Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a Renegade, and was wondering from some of you current owners if you could tell me which i should buy... I've heard that the 800 isn't much faster than the 600 SDI and i was wondering if that rumor was true........ Also what are the fuel consumption differences???

Thanx--------> Josh

·
Doo Rider
3,170 Posts
800 is definitely faster. 600 SDI is pretty fast also though. Can't say about the gas on the 800, but gas consumption on the 600 SDI is awsome. minimum people are getting is usually around 15mpg, up to reports of 20-21.

·
Registered
409 Posts
FormulaIII700R said:
I'm looking at buying a Renegade, and was wondering from some of you current owners if you could tell me which i should buy... I've heard that the 800 isn't much faster than the 600 SDI and i was wondering if that rumor was true........ Also what are the fuel consumption differences???

Thanx--------> Josh

[snapback]257080[/snapback]​
i just bought a 600 sdi and was worried about the power before i got it,but it has more than enough for the trails.top end is about 105 .an 800 will top out around 110-115 but the sdi is the way to go ,gas mileage is great nothin will beat the performance in the trails(you wouldnt get passed by a mach),you dont even know its a lond track,ill give it an A.Ski doo really did thier home work.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm a little skeptical of the reports of 20ish mpg on the sdis, but I think 15 is a reasonable expectation and you may get better, who knows? Depends a lot on your riding style, too. My 800 gets 11, which makes for dismal range, specially if you like to boondock and get lost

Top speed in stock form may not be too different, probably b/c the 8oo is setup conservatively from the factory. Midrange whack is a lot stronger on the 8, as you would imagine, especially when doing 50mph+ and whacking it. The 8 just pulls, the 6 is more like a slower climb. My experiences are from comparing my 04 8oo and my buddy's 04 6ho (carb).

In short, if I had to do it over again, I'd go with the sdi, just for the improved fuel mileage/range. But I wasn't quite ready to jump on new tech last year. The rev has the smallest oem tank now out of the 4 oems
fwiw, the 600ho is even worse on gas. Last time out, when I got 11, my bud got 9 with his 6ho. These are renegades, keep in mind, shorties might be different.

·
Registered
186 Posts
After breakin, my worst gas mileage has been 15.5 mpg riding hard and best was 18.8 mph riding easy on my 600 sdi. I have 700 miles on it so this ia based on quite a few fillups. I'm riding with powervalved cats that I've always thought got great gas mileage during these rides that get 10-14 mpg under the same conditions.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Go with the 600SDI, the only place a 800 will be better is from 120 kph and up, I'm on my second SDI renegade, it's the greatest running sled ever. any one doubts the 20-23 mi/gal talk in certain riding conditions doesn't have a 600SDI. Doesn't matter who to ride with, any make any size, the 600SDI will be the best at the pumps.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
kuziw said:
Go with the 600SDI, the only place a 800 will be better is from 120 kph and up, I'm on my second SDI renegade, it's the greatest running sled ever. any one doubts the 20-23 mi/gal talk in certain riding conditions doesn't have a 600SDI. Doesn't matter who to ride with, any make any size, the 600SDI will be the best at the pumps.

[snapback]257260[/snapback]​
The SDI's do get great milage, but I must ride mine much harder. My milage was usually 13, because I have it clamped most of the time.
High speed really seems to get the milage down in a hurry! But honestely my milage was dead even with a F7 all of last year, so its really nothing to Brag that much about. Just a ton better than the old school carbs.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have been seeing 15 mpg. I am just a bit lower than the yammie RX-1 and Vectors that I have been riding with. They have been seeing 17 & 18 mpg.

I love this machine. It is great to ride and smooth. I am starting to feel giddy.

I have a 5 day trip to the UP in several weeks and I will probably be riding a bit slower because of the size of the group. I am expecting my gas mileage to be higher.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I run between 13 and 17 mpg. The crispness of the throttle is awesome. Pulls just as hard as an 800 until about 60, then an 800 will keep pulling. I ride rough trails most of the time, so I don't spend a lot of time in the 80+ mph range. So the 600 was perfect for me. Either way you really can't go wrong. I have no regrets with my purchase and I doubt many 800 owners have any regrets either.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Even though My 800 is not an H.O., I put about 100 miles on yesterday on rough trails and low speeds and got 13.9 mpg. My sled seems to get better mileage on steady 70 mph runs. I got 15 up in the U.P. last year running high speed trails.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
My nephew bought a new 800 Gade with the Power-Tech motor. It is great on gas. He had a 600 SDI Gade last year, and he thinks the new 800 is at least as good on gas (maybe better)! I have a 600 HO and it SUCKS GAS! If you really want an 800, don't worry about gas mileage, they're both better than a 600 HO.

·
Registered
209 Posts
When we line up the 8's and the 6's, the 8's win from start to finish. I bought the 8 for the power and have never regretted it. If I'm spending $11,000+CDN for a toy I'm not going to let 3-5mpg(CDN) sway my thinking. In my group of regulars we travel between 2400 and 3500mi per year. In the same conditions the 800ho would burn less fuel than the 600ho and if you were baggin it there was even more of diff. Not sure where the new pt will be but I will check only out of curriosity.
P.S. If you live in the south half of Manitoba You are a lucky bunch!!!!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
i have 600ho sdi i have run side by side up to 80 with an 800 many times. raced another 800 for 1/4 mile and smoked him by 100 feet. iride with these guys all the time they get $10 in gas iget $7.50. there's not much riding over 80 for us so the choice was easy. cheeper insurance too!!
FormulaIII700R said:

Thanx--------> Josh

·
Registered
478 Posts
I had a hard time deciding between the 600SDI and 800 Powertek on my Renegade. I ended up with the 800 and glad I did. Yesterday was my first time out and put on 170 miles around Cadillac MI. My first 40 miles, the average economy was 9-10mpg. My second stop, the mpg went to 12.6. Towards the end of the day, machine was running much crisper, smoother, and quicker. We were riding in a combination of high speed runs, breaking trail, smooth and rough groomed. I figure economy should be in the range of 13-14mpg next time since the engine is now broken in. Top speed on a groomed railroad grade over 1 mile was registering at 102 mph, bone stock machine with no studs.

·
Registered
413 Posts
FormulaIII700R said:

Thanx--------> Josh

I agree with deadman. I have an 05 600 sdi renegade and it is an awesome sled. I have just under 2,000 miles on it. I average about 13.5 mpg. I have gotten as poor as 11 and as good as 15. I always lead and pin it whenever I can. I generally do allitle better than the group, but those getting 15 or better must be easier on the throttle.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts