Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the title looks bad, but to be honest, I was really getting a lot of flack this weekend.
I have a 2003 800 MXZ, and just bought a 2005 600 HO SDI for the girlfriend this year.
So here we go up north to go riding with all the "Polaris" and "Yamaha" boys this past weekend.
We get ready to get the sleds off the trailer, (after the girlfriend is bragging up her new sled of course) anyway I jump on to unload it, and suddenly the electric start no longer works! Following a long string of cussing and swearing I finally find that if I turn the start motor by hand, then push the button....it works again. Evidently there is a dead spot in the starter motor.....keep in mind this sled had 60 miles on it at this point.
Ok, now it turns over, just long enough to start, and for me to find it has fouled the plugs again.....(3 sets already to get the 60 miles).
So now the other boys are really having a good time at my expense....you can imagine.
Anyway, I finally get it running, and off we go for some riding....this part is all good, and I like the sled a lot.
Then every single morning, or if it sat for two long (for instance from the morning ride to the night ride), another set of plugs had to go in.
At this point I don't even try to walk up to it without getting a new set of plugs out. Anyway, I'm around 200 miles, and I've got a questionable starter, along with $150.00 in new plugs for it.
Of course the dealer assured me that this is all going to fix itself once I hit two hundred miles, and the timing curve changes.
Too bad about this plug thing.....otherwise I would be extremely happy with the sled.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
821 Posts
I think your dealer is dreaming. That sled should not do that. I have 752 miles on my 05 SDI and have not had a speck of problems. My buddy has identical seld and he has had no problems either. I don't know what it is but here is something out of adjustment on your sled.
 

·
Crazy Person
Joined
·
5,615 Posts
Come on BRP, get these guys sleds fixed!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
My starter on my 03 600HO does the same thing! checked Battery everything I could think of! Seems to only happen first ride of the year or if has sat a long time.
then works fine after 1 or 2 hrs of riding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tenbones said:
My starter on my 03 600HO does the same thing! checked Battery everything I could think of! Seems to only happen first ride of the year or if has sat a long time.
then works fine after 1 or 2 hrs of riding.
[snapback]306159[/snapback]​
It was only 1 day since I loaded it on the trailer. It may have picked up some moister or something while trailering on wet roads on an open trailer.
I guess I'm just venting....what can I say....after forking out 9K for a snowmobile, I thought I might get 1000 miles or so before it started having issues.
What was I thinking???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,120 Posts
What dealer told you 200 miles would fix this. I want to know so i never get a sled there. I have 4500 miles on mine and have fouled 6 plugs. The first 3 when the wife was leading a slow group for the Easter Seals For Women Only ride. And the last 3 when i put 60 miles on it going slow with my 2 year old son sitting in front of me. My dealer also advised me to run BR9EYS's from now on. They should replace the plugs,(my dealer did) put a new starter in and reprogram the ECU unit with BRP update 2005-03 at the least.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
newm316 said:
What dealer told you 200 miles would fix this. I want to know so i never get a sled there. I have 4500 miles on mine and have fouled 6 plugs. The first 3 when the wife was leading a slow group for the Easter Seals For Women Only ride. And the last 3 when i put 60 miles on it going slow with my 2 year old son sitting in front of me. They should replace the plugs put a new starter in and reprogram the ECU unit with 2005-03 at the least.
[snapback]306173[/snapback]​
I don't want to start bashing on the dealer yet.....I know they participate on this site, so I'm tempted.
I'll give him another shot to reprogram the thing, and check the oil injection.....I just have a bad feeling that I'm just going to get the run around from them again.
Tell me something like..."well sir, setting the oil injection is part of your 200 mile check-up", and the timing curve should have just changed itself so I'm sure that it will be fine now". "By the way, I'll give you 10% of on your next CASE of plugs".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,120 Posts
O and BTW we had 3 SDI with Electric start all run flawlessly with no fouled plugs on the Dootalk Grand Marias ride. Each had at least 450 miles without any problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
523 Posts
newm316 said:
O and BTW we had 3 SDI with Electric start all run flawlessly with no fouled plugs on the Dootalk Grand Marias ride. Each had at least 450 miles without any problems.
[snapback]306210[/snapback]​
Newman, I sent dschlaud a PM telling him about my oil adjustment. I think that was the main reason I was fouling the plugs.

After adjusting the oil cable and putting in EYA's Friday morning, the sled ran flawlessly all weekend. I would definitely have the dealer check the oil adjustment and do a fuel map update. Also, see if he will throw in a box of EYA's for your trouble. Good luck!

MMM Gade
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
newm316 said:
O and BTW we had 3 SDI with Electric start all run flawlessly with no fouled plugs on the Dootalk Grand Marias ride. Each had at least 450 miles without any problems.
[snapback]306210[/snapback]​
Ouch! Salt in the wound!
Seriously, I know there are a lot of sleds out there that don't have these issues, just makes me nuts that I've got a lemon so far.
Oh! By the way! So this dealer tells me that he is on this site all the time.....I learned from this site that you don't mix oil in the gas on the SDI's....evidently they didn't read those posts because they dumped oil in mine. That was a couple of tanks ago, and I thought that might have been part of the problem, but is should have cleared up by now.
I remember the day that I went to go and pick it up....walked in the back and looked at my nice new sled, happy as a boy on christmas. Then they went to start it for me.....fouled the plugs. At least they paid for that set!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
S
Ski Doo just told all the dealers the Rev SDI musy use A BLEND OIL the dealers have been told to drain out all the syn oil and replace it with the BLEND
dschlaud said:
I know the title looks bad, but to be honest, I was really getting a lot of flack this weekend.
I have a 2003 800 MXZ, and just bought a 2005 600 HO SDI for the girlfriend this year.
So here we go up north to go riding with all the "Polaris" and "Yamaha" boys this past weekend.
We get ready to get the sleds off the trailer, (after the girlfriend is bragging up her new sled of course) anyway I jump on to unload it, and suddenly the electric start no longer works! Following a long string of cussing and swearing I finally find that if I turn the start motor by hand, then push the button....it works again. Evidently there is a dead spot in the starter motor.....keep in mind this sled had 60 miles on it at this point.
Ok, now it turns over, just long enough to start, and for me to find it has fouled the plugs again.....(3 sets already to get the 60 miles).
So now the other boys are really having a good time at my expense....you can imagine.
Anyway, I finally get it running, and off we go for some riding....this part is all good, and I like the sled a lot.
Then every single morning, or if it sat for two long (for instance from the morning ride to the night ride), another set of plugs had to go in.
At this point I don't even try to walk up to it without getting a new set of plugs out. Anyway, I'm around 200 miles, and I've got a questionable starter, along with $150.00 in new plugs for it.
Of course the dealer assured me that this is all going to fix itself once I hit two hundred miles, and the timing curve changes.
Too bad about this plug thing.....otherwise I would be extremely happy with the sled.

[snapback]306117[/snapback]​
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
2005 MXZ Adrenaline 600 SDI with 600 miles on it. Fouled 1 plug with kids putzing around the yard (clutch side). Been using straight synthetic oil, starts on second pull and runs like a champ. I do feel for you however and hope the issue gets resolved. There must be something different between the sleds!
 

·
www.kalcoinspections.com
Joined
·
3,186 Posts
Here is a problem. If you added the oil to the gas for the first tank that your manual states then you'll foul plugs until your gas is free of oil. The mpem adds extra oil to the motor for the first 300 miles, after that it recalibrates to a normal oil level and hopefully should run fine. Had this problem with the wife's, a friend who did not add the oil to the tank has yet to foul a plug.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,793 Posts
Wait till BRP pipes in and says your sled is just fine and you are a LIAR!......Thats all the help those "edit for bad language"s are. They have your money, so they could care less if your sled runs or not. So be ready for your friendly reply from Viperer.
My 04 SDI did this last year for over 3,000 miles and BRP had no fixes. Now its better, but not because of BRP.
Basically you're stuck with it like this, unless BRP steps up to the plate and finds a fix for these issues. I don't understand why they are so stupid and ignore people with problems like this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
I had fouled three sets of plugs right up until 250 miles. I told me dealer (as I had just fouled a plug loading my sled) that something had to happen. I trailered the sled to his shop, he adjusted the injectors, and I've been another 300 miles with no issues. I had my 300 mile service performed recently as well and so far so good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
newm316 said:
What dealer told you 200 miles would fix this. I want to know so i never get a sled there. I have 4500 miles on mine and have fouled 6 plugs. The first 3 when the wife was leading a slow group for the Easter Seals For Women Only ride. And the last 3 when i put 60 miles on it going slow with my 2 year old son sitting in front of me. My dealer also advised me to run BR9EYS's from now on. They should replace the plugs,(my dealer did) put a new starter in and reprogram the ECU unit with BRP update 2005-03 at the least.
[snapback]306173[/snapback]​
.....and that's the plugs my dealer had in it when I picked it up.

Dealers make the difference is a consistent theme in these "I'm "edit for bad language" off at Doo" threads....

btw...from break in to today, 1600 ish miles and haven't replaced a plug or had a single issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
Its sounds like your doing business with Spicers. Good luck with them. It took 9 months and a lot of phone call to BRP to help to get my sled out of there. I would not recommend them to anyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
I hate to say it, but it's the dealers. I have talked to several other Doo owners around here and the ones that use the dealer I use have had little to no issues or problems. When they have had a problem, they have been cured very quickly. My dealer even went to the effort of calling all the SDI owners to tell them to get their sleds in to have the rings checked!!! They even call all their owners when recalls are put out. Some people complain that my dealer is expensive, but sometimes you get what you pay for!!!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
bm800rev said:
Here is a problem. If you added the oil to the gas for the first tank that your manual states then you'll foul plugs until your gas is free of oil. The mpem adds extra oil to the motor for the first 300 miles, after that it recalibrates to a normal oil level and hopefully should run fine. Had this problem with the wife's, a friend who did not add the oil to the tank has yet to foul a plug.
[snapback]306407[/snapback]​
Huh? I'm no expert, but as far as I know the oil pump is mechanically operated by the throttle, mpem has no effect on it???

Either way, I ran premix in my first tank and never fouled a plug. Seems pretty clear that you are either in the small percentage of plug foulers or not. Doesn't seem attributable to anything anyone can put a finger on yet.

Aside from an early stator problem, recently rings under warranty (at my convenience!), and intermittent WOT cutout, I have over 3,000 trouble-free miles. 2005-3 seems to have solved the WOT cutout. I'm overall very happy with the SDI. But if I was fouling plugs like some others are, I'd be pi$$ed too.
 

·
Crazy Person
Joined
·
5,615 Posts
The oil pump is not controlled electronically in any way.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top