pic of the pipes and someone might be able to tell you what they are?

It will be hard to tune it with out doing some full throttle pulls, as you stated its not the best time of year for that. I would just try and figure out what jetting is in it now to start. Also use the search function in the top right corner and see what you come up with for twin pipes on the 670 motor, I know there is some old threads about this and the jetting others have used. There might be pics as well, which might help determine what pipes you have.

For $350 it sounds like a good deal!

Welcome to Dootalk!!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also I was wondering if I should gut the airbox?? I had a 95 583 (cough cough 670) with a gutted airbox and stock exhaust and it ran awesome with no problems. I hear people say not to and people say to do it. Any suggestions? I assume I would have to jet it even richer. I am only a few hundred feet above sea level. 600-700 feet.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Those are stock pipes from a 1995 or 96 Mach 1 670. I bet you have a whole Mach 1 transplant in there (looks like a " l " stamped in the head just above the T of ROTAX) that would make it a 670 from a Mach 1. Check to see if the carbs are 44mm to confirm.

You stole it for $350! :righton

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Soooooo i took the carbs off to check the jets and the clutch side is 430 and pullstart side is a 410 both have a 35 idle jet. And the best part is THEY ARE 44 MM. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. no one can get the smile of my face!! And yes there is a I marked on the head. SCORE!!!!!

Does the jets sound close I dont remember what side is the hot side.

Best $350 I have EVER spent. Dont ask it is NOT for sale. Lol

·
2nd Whore in command
102,262 Posts
Good for you! For $350 your doing good. That thing will make a good sleeper sled. Come on guys its just a 583, lets line up! Lol!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lol yup. That's what I used to do with my old 95 formula z 583 with a ss 670 motor. I would race my buddy's. One had a 2000 ski doo 700 and the other had a rev 800 with a can and I beat em every time. Then they caught word it had a 670 lol I bet this one is even faster. Maybe ill put a 500 sticker on it hahahaha.

So does the I stamped on the head mean its a h.o. ? I know the x is a h.o.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha yep. I thought about putting a 670 in my dads 380 :) now thats a sleeper. I dont n
Know if I could just put a heat exchanger in and run the 670 or not in that little 380. It would be fun tho. Oh yea I almost forgot. I also just bought a 94 ss 670 last week for $100. Its a little rough and needs rebuilt but for $100 I cant go wrong. I was in the middle of finding all the parts I needed to rebuild her but found this gem for less than a rebuild. I might still rebuild her tho

1 - 20 of 102 Posts