Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I need some help with an issue my sled is having. Its a 2009 MXZ 600 etec with almost 20,000km and about 1000km on a full rebuild. First ride of the season on Thursday and about 10 minutes in of rail bed ridding (at a good speed) I feel a brief loss of power but it goes away. 5-10 minutes later the sled losses power and won't go above 6500 rpm. I turn it off to take a look and find nothing obviously wrong. So fire it up again to try and replicate it and nothing happens. Get ridding again and 10ish minutes later it does it again exact same thing. Starts of subtle then with in a span of a few minutes gets to the point where it maxs out at 6500ish rpm. I was able to make it through the trip by just turning it off when ever it started to act up and turn it right back on and I would be fine for about 10 min. The harder I was ridding the sooner it would happen.

I've heard this could be an issue with the fuel filter in the fuel tank getting plugged? But if that is the case why does it take 10 minutes to start acting up and go away by quickly turning it off and back on. I also thought maybe a vacuum was forming in that tank and starving the engine for fuel. I tired popping the gas cap but it made no difference. I also had a full tank of fuel sitting in it all summer; however, even after I filled up with a fresh tank of premium the problem persisted. Does anyone have any idea of any probable causes? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
I remember as post not long ago that had a similar issue. I tried to find it. I think it was the filter in the tank was getting plugged up. Debris would build up on the filter and start to plug it up. Once you shut the sled off debris falls off the sock and then starts to do it again. The member cleaned the tank and new filter. He found a bunch of crap in the tank. May or not be your issue.

Only going off memory. Hope some others can chime in.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
I would agree that a filter and sock would be a good starting point. Seems to be a fuel issue from what you're describing.

Could be a fuel pump that isn't holding pressure under load.

·
Premium Member
28,127 Posts
Classic muffler temperature getting too hot.

I could not write the symptoms as good lol

If old gas then replace.

If new gas then have injectors checked.

If Premium Gauge, get the muffler temp display option.

If no premium gauge, install EGTs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remember as post not long ago that had a similar issue. I tried to find it. I think it was the filter in the tank was getting plugged up. Debris would build up on the filter and start to plug it up. Once you shut the sled off debris falls off the sock and then starts to do it again. The member cleaned the tank and new filter. He found a bunch of crap in the tank. May or not be your issue.

Ok thanks I will see if I can find that post. Seems like a fun job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Classic muffler temperature getting too hot.
I could not write the symptoms as good lol
If old gas then replace.
If new gas then have injectors checked.
If Premium Gauge, get the muffler temp display option.
If no premium gauge, install EGTs.
Wow ok thanks. Old gas can affect the muffler temp sensor?

·
Premium Member
28,127 Posts
Wow ok thanks. Old gas can affect the muffler temp sensor?

I don't know, it's not something I bother to test. What I do know is that old gas losses octane and rvp which have caused me more grief than anything else.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hooked up a fuel pressure gauge and found that it was dropping off to basically zero. Going to be replacing the fuel filter and see if that's the issue.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts