Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 600 SDI just developed an intermittent problem. The tach stops working and all the warning lights on the dash light up (temp, check engine, etc.). The speedometer keeps working but the odometer flashes "scale". Luckily the engine seems to run normally throughout.

If I shut it off and restart sometimes it returns to normal for awhile.

I swapped the relays and reseated the fuses but the problem returned. I suspect there may be an issue with power to the tach or speedo or maybe one of them is failing.

Has anybody else seen anything like this?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Check the grounds

·
Premium Member
27,924 Posts
Tough to say with no measurements being posted. Burtamiss started with the grounds where most problems begin. Good looking grounds can be deceiving which is something that members on this forum are well aware. A good place to start is with voltage readings. Check voltage at the battery and gauges.

·
Premium Member
27,924 Posts
Both the speedo and tach get their power from the RD/GY wire (Red wire with Grey stripe), and the chassis ground. Hope that helps.

·
Premium Member
27,924 Posts
Both the speedo and tach get their power from the RD/GY wire (Red wire with Grey stripe), and the chassis ground. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE...

The problem is always present now. I checked grounds and found nothing. However the battery voltage when running is about 17.7 volts! I'm guessing that the high voltage may be causing the issues with the gauges.

Is this high voltage typical of a poorly grounded regulator?

·
Registered
94 Posts
UPDATE...

The problem is always present now. I checked grounds and found nothing. However the battery voltage when running is about 17.7 volts! I'm guessing that the high voltage may be causing the issues with the gauges.

Yes, a bad ground can cause this... so can a bad regulator. Clean the grounds first.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I replaced the regulator and the voltage at the battery is still almost 18 volts. I also cleaned and retightened the grounds at the regulator and the ground wire but no change.

Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Check the trip button on the gauge make shure it is not stuck in that is normally the problem when scale pops up

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked the meter on another battery and it's ok. "Scale" is showing and all the warning lights are on at the same time that the charging voltage is high so it looks like they're related.

·
Premium Member
27,924 Posts
UPDATE...

That's a pretty good assessment. 17.7 Vdc is a safe indication of a faulty Voltage Regulator. Most of us don't have such a clean reading of a failed component.

·
Registered
263 Posts
But I've replaced the regulator and the voltage is still high. Can anything else (bad connection for example) cause the charging voltage to go high like this? I know that the replacement regulator worked in another sled.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Check the chassis ground at the right footwell. Check the plug at the ecu. Check the plug at the tach. I would try running it with the tach plug unplugged and check the voktage that would rule out a short in the tach itself.

Just a thought, have you tried a different battery? Stranger things have happened with bad battery. just for sheets and giggles check your voltage at one of the accessory plugs or one of the headlight plugs

·
Premium Member
27,924 Posts
But I've replaced the regulator and the voltage is still high. Can anything else (bad connection for example) cause the charging voltage to go high like this? I know that the replacement regulator worked in another sled.
I didn't know there was anything more to worry about, so you got me there. The VR sheds the excess voltage though the chassis ground, so if it doesn't and the same VR works fine on another sled, then this becomes very complicated problem. But it doesn't mean it can't be solved.

·
Registered
94 Posts
If the regulator is known good, then I'd recheck all the grounds. There really are three... the case, the wire that gets grounded at the case and the black wire that goes into the harness. I'd also check that the wire that goes into the harness gets to its ground (but I'm not sure exactly where that one is)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts