Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I think the 600R would be more fun in most situations because it was designed for maximum "dynamic response" (it's light, narrow, has the E-RAVE exhaust valves, short intake, 2nd gen fuel injectors, faster ECU, etc.) Most of the 600R complaints on here are something like "it's too jerky". Well, that's about as good as you can get for a "seat of the pants" feel!

I haven't tried one yet but I have a 2022 on order because I was able to ride a cat ZR6000 R-XC once and it was a blast. It ran crisp, would get up to 80mph very quickly, and it just put a lot of smiles on my face. The 600R is supposed to be an even nicer engine so I think there's no way it will disappoint if you have realistic expectations (like it's not going to lift the skis at 100 mph nor beat a Sidewinder on the lake).

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hoping for the exact same thing. If they come out with a 600 Lynx Rave I would order without hesitation.
It's been out since the 600R was introduced over here.

In my opinion they've made some strange decisions and marketing announcements regarding the Lynx North America release. They are marketing the DS as a "Big bump powder sled", which it is not with the DS skid, and why, since they got over the hurdle and introduced he brand with the extra spare parts logistics needed, didn't they bring more models??

If you want a "Big bump long track sled" it's the long track RE-models you want, the DS isn't much, or even at all, sturdier than a Summit. And marketing a 600R short track RE wouldn't take much since the work is already done with the 850 and all drive line spare parts are already available since they are the same as Doo's.

We actually had two 600R models to choose between, the "standard" RE with 3500 track, (136"?), and the shorter Enduro 3300, (129").

https://www.brplynx.com/gb/en/models/sport/rave.html

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
No 600 would touch my 14 8e, but it’s not always about speed, nothing wrong with the 6r except the isoflex tech

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I have some decent seat time on a friends 2019 600r. I do not know if the specs of the 600r motor have changed since then, but I can butt compare to both 800r and 800 etec, as I have had both until recently selling my 09 800r. Still have 2016 800etec. And an 850, Poo 800. We swap rides often, going from 600r to 800 or 850. The 600r is electric smooth and very able in just about every condition. I can push into corners with the 600r a bit deeper than the 800s. Good clutch from factory. I doubt there is a better 600 out there. But exiting, and pushing the flipper out of a turn, the 800's just have more oomph. 0-40 is about the same on 600r and 800's, but after that the air and fuel being gulped by the larger motor makes more power. Butt wise, I feel the 800r has felt stronger than the 800 etec because of the carb hit/circuitry. The 800 etec makes as much power, just more linear/boring. The 600 and 800 etecs are almost too smooth. Now for the 850, love this motor once it starts gulping! I has a hit around 6,250 rpms!

·
Registered
930 Posts
It's been out since the 600R was introduced over here.

In my opinion they've made some strange decisions and marketing announcements regarding the Lynx North America release. They are marketing the DS as a "Big bump powder sled", which it is not with the DS skid, and why, since they got over the hurdle and introduced he brand with the extra spare parts logistics needed, didn't they bring more models??

If you want a "Big bump long track sled" it's the long track RE-models you want, the DS isn't much, or even at all, sturdier than a Summit. And marketing a 600R short track RE wouldn't take much since the work is already done with the 850 and all drive line spare parts are already available since they are the same as Doo's.

We actually had two 600R models to choose between, the "standard" RE with 3500 track, (136"?), and the shorter Enduro 3300, (129").

https://www.brplynx.com/gb/en/models/sport/rave.html
I think it all comes down to their strategy to upsell and drive everyone to the 850 simply because there is more margin built in with that motor. Over here, the upcharge on an MXZ XRS to go from a 600R to an 850 is around $1,350. I bet the the actual manufacturing cost difference between the motors is less than $200. That's why you can't get the premium gauge or smart shocks on a 600R (if you're willing to spend $1k on a gauge or $1.8k on shocks, they figure you'll probably accept that you have to cough up another $1.3k for the 850 if you don't want it already) and and it's why I don't think we will ever see a 600R Lynx over here.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I think it all comes down to their strategy to upsell and drive everyone to the 850 simply because there is more margin built in with that motor. Over here, the upcharge on an MXZ XRS to go from a 600R to an 850 is around $1,350. I bet the the actual manufacturing cost difference between the motors is less than $200. That's why you can't get the premium gauge or smart shocks on a 600R (if you're willing to spend $1k on a gauge or $1.8k on shocks, they figure you'll probably accept that you have to cough up another $1.3k for the 850 if you don't want it already) and and it's why I don't think we will ever see a 600R Lynx over here.
The darn smart shox were more like a 4K upgrade. You had to pay an extra couple grand (over a TNT) to get the XRS shocks which didn't come on the sled plus another 2K for the SS option. I sure hope they're offered on more models next year. On the 600R Lynx, never say never...

·
Registered
930 Posts
The darn smart shox were more like a 4K upgrade. You had to pay an extra couple grand (over a TNT) to get the XRS shocks which didn't come on the sled plus another 2K for the SS option. I sure hope they're offered on more models next year. On the 600R Lynx, never say never...
Hope you're right.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
I have some decent seat time on a friends 2019 600r. I do not know if the specs of the 600r motor have changed since then...
The primary got lighter weights in 2020 and if your buddie's 2019 clickers aren't set correctly he is missing out on some performance.

·
Certifiable Sledhead and Cybertruck Reservation Ho
4,212 Posts
I have 2 Backcountys. A 2021 BC 600R E-TEC and a 2015 BC 800R E-TEC. The 800 is freshly rebuilt and broke in. Power wise the 800R will outrun the 600R on top by a bit (not much tho'), and the 6 will jump the 800 off the line (likely because of the P-drive vs TRA) by a fair margin, taking a while for the 8 to very slowly catch it. Seat of the pants dyno goes to the 600 here.

The 600R is a gem. Great on fuel and oil with gobs of mid-range grunt and as reliable as daylight. Love it.

·
4,212 Posts
nothing wrong with the 6r except the isoflex tech
For me that's a plus not a minus. Both end bearings are serviceable with even the MAG seal now being replaceable by simply pulling the stator (the stator functions as a retainer). Both the inner crank bearings are open (not sealed and greased like the 800R E-TEC was). With good oil and a little maintenance that bottom end should last nearly forever.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's summer / slow - figured I wouldn't get a ton of responses so I've been wearing out the search function. I found all sorts of comments like the ones listed below - yep I'm sold on the 600R. Plus I just like to try out different stuff, I haven't owned a 600 (2s anyways) in 20 years. Just like the 850 is in a different league compared to past 800s it sounds like it's the same story with these 600s. I just hope I can order one with Smart Shox. I would love to try one out first though on more than just a short demo. Anybody with a 129" 600R want to join me for a day trip to central WI next winter? I'll buy lunch (early dinner) if we can swap sleds a few times. I know it would be fine in the tight stuff but I want to make sure I'd still be satisfied in the more open areas.

" I've got the 1st release 600R. Pulls like an 800. Awesome powerband NIght and day difference from 2017 600. "

2016blizzard

" I have plenty of power up to 70-75mph "

Einstein

" Once you throw a leg over one your like wow is this a 600 . "

LeeL

" Way more mid range than the old 600e "

613doo

" i like my new 2019 600r its fast pulls like a 800 etec at lower speeds "

bruce51
Yes, I am happy with the 600r, I wouldn't go back to my previous 600.... Last winter, I went on a 2 days trip with 3 friends, Arctic Cat Turbo, then two 850cc Polaris....Never had an issue... Was joking to my friends saying that little 600r is like a mosquito, always there and can't get ride of it.... Always in the mirror not far.

One of my other friends has a renegade xrs 900ace turbo, and we were laughing as he couldn't get ride of the mosquito as well.

I would say it really depends where you drive. If you have lots of very wide-open trails and enjoy opening it up as often as you can, the 600r may not be for you. Since me it is only once in a while, I really enjoy the agility of my sled, and how the power transfer (from the thumb) to the snow. I find it is a very well balance machine. But this is my own opinion.

For next winter, Renegade X 600r, just a bit longer, will see how in handles in tight trails and if I will like it as much. I really don't need more power…. And it is pretty good on fuel, just a bit better than my friend's 900ace, believe or not….

·
Registered
5,221 Posts
For me that's a plus not a minus. Both end bearings are serviceable with even the MAG seal now being replaceable by simply pulling the stator (the stator functions as a retainer). Both the inner crank bearings are open (not sealed and greased like the 800R E-TEC was). With good oil and a little maintenance that bottom end should last nearly forever.
just keep em cool

·
Registered
2018 MXZX 850 / 2011 MXZX 800 etec
1,527 Posts
Yes, I am happy with the 600r, I wouldn't go back to my previous 600.... Last winter, I went on a 2 days trip with 3 friends, Arctic Cat Turbo, then two 850cc Polaris....Never had an issue... Was joking to my friends saying that little 600r is like a mosquito, always there and can't get ride of it.... Always in the mirror not far.

One of my other friends has a renegade xrs 900ace turbo, and we were laughing as he couldn't get ride of the mosquito as well.

I would say it really depends where you drive. If you have lots of very wide-open trails and enjoy opening it up as often as you can, the 600r may not be for you. Since me it is only once in a while, I really enjoy the agility of my sled, and how the power transfer (from the thumb) to the snow. I find it is a very well balance machine. But this is my own opinion.

For next winter, Renegade X 600r, just a bit longer, will see how in handles in tight trails and if I will like it as much. I really don't need more power…. And it is pretty good on fuel, just a bit better than my friend's 900ace, believe or not….
The remark about being better on fuel on than the 900ace is that at a cruising speed or a faster paced ride when you you made your observation?

·
4,212 Posts
just keep em cool
Not really an issue for me. We generally have tons of snow and the scratchers work well enough for spring riding.

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
The remark about being better on fuel on than the 900ace is that at a cruising speed or a faster paced ride when you you made your observation?
BRP says the 600e/600r can get up to 21mpg. And the 900 can get slightly higher at up to 21.8 but in ECO mode.

·
Registered
95 Posts
When we regularly cruise, I would take 2-3 liter less than the 900ace,,,, when we start riding harder, the difference increase a bit, but the fun on the 600r is way more increasing as well...

This is not just a one time check. My friend got his machine 2 season ago, and we probably did over 4000-5000km together since he has his 900ace....

so if I put 22-23 liters of premium fuel (5.8-6 us/g), he will put around 25 liters of regular (6.6 us/g)

PS... 900ace never in ECO mode,,, He stays in normal,,, and then when we start driving hard, he has no choice to move it to sport

Reactions: 2019gen4165

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
I rode a 600R a while last season..it didn't lack anything in the handling Dept except fun factor and pull...go 850

·
Registered
2018 MXZX 850 / 2011 MXZX 800 etec
1,527 Posts
When we regularly cruise, I would take 2-3 liter less than the 900ace,,,, when we start riding harder, the difference increase a bit, but the fun on the 600r is way more increasing as well...
This is not just a one time check. My friend got his machine 2 season ago, and we probably did over 4000-5000km together since he has his 900ace....

so if I put 22-23 liters of premium fuel (5.8-6 us/g), he will put around 25 liters of regular (6.6 us/g)

PS... 900ace never in ECO mode,,, He stays in normal,,, and then when we start driving hard, he has no choice to move it to sport
This is a win/win! We are upgrading to a 600R from a 900ace this season. The G4 having a smaller tank I expected the range before refueling would be less than the XS sled.

ECO mode is useless. Sport was used occasionally but for the most part performance mode was used.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
21 - 40 of 67 Posts