Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read about so many guys here that buy....mostly 600's, then start modifying the motor, then go out and race anything. In short order, the motor's smoked! I learned long ago that if you want to be a better rider than mechanic...don't mess with the motor. All the sled companies have millions invested in engineering and testing to figure out how far to push the envolope. How many after market companies have that kind of money to invest in testing?
Leave it stock, beat the hell out of it, (maintain it), then trade it in. Those racers should just buy the 800 and put 600 stickers on it since your gona put more money in a smaller one anyway.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Thanks Tom for sharing your opinion...... I'm sure it was important to you.
Buying an 800 and putting 600cc stickers on and then racing in a 600cc limit class is called cheating!
Some of us have 600 we modify them and we race them in real races...
05SDI

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
05SDI said:
Thanks Tom for sharing your opinion...... I'm sure it was important to you.
Buying an 800 and putting 600cc stickers on and then racing in a 600cc limit class is called cheating!
Some of us have 600 we modify them and we race them in real races...
05SDI
[snapback]689499[/snapback]​
If you buy it to race it, then thats a diffrent story, and you wouldnt get away with that anyway. I'll bet less than one out of ten are actually raced. the rest are just racing friends out on a lake....there it don't matter.

·
RIP Old 600
2,646 Posts
maybe they dont want a 800. thats why they get a 600 and mod it a lil bit so its like a 700, maybe thats what they want?? jus my input. if i had the money to get a new sled i would get a 440x and make it a 600 mod. the sled would absolutly rip and beat anything. our dealer had one and raced an f7 for like 1000' and it wasnt even a race, the doo smoked the arctic crap. my input. its jus what the owner wants to doo to the sled.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Lake Tom said:
If you buy it to race it, then thats a diffrent story, and you wouldnt get away with that anyway. I'll bet less than one out of ten are actually raced. the rest are just racing friends out on a lake....there it don't matter.
[snapback]691544[/snapback]​
Last year:

This year:

YEP It's a 600 SDI in the Vet OPEN class. And it even held it's own off the line to the first corner! It was also the ONLY unstudded sled in my class! I got no worse then second on any hole shot!
05SDI

G

·
Lake Tom said:
I read about so many guys here that buy....mostly 600's, then start modifying the motor, then go out and race anything. In short order, the motor's smoked! I learned long ago that if you want to be a better rider than mechanic...don't mess with the motor. All the sled companies have millions invested in engineering and testing to figure out how far to push the envolope. How many after market companies have that kind of money to invest in testing?
Leave it stock, beat the hell out of it, (maintain it), then trade it in. Those racers should just buy the 800 and put 600 stickers on it since your gona put more money in a smaller one anyway.
[snapback]689474[/snapback]​
Ya but it's in my nature to play with shiney things and modify things that go vroom. Besides it's still fun to pull up next to a guy with a larger cc sled and show him your snow flap.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
rob7374 said:
Lake Tom said:
[snapback]689474[/snapback]​
Ya but it's in my nature to play with shiney things and modify things that go vroom. Besides it's still fun to pull up next to a guy with a larger cc sled and show him your snow flap.
[snapback]691624[/snapback]​
I hear you guys, didn't think about the insurance and that is important consideration. I just don't like to fix'em especially when several friends are waiting to ride. stock works for me

·
Registered
705 Posts
Don't know what the difference is, mod vs stock with Rev Motors. 600's and 800's blow up from ring failures up to '06. Neither of mine were covered under warranty and don't yet have 1000 miles on them (didn't wait for mine to blow - changed them). When I changed my rings both sled had large chunks of ring material missing. The don't modiy rule can apply with Yammies (had 2, didn't touch the motors), but not a 600 HO or 800 Doo.

So, to combat that I went with an RKT kit to solve the problems with the STOCK motor - sad isn't it. Though Doo probably spend Millions of $$, what did it prove? Cost me over 1K to fix their problem, could have cost them ~$30 for proper pistons and rings. Though it sounds like a little, you'd be supprised how little Hi-Tech pistons and rings cost in the auto industry for OEM's- that''d get you 4 piston/rings (4 rings per piston, too) assemblies pretty easily.

What I'm getting at is the OEM isn't always after getting you the best product for your $$, they aren't. If Doo wanted the best product for the consumer they wouldn't have allowed the 600's and 800's to be shipped to customers with the ring issues since the ZX chassis days.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.