Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 600 HO SDI idles low at startup (cold or warm). Sometimes it won't recover to the normal idle (normal meaning around 1900 RPM on my sled). When it doesn't recover and the idle stays around 1000 RPM, it runs like it's hitting on 1 cylinder once I take off. Sometimes I can hit the throttle a couple times and it will idle back up to normal. Many times it won't even start unless I hold the throttle all the way in and pull start it. I checked both plugs and they are both very black/carboned up and it appears to be running very rich. Do I simply have a rich fuel mixture condition or did the TPS fall out of proper adjustment or both? The sled has 2000 miles on it and it has been doing this consistantly since around 1700 miles. It actually did this when I first got it (new) and thought it was fouling plugs. I think if I would have hit the throttle back then it would have idled back up, but I replaced the plugs instead. It stopped doing it back then after I ran through what I thought was a bad tank of gas. It runs great once I get going (as long as the idle goes back up. If I can't get the idle back up to 1900, I need to shut it off and wait a few minutes and start it again). What could be the problem?

Thanks for any suggestions!!
Brian

·
Ka-RAY-Zeeee
5,301 Posts
My 05 will occasionally idle low from a warm start, but a blip of the throttle will always bring it back. Always idles right cold and only idles low warm about 5% of the time. 1300 miles give or take.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I checked both plugs and they are both very black/carboned up and it appears to be running very rich.

those plugs are techincally fouled. and may be misfiring on low idle. what does it rev at at your normal rpm? should be 1600-1800 rpm to have enough power to run everything. have you had the updates sone? running br8ecs?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Chances are your're still runing the br9ecs plugs. I had the exact same problem and you're idling low and rough because you're plugs are fouled. When it gets really bad then one of your plugs is not firing at all. Just spend the $15-20 at the Doo Dealer and get the br8ecs plugs. I carry br9ecs spares because I've had 0 problems since changing. Might want to check with a mechanic to see what needs to be cleaned. Engines get pretty dirty when running on one cylinder. One warning: Ride as much as possible after changing plugs. Once your sled is running good it won't snow anymore.

·
Registered
594 Posts
change you plugs if they are fouled. That's more than likely the idle problem. Mine ran like that after I fired it up this season and burnt out the fogging oil.

put new plugs in it and its been fine since.

Thats the simple solution that you need to try first, then if that doesn't fix it, post again.

FishHog

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I changed the plugs and started it up. Same problem. It idles too low unless I hit the throttle. Sometimes even hitting the throttle doesn't bring it back up. It's almost like something is sticking. Could the RAVE valves need to be cleaned or something like that? Could it be a TPS setting?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Had a similar problem this past weekend. Sled ran doggy and unresponsive on Saturday, then on Sunday had a problem starting 600 HO SDI. As I was working to replace the plugs, noticed the airbox was not secured. Put it back on, tightened down and the sled ran perfect. Worth a look!

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a similar condition as what you described . Earlier this year it wouldn't even start and I thought it was fouled plugs. Changed em and it didn't help. Don't ask me why this works but try it on yours . If mine won't start on one or two pulls when it is warm, I turn off the kill switch and give it two short pulls. Switch it back on and it runs normal. I have now idea why it does it but it is consistant as hell. Just started this year, never did anything like that before. Just for the record it idles low once in a while but a blip brings it back and then it runs fine.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Ressurecting an old thread....Has anyone found a explanation to the low idle on the SDI, mine started to idle low the last weekend of riding last season and I just got it out of storage yesterday and it is still idling at about 1000 rpm's. I will be installing new rings(compression was getting lower last season),fuel filter,injector o-rings,plugs. cleaning the raves and inspecting the carb boots but I was wondering if there is something else I should be looking for.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Couple other things to look out for.The oil pump could need adjusted,Doo does set them rich from new and many don,t bother to recheck after first 300
miles or so after break-in.This is also a possible cause ,the oil pump could be sticking open,did it on mine,to much oil at start up and the plug oil fouls,of coarse it will run fine once you get the sled moving and working the throttle it usually loosens up and stops sticking and then works properly.To test open throttle all the way and release very slowly while looking through to the pump cable between the clutches,you may need a flash light to see in there.The other issue is the TPS which will go out of adjustment if the throttle cable stretches to much,check the free plat at the throttle block,shouldent be more that about 1 mil befor the throttle body
start to open.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have had the kill switch problem also but that is unrelated to the low idle. contact cleaner should fix the kill switch

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well, didnt make to big a deal out of this earlier, but im breaking in my 600 ho (carb) lynx, and after 15 minutes or so of really rough trail riding (on and off) the idling got pretty low. When I let it stay it sounds like its just about to die. Wonder if I went and ruined the rings or something... also, the oil light kept flashing (sure, I was running a little low on oil but it was under control).

Edit; Sled ran about 150 km's before today...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, didnt make to big a deal out of this earlier, but im breaking in my 600 ho (carb) lynx, and after 15 minutes or so of really rough trail riding (on and off) the idling got pretty low. When I let it stay it sounds like its just about to die. Wonder if I went and ruined the rings or something... also, the oil light kept flashing (sure, I was running a little low on oil but it was under control).

I just purchased the identical sled. It has about 600 miles on it. Before I bought it they replaced the low idol injectors and said that it should idol fine now?? I assumed that there was a idol problem . It runs great now from a start. Apparently if when summerizing these sleds the stabilizer needs to be throuoghly run through the injectors. You may have a plugged injector? This may be the problem??

Richard

·
Registered
83 Posts

I just purchased the identical sled. It has about 600 miles on it. Before I bought it they replaced the low idol injectors and said that it should idol fine now?? I assumed that there was a idol problem . It runs great now from a start. Apparently if when summerizing these sleds the stabilizer needs to be throuoghly run through the injectors. You may have a plugged injector? This may be the problem??

Richard

[/quote]

Thanks but my engine is the carbmodel. Sounds like you're talking about the SDI.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.