Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know there's just no comparing the new 850 to any sled with an engine size that starts with the number six. But how does the new 600R compare to the older 800s when it comes to seat of the pants feel or butt dyno? I'm talking sleds like the Rev 800 HO, or an XP with the P-Tek 800R or E-Tec 800. By chance does anybody still have an older 800 and a 600R for same day comparisons? I'm looking to reign in the speed a little bit but still have some meaty mid-range torque to enjoy. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I would say the old 800 still beats it for power, but handling the new design will be out front, with confidence.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
I thought the 600 would be a nice sled to end the year with but ended up putting 2900 miles on it in 6 weeks , I ended up really liking it so I got another this year

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maybe Doo will activate the consumer 600R’s boost injectors to compete with Poo’s new 650. The stock race sled puts out 140+ ponies so Doo could stay ahead of Poo with 50 less CC. Or maybe they could punch it out to 670 at the same time to pull on the nostalgia strings and so it wouldn’t have to be as high strung as the race motor. Odds are against either option but Doo knows the new Polaris 650 has them out gunned, the only question is if they’ll be motivated to do something about it.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Near as I can tell, the 600R and the Rev 800 have very similar performance, at least on paper when it comes to dry weight & hp numbers. I had a 04 800 HO and if the 600R performs similar I think I could be satisfied with one. Anybody have a 04-07 800 HO and a 600R in the stable?

·
Registered
609 Posts
As the saying goes .... '' There's no replacement for displacement "
In the case of the 800 E-tec there is, it's called midrange power and throttle response! ..of which the E-tec 800 has neither.

The E-tec 800 is one of the dullest 2-stroke "performance engines" ever made.... I had two of them, they were supposed to have 20-some horsepower more than the Polaris CFI 800 but riding them I could have sworn it was the other way around.

I will be downsizing from an E-tec 850 to a 600R this winter. I'm certain there will have to be some riding style changes but I'm willing to give it a go. Given the choice between 600R and 800 E-tec I'd choose the 600R every time.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In the case of the 800 E-tec there is, it's called midrange power and throttle response! ..of which the E-tec 800 has neither.

The E-tec 800 is one of the dullest 2-stroke "performance engines" ever made.... I had two of them, they were supposed to have 20-some horsepower more than the Polaris CFI 800 but riding them I could have sworn it was the other way around.

I will be downsizing from an E-tec 850 to a 600R this winter. I'm certain there will have to be some riding style changes but I'm willing to give it a go. Given the choice between 600R and 800 E-tec I'd choose the 600R every time.
I can relate, I had a 2012 800 E-Tec which was the most neutered one of them all. There were a lot of things I loved about that sled but yeah for an 800 it was kind of a dog. I bet the 600R " feels " stronger. As long as the 600R can accelerate hard to 70 and cruise at 70 without beating on it I think I'll be happy with it. I know it won't accelerate hard from 70 like my 850 can but that's probably a good thing safety wise.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's summer / slow - figured I wouldn't get a ton of responses so I've been wearing out the search function. I found all sorts of comments like the ones listed below - yep I'm sold on the 600R. Plus I just like to try out different stuff, I haven't owned a 600 (2s anyways) in 20 years. Just like the 850 is in a different league compared to past 800s it sounds like it's the same story with these 600s. I just hope I can order one with Smart Shox. I would love to try one out first though on more than just a short demo. Anybody with a 129" 600R want to join me for a day trip to central WI next winter? I'll buy lunch (early dinner) if we can swap sleds a few times. I know it would be fine in the tight stuff but I want to make sure I'd still be satisfied in the more open areas.

" I've got the 1st release 600R. Pulls like an 800. Awesome powerband NIght and day difference from 2017 600. "

2016blizzard

" I have plenty of power up to 70-75mph "

Einstein

" Once you throw a leg over one your like wow is this a 600 . "

LeeL

" Way more mid range than the old 600e "

613doo

" i like my new 2019 600r its fast pulls like a 800 etec at lower speeds "

bruce51

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have ridden both and really like the 600R. So much that I ordered a 22 MXZ600XRS. I am still keeping my 21 850XRS but the little 600 runs really good and feels 50 lbs lighter than the 850 on the trail. It pulls hard to 120km/h and then starts to sign off whereas the 850 pulls just as hard to 140km/h.

I know I will be happy with it. It just wont have the long legs that an 850 will up top.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I can't speak to a 600R as I ride 850's. I swapped with a friend for the final 15 miles of a day and got on his 2016 Renegade 800 etc XRS., I have to say I way very disappointed. I just had no punch. Coming off an 850 perhaps that should have been expected.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Ncapster, tossing this into the equation as well. I can't speak for the 600r. Never been on one. I did have two SBA's in 2019. 600 with 1.6 track. 800 with 2.0 track. I would often times swap back and forth many times during a given day. When i'm on the 600 i would think: "this is about as much fun as one can have on a sled". hop on the 800 "why would any one buy a 600" only to switch back to the 600 and have the same fun feeling again.

You may/may not know. I did a gear swap on my 600 Carb TNT. I rode almost exclusively with a liberty 600 back then. swapping back and forth originally my 600 was a pooch compared to his sled "butt dyno". after i dropped two teeth on the top end, the little TNT 6 really woke up. Butt dyno between those two sleds is dead equal. Even lining up where i used to get crushed i would now hang with him. I would also have him on the top end. Gear swap actually gave me about 3mph up top. I was blown away.

Something to consider. I know, it's not technically stock any more, but for a small $$ investment it really woke the sled up. I would think the 600R could probably benefit in the same way if you aren't fully satisfied with the 30-70mph hit that is so fun on the 850's.

In fact, i'm planning on re-gearing my 850 when i get my hands on it this fall.

If they release a Lynx 600r with an uncoupled skid i'd think that would be about as much fun as anything. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

Couldnt agree more, i thought the 800 etec was a turd..i thought the 800 ptec was more powerful..i love the 600R for corner to corner riding from 40 to 70mph..

·
Registered
599 Posts
Ncapster, tossing this into the equation as well. I can't speak for the 600r. Never been on one. I did have two SBA's in 2019. 600 with 1.6 track. 800 with 2.0 track. I would often times swap back and forth many times during a given day. When i'm on the 600 i would think: "this is about as much fun as one can have on a sled". hop on the 800 "why would any one buy a 600" only to switch back to the 600 and have the same fun feeling again.

You may/may not know. I did a gear swap on my 600 Carb TNT. I rode almost exclusively with a liberty 600 back then. swapping back and forth originally my 600 was a pooch compared to his sled "butt dyno". after i dropped two teeth on the top end, the little TNT 6 really woke up. Butt dyno between those two sleds is dead equal. Even lining up where i used to get crushed i would now hang with him. I would also have him on the top end. Gear swap actually gave me about 3mph up top. I was blown away.

Something to consider. I know, it's not technically stock any more, but for a small $$ investment it really woke the sled up. I would think the 600R could probably benefit in the same way if you aren't fully satisfied with the 30-70mph hit that is so fun on the 850's.

If they release a Lynx 600r with an uncoupled skid i'd think that would be about as much fun as anything. Fingers crossed.
Great point. Change the gearing and you have a whole new animal!

·
Registered
930 Posts

Hoping for the exact same thing. If they come out with a 600 Lynx Rave I would order without hesitation.

·
Registered
9,897 Posts

I remember when you geared down your carb. On the 850s, last winter I got to hop back-n-forth between my 18 MXZ-X and the neighbor's 20 BC XRS. I liked the gearing better on my MXZ. In the open I would walk away from him. Not racing or clamping throttles, just normal riding. I did like how light the BC steered but the same thing that makes it steer light also gives it a ton of inside ski lift. I'm really glad I got some seat time before I bought one. I'm sticking with 129s. For hard packed snow the shorter the better. And while it's no 137 it doesn't drag it's hind quarters in the deep nearly as bad as a 120 for the few times I storm chase / ride filled in ditches. Pilot 6.9s also help quite a bit in that scenario.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I remember when you geared down your carb. On the 850s, last winter I got to hop back-n-forth between my 18 MXZ-X and the neighbor's 20 BC XRS. I liked the gearing better on my MXZ. In the open I would walk away from him. Not racing or clamping throttles, just normal riding. I did like how light the BC steered but the same thing that makes it steer light also gives it a ton of inside ski lift. I'm really glad I got some seat time before I bought one. I'm sticking with 129s. For hard packed snow the shorter the better. And while it's no 137 it doesn't drag it's hind quarters in the deep nearly as bad as a 120 for the few times I storm chase / ride filled in ditches. Pilot 6.9s also help quite a bit in that scenario.
good info, i'll keep stock gearing this season.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts