Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put the first 75 miles on my '05 600 SDI and I got just 10.8 mpg! I would have put on more miles, but it was on "E" after just 60 miles, so we turned around and we went back to the trailer! That's a long ways from the 18-20 mpg I was expecting from this engine. Is it just the break in that I will see this? What has everyone else been seeing for mileage?

·
Registered
414 Posts
ive heard that they arent to much better on as then just regular carbes sleds ive seen some plain carbed motors getter better MPG than SDI

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have an 04' 600 SDI adren--- I have approx 1500 miles on it and I have never got less then 15miles per gallon and often 17-19.

I have a buddy with same sled and he has similiar experience.

We always use the laest amout of fuel at gas stops...

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think your mileage should be better. Part of our trip yesterday was 200km exactly, and I required exactly 30L. Thats 124miles on 7.9 US gallons , or 15.7 mpg. That's in sub optimal, loose conditions with a few good railbed/lake pulls.

I was getting good mileage day one on my '04 GSX, and still see 17 to 18 mpg on good days.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I've been getting a little over 18 miles to the gal (Canadian) and 75 miles to the liter of oil. pretty happy with it so far. 278 miles on it.

·
Registered
5,793 Posts
Don't EVER judge ANYTHING by that rediclous fuel gauge.

Most SDI's are coming in around 15MPG. Thats not bad at all, so I'm sure your's will either get better or its not as bad as you think it is.
When my gas tank indicates E, then I still have almost 5 gallons left in the tank.

·
Super Moderator
29,355 Posts
I usually run about 12-13 MPG. I have seen 16 MPG once. I know what my problem is too - it's my right thumb.

Don't expect 18-20 MPG - you will be disappointed.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Couple of rules to remember when checking gas milage.Make sure when you start out the fuel tank Is full(Just because the gage says It Is doesn't make It so) and after your run, when you fill up again see rule # 1

·
Registered
8,113 Posts
if you were expecting 18-20 they we already know you live in dreamland!

an SDI will get between 13-15 mpg! with aggressive riding and depending on conditions.

be sure you actually used all the gas in the tank, some had probs with fuel pickups being too high effectivly making the tank only 6 gals etc.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I was getting 15 mpg with mine last Thursday and Friday. Later, Sxrlar.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Just completed trip 17o miles took 11 gal (correct size), that's 15+ miles gal and that trip had everything in it . My sled now has 300 miles on it.. 1 st trip very marginal snow don't think I was over 60 mph got an outstanding 23 mpg imp. THAT'S GOOD

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
This from my trip yesterday. Left home tank and jerry can full and ran with a group of eight, some older guys, ran on hard packed with 2" of light snow at speeds between 45-60mph. At 250kms machine started to sputter going down hill so we stopped and I dumped the jerry can in. Ran another 30KMS and filled up tank and jerry can, took 37liters. First off it is safe to say the pickup is too high in the tank, if the tank holds 37liters like the book says I should have run out at the pumps not 30kms before. So 280KMS on 37 liters of gas works out to 21.8 MPG imp and not quit a liter of oil...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Only have 140 miles on mine but it worked out to 14.2 MPG.
Thats looking at gas in the filler neck between fill ups, no the gauge.
1 qt. of oil. Mixed conditions, mostly loose snow on top of ice base.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was going to post on this yesterday.

I have consistantly seen 15 mpg with my SDI from the very beginning. I did see 11 mpg the first tank of this season due to 1/2 bad gas and 1/2 fresh premium. After that tank was used up the mpg went back to 15 mpg.

Last night I rode 120 miles and got 18.9 mpg. Awesome! Best mileage to date. I wasn't super heavy on the throttle, it was icy and I don't have studs.

At our first fill up my buddy put in about 4.5 gallons and I only put in 2.75 gallons.

Plain and simple, these SDI's have great gas mileage. If you aren't seeing that, you might have a warranty issue.

By the way, my sled was very smoky last night. I am using the Synthetic Blend XPS BRP oil. Anyone else having this experience. Oil consumption is normal. THis morning when I fired her up, there wasn't that much smoke. Probably nothing but I thought I would ask.

Thanks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My 05 600 SDI now have 1300 km on it. I usualy average at 22 or 23 miles per gallons. But remember this is in canadian gallon (which is bigger than the US) and I only use the groomed trails.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I got about the same mileage 10.5 MPG my first tank. It has increased now to
14-17MPG depending upon how hard I run it. I will say that this sled varies gas mileage more than any other sled I have had. If I run it real hard 13MPG if I take it easy 17MPG. I have about 900 miles on it now.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Beezneez said:
I put the first 75 miles on my '05 600 SDI and I got just 10.8 mpg! I would have put on more miles, but it was on "E" after just 60 miles, so we turned around and we went back to the trailer! That's a long ways from the 18-20 mpg I was expecting from this engine. Is it just the break in that I will see this? What has everyone else been seeing for mileage?
[snapback]258699[/snapback]​
two of us bought 04 600 SDI's and we consistently get 140 to 180 miles per tank of gas. maybe the dealer could do a computer update. do you have the gas gauge or the tank gauge. the tank gauges are junk. carry a small gas can with you and run the tank right dry or till it starts to stutter and that will tell you how many miles per tank. thats what i done. you should wait till break in procedure is done to go to the dealer with your issues though.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts