Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting stranded in Haliburton Forest a couple of weeks ago with a dead battery, I finally got my Renegade SDI back from the dealer. Stator and Regulator were both pooched. No power being generated means a SDI won't run so you are stranded where ever you are. Thankfully I was with a couple electric start machines so we disconnected my lights and switched batteries. I managed to limp back to the truck. Isn't Technology wonderful!

Just wondering if anyone else out there has had to pull there motor to replase the stator?

Tim

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
RenegadeSDI said:
After getting stranded in Haliburton Forest a couple of weeks ago with a dead battery, I finally got my Renegade SDI back from the dealer. Stator and Regulator were both pooched. No power being generated means a SDI won't run so you are stranded where ever you are. Thankfully I was with a couple electric start machines so we disconnected my lights and switched batteries. I managed to limp back to the truck. Isn't Technology wonderful!

Just wondering if anyone else out there has had to pull there motor to replase the stator?

Tim
[snapback]694542[/snapback]​
nope, that's a first here! really sucks too!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had the stator on my 04 fail last year on the first day of my week long trip. What tipped me off to a problem was that the sled would lurch real bad if you hit the hi/low beam at speed, and the battery light would come on and beep at me with the high beams on. So off to the dealer I go in the morning, after reading the repair manual for trouble shooting the stator on the sdi, it says to connect to the buds computer, this tells you nothing. The only way to check, is to pull your pipe and behind the nun is the voltage regulator. Pull the wire assembly apart here, yellow wires. Get the meter out amd set it to ohms and check between ALL 3 wires, you should have a reading similar to what the repair manual tells you for non-sdi machines, don't remember now. Mine had blown 2 of the 3 coils in the stator assembly. No stators anywhere except the factory...What to do?? Well we disconnected one headlight, and I didn't run any handwarmers or electric shield. This actually worked for about 1000miles before she gave up the ghost with less than 100 miles to go. The way the stator works, all it does is generate 3phase voltage, they then rectify each leg of this to generate the 12vdc, and then they common them all together to maximize the power. The fault with this is that they do not have a fusible link or a breaker, and this allows the stator to be overloaded without blowing individual fuses. I believe my problem was because I added 2 new headlights that are 100watts each and on a 280 watt stator you are not really leaving a lot for hand warmers, electric shield, battery charging, fuel pump and computer. Dealer replaced it in about 2 hours when I got home, you do not need to pull the engine to do this fix, but small hands help.

·
Registered
57 Posts
|Renegade17| said:
Sorry, my uncle is buying a new SDI and wants to know a simple question, does a n SDI need a battery? I said no but he wont listen to his ONLY nepwhew. Thanks for answers.
[snapback]695134[/snapback]​
All SDI's need a battery. The non-elec start has a smaller one than the elec start.

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
The stator alone is around $500 US, add to that the regulator and the fact that the motor needs to come out to get to it and it becomes a pricey job.. I dont think the dealer ripped him, $1600 probably isnt as unreasonable as it sounds when it all adds up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey tt670,
Mike at Rodgers and Sons fixed mine last year in under 2 hours. You DO NOT need to pull the engine!
The Stator is $340.47us retail.
The Voltge regulator is $240.47 us retail.
--------------------
$580.94 us Retail
+$1000.00 Labor
--------------------
$1580.94 for a2 hour job.
Not a bad pay day for the dealer!!!

Correction to my above post...The stator puts out 480watts NOT 280watss like I previously posted.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
reman stator for sdi $300.00 with a good warranty and they shouldnt need to pull the motor out,with the proper tools it is a two hour job or less,$80.00 shop rate =$160.00 plus some diagnostic and testing afterward is an extra hour=$240.00 labor,i would be hesitant to return to that dealer unless he shows you the flat rate book for warranty and gives you estimates first.

·
Premium Member
11,990 Posts
Maverick said:
Hey tt670,
Mike at Rodgers and Sons fixed mine last year in under 2 hours. You DO NOT need to pull the engine!
The Stator is $340.47us retail.
The Voltge regulator is $240.47 us retail.
--------------------
$580.94 us Retail
+$1000.00 Labor
--------------------
$1580.94 for a2 hour job.
Not a bad pay day for the dealer!!!

Correction to my above post...The stator puts out 480watts NOT 280watss like I previously posted.
[snapback]695499[/snapback]​
I guess youre right, I forgot I was able to pull the flywheel and dig out the pickup coils on mine without pulling the motor, In fact I know I could do it in under an hour when pressured. I changed one on the dyno last yr at dynotech.. when dyno time is costing $125 hr you move fast. There must be alot of price variance on stators I bought one last month for my 03, cost me a bit over $400.. oh well! After further review Im going to overturn my call and say $1600 is theft!! Since it was a stator and regulator in one shot I wonder if it isnt another case of changing parts till it works and making the customer eat the cost of their incompetence.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.