Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just ended up with this problem this weekend. Lined up to race in Pittsburg NH. Full throttle and not letting off, the sled gets to 105 mph @ 8000 rpm's. If I let off and then to the bar again, the sled only goes 80 [email protected] 7500 rpm's and you end up toward the bars because it slows down so fast. If you feather the throttle it will slowly come out of it and get faster.
On the trails, from corner to corner, it will only rev at 7500 rpm's. It is not clutching. It feels fuel related or electrical. I took it to the dealer last night and they ran a self test on the computer and it past all the tests, no bad sensors. The dealer is calling BRP today and asking them if they've heard of this.
I looked in the owners manual and on one page it tells you to run 87 octane, but in the back of the manual it says to run a minimum of 91 octane. I thought maybe the knock sensor is retarding the timing and saving the motor from detonating
Any ideas??

·
Registered
742 Posts
last week mine started to have a bog around 6000 rpm and low idle. then it would only run on 2 cylinders above 6000 rpm. then it would only run on 1. compression ok. computer said every thing ok. removed throttle bodys to check the reeds. on the mag side every screw that holds the reeds on was loose and one pedal had fallen off. replace on reed. tighten screws on both cages. fine now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
FlipMode said:
Could be clutches? May not be engine related.
Thats what it sounds like to me.
[snapback]272331[/snapback]​
I have had some instances when the engine seems to cut out--mostly mid range--seems computer generated--but then it will run great and not miss abeat but every once in awhile it sort of "Stutters"--just about seems like clutches getting wet but i think it has to do with the computer.Doesn't cause much grief yet so i am riding it out to see if it happens more often.
Just my 2 cents

·
Team REED's
1,789 Posts
Fuel problem!! Its in the injectors/tank pick-up/mapping system for the fuel!! Been there done that!

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Before we go blaming the already problematic SDI system lets start out simple..,.......This sounds like it could very easily be a stuck RAVE valve.
Clean them, or take them apart and inspect them!

But most likely its ANOTHER SDI failure. Mine's already thrown the check engine light 3 times this year for failed sensors. Lovely huh?

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
Deadman...in those 3 times...which sensors was it/what was replaced and or re-wired/grounded?

·
Registered
52 Posts
mine had service engine light showing on saturday but it went out on its own. that being said i used 9 plugs this past weekend on 150 kms. wish they would figure out the problems with these bad sdi,s or else reimburse us. im at about 60 plugs now on 2500 kms. soon have the cylinder head worn out.

·
Super Moderator
29,356 Posts
Your thought on a sensor shutting it down makes sence. Do you run Isopropyl? If not, it could be starting to freeze over a bit and it's saving itself.

·
Registered
351 Posts
nicky is great said:
mine had service engine light showing on saturday but it went out on its own. that being said i used 9 plugs this past weekend on 150 kms. wish they would figure out the problems with these bad sdi,s or else reimburse us. im at about 60 plugs now on 2500 kms. soon have the cylinder head worn out.
[snapback]272517[/snapback]​
Why don't you buy some BR9EYA's for that SDI and you will probably not spend any more on plugs for the season. 60 plugs is outragous.......7.75 CDN X 60 = 465 CDN plus the tax......WOW $535 CDN just in plugs!!!

The BR9EYA are half the price and perform better.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Called the Dealer today and they said they feel the stutter also. They called BRP and they said they could be chasing more than one problem. The Tech was told to shave the secondary bushing. This didn't cure the problem. He called back and BRP said to the Tech " how much time do you want to spend on this?" The Tech was blown away and told BRP that it was under Warranty and it had to be fixed. The Tech is now checking for fuel blockage, check valve, etc.
I can tell you this. If it isn't fixed soon I will be calling BRP and demand a new sled. What is it, after it has been in the dealership 4 times for the same problem it is considered a lemon? Does that apply to snowmobiles?

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Yellowknife said:
Deadman...in those 3 times...which sensors was it/what was replaced and or re-wired/grounded?
[snapback]272478[/snapback]​
Intake temp sensor and then 2 exhaust probes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
of the approximately 60 plugs i have used at least 20 and most of the recent ones are br9eya and are more like a third to buy at 2.89 from royal distributing and also bough a feeler gauge and checked to make sure they are all 031 something i never needed before but then again i never bought plugs by the box before. these sensors intrest me as i know what an oxygen sensor did to my gmc with doubling the fuel consumption. anyone else notice the terrible black patch by the exhaust when you start off. mine leaves a trail for several feet when cold started.

·
Crazy Person
5,615 Posts
nicky is great said:
[snapback]272517[/snapback]​
Why can't you re-use your plugs after they dry out?

Deadman said:
Intake temp sensor and then 2 exhaust probes.

[snapback]272813[/snapback]​
Interesting.

·
Registered
413 Posts
skidoonh said:
Just ended up with this problem this weekend. Lined up to race in Pittsburg NH. Full throttle and not letting off, the sled gets to 105 mph @ 8000 rpm's. If I let off and then to the bar again, the sled only goes 80 [email protected] 7500 rpm's and you end up toward the bars because it slows down so fast. If you feather the throttle it will slowly come out of it and get faster.
On the trails, from corner to corner, it will only rev at 7500 rpm's. It is not clutching. It feels fuel related or electrical. I took it to the dealer last night and they ran a self test on the computer and it past all the tests, no bad sensors. The dealer is calling BRP today and asking them if they've heard of this.
I looked in the owners manual and on one page it tells you to run 87 octane, but in the back of the manual it says to run a minimum of 91 octane. I thought maybe the knock sensor is retarding the timing and saving the motor from detonating
Any ideas??
[snapback]271855[/snapback]​
I have noticed a similar situation under similar conditions. I have 05 600 sdi gade. On one run it will pull harder with about 8000 rpm then seems to only pull up to 7500 on the next run. It has something to do with the engines ability to produce power and must be the computer reacting to sensor input. Late last year when the weather was warmer I noticed it even more and at that time I felt possibly egt's were climbing and the computer was dumping in extra fuel to lower egt. I don't think it is clutching because when the engine produces the normal power it shifts at the 8,000. It may be the computer is doing what it is designed to do to protect the engine.. This week I put on 235 miles in a day and one tank of fuel resulted in a few of these low rpm pulls whereas the other fillup seemed to result in more consistant pulls. I have a feeling it is fuel related and the computer is reacting to sensor inputs. It does not happen all that often, but I am still interested in any cures that are discovered...

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I had a problem much like discribed, it was the secondary, after a days running the secondary would bind up, It would let the engine rev to 8000 if you hammered it at very low speeds or at a stop but if you opened the throttle while cruising above 100km the revs would hang at 7500 only increasing if you backed off and babied it up to speed.
This happened several times even after cleaning and inspecting the secondary could not find anything wrong, how did I fix it you ask, bought a TEAM secondary. This was on my 04 ren SDI, I have since installed it on my 05 ren SDI.

·
Registered
413 Posts
kuziw said:
I had a problem much like discribed, it was the secondary, after a days running the secondary would bind up, It would let the engine rev to 8000 if you hammered it at very low speeds or at a stop but if you opened the throttle while cruising above 100km the revs would hang at 7500 only increasing if you backed off and babied it up to speed.
This happened several times even after cleaning and inspecting the secondary could not find anything wrong, how did I fix it you ask, bought a TEAM secondary. This was on my 04 ren SDI, I have since installed it on my 05 ren SDI.
[snapback]273054[/snapback]​
Did the problem completely go away after changing the secondary? What difference did you notice when you switched it to the 05?? thanks

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
dooman92 said:
kuziw said:
[snapback]273054[/snapback]​
Did the problem completely go away after changing the secondary? What difference did you notice when you switched it to the 05?? thanks
[snapback]273072[/snapback]​
Never had a problem again, the Team secondary is 10X the secondary that's was originally on the sled, the 600 SDI singings like a 440. Milegae improves and trailability is improved greatly because of the ease of back shifting of the TEAM, Icannot say it improves top speed but along with some other improvements I made it's a rocket in that 40-90 mph range.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts