Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello new to the doo talk,looking for some help with my sled.A 2005 mxz renegade 600 ho sdi,it has a hesitation that happens at any speed.It 'll hestitate than rev up,if you ease the throttle it doen't do it.Get a little aggressive on the throttle and it hesitates,if you slowly release the throttle it seems to stop hesitating.I have put a new belt on,new plugs,checked and cleaned air filter,cleaned the raves,checked carb boots.Any help here would be great,thanks

·
Registered
396 Posts
i am having very similar problem with my 04 sdi, felt like belt was slipping on top end put new one on and same story. talked to my dealer and he said check the fuel pickup in the tank first, the sock on the pickup are known to get plugged with debris. so i'm gonna start there and see what i find, make sure your fuel filter is new also.

·
Premium Member
27,928 Posts
i am having very similar problem with my 04 sdi, felt like belt was slipping on top end put new one on and same story. talked to my dealer and he said check the fuel pickup in the tank first, the sock on the pickup are known to get plugged with debris. so i'm gonna start there and see what i find, make sure your fuel filter is new also.
Your 04 should not have a sock, only a dual pickup. The easiest way to troubleshoot a fuel problem is to use a pressure gauge, and the dealer can do this and a few more things in 1/2 hour, which is cheap ~$40 with tax. Within 10 min they can tell you if the problem is with the HP pump and regulator, or with the fuel filter. Within a 1/2 hour they can also tell you how the injectors are performing. Injectors are a little more complicated than a simple test on BUDS, but at least they can direct your search in the right direction.

The bonus in high season is the good dealers are not looking for more work, and they will be happy to accommodate you with a 1/2 hour slot in their busy schedule to run some easy tests.

For $35 dollars you will have a much better idea what to fix, and the sled can be brought home and the money spent on parts and a few tools. For instance, say the fuel filer is at fault, then you can purchase only the filter 709 000 100 from BRP or $20 and buy some Oteiker clamps and pliers at your local hardware store to plumb it securely.

Or you can find an affordable fuel pressure gauge and hose at your auto store, along with some regular collars to plump the gauge and perform the tests yourself. You will have plenty pocket change left to buy some Oteiker clamps and pliers at your local hardware store for when the testing is done and it's time to plump the new filter securely.

There are many ways to go about troubleshooting this problem without breaking the piggy bank and cancelling your next ride because of lack of funds for fuel. And there is no lack of help on this forum. Once you have a plan, it can be executed while having a good time.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Great advice except for the part about the $20.00 filter, they are much more than that $60.00 plus but still worth changing it out.

·
Premium Member
27,928 Posts
If your local auto store does not have a t and fittings that is needed to plumb a fuel pressure gauge, ask them where is the nearest shop that services hydraulic oil pumps pumps for heavy equipment, and they should have everything you need for plumbing. Those guys are usually very resourceful in more areas than you would image, so tell them what you are up to and you never know how much help they can provide.

·
Premium Member
27,928 Posts
Great advice except for the part about the $20.00 filter, they are much more than that $60.00 plus but still worth changing it out.
I completely agree, the filter on a 600 SID and 1000 SDI comes as an assembly with part number 513 033 133 and will run you closer to $80 with taxes. Part # 709 000 100 is only the filter, but it needs to be plumbed securely with Oteiker clamps.

But guess what Waldo, we may have come-up with a brilliant plan for the OP! The filter assembly comes with two female disconnects, and that would be perfect to plumb a fuel pressure test gauge in a hurry. With a quick trip to the auto store or hydraulic shop, he could have that gauge plumbed by them right on the spot and for peanuts. The bonus is it would take 2 min to install and begin testing.

·
800ho x
1,170 Posts
my 04 SDI was just doing this and I have a new filter on it (napa 3095 wix filter for $4 been using them for years with fuel injection clamps ) I had a arm hung up and dirty in my primary..so I cleaned the primary and had my secondary cleaned and inspected by my local service guy ($12) problem gone

·
Registered
922 Posts
Check the TPS wire that runs up between the throttle bodies. Turns out there was a service bulletin from BRP regarding them for chafing and exposing the copper. Took me about a month of frustration earlier this season to solve the same problem. Did all the normal stuff, took to dealer and watched them run a complete diagnostic check up on BUDS system. Now since I found that no more power loss but I have to take it back and have TPS zeroed.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Your 04 should not have a sock, only a dual pickup. The easiest way to troubleshoot a fuel problem is to use a pressure gauge, and the dealer can do this and a few more things in 1/2 hour, which is cheap ~$40 with tax. Within 10 min they can tell you if the problem is with the HP pump and regulator, or with the fuel filter. Within a 1/2 hour they can also tell you how the injectors are performing. Injectors are a little more complicated than a simple test on BUDS, but at least they can direct your search in the right direction.

The bonus in high season is the good dealers are not looking for more work, and they will be happy to accommodate you with a 1/2 hour slot in their busy schedule to run some easy tests.

For $35 dollars you will have a much better idea what to fix, and the sled can be brought home and the money spent on parts and a few tools. For instance, say the fuel filer is at fault, then you can purchase only the filter 709 000 100 from BRP or $20 and buy some Oteiker clamps and pliers at your local hardware store to plumb it securely.

Or you can find an affordable fuel pressure gauge and hose at your auto store, along with some regular collars to plump the gauge and perform the tests yourself. You will have plenty pocket change left to buy some Oteiker clamps and pliers at your local hardware store for when the testing is done and it's time to plump the new filter securely.

There are many ways to go about troubleshooting this problem without breaking the piggy bank and cancelling your next ride because of lack of funds for fuel. And there is no lack of help on this forum. Once you have a plan, it can be executed while having a good time.
when i said sock, i was referring to the dual screened pickup on fuel pump, so i pulled that out today and is was clean and in good shape. so I am still chasing this top end bog/hesitation. my compression is 105psi on both cylinders. could this be causing it? i know a top end will be in order soon, but do you think this could be source of bog?

·
Troll Patrol ®
15,531 Posts
105 is def to low. Most rebuild when it gets atleast below 120.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts