Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 skandic with the 600 ace with 525 km on it. Yesterday while riding I noticed the engine acquired a skip. This seemed to occur mostly if I was cruising and slowly rolled on the throttle to compensate for a hill. I was able to get it to skip fairly regularly.

I did fill it with new gas that morning so I guess there is a chance of bad gas. I have put some dry gas in it as well as some gas stabilizer.

I will need to ride it a bit more to see if the problem persists but was just wondering if any 600 ace owners have dealt with this.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Haven't had that problem in our sled yet but i heard about it and yes fuel stabilizer is a good way to work out that problem. The more modern fuel injected engines are more susceptible to water in the gas, even the 2 strokes.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Check your battery terminals then the grounds.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Replaced the gas I got yesterday with new gas today. Again I cannot replicate the problem until after a mile our two of operation. Then either a hill, going off trail or passenger I can make it act up. If I cruise at 20kmh and slowly accelerate when it gets to about 30kmh it starts misfiring. I dumped it off at the dealer today and will post what they find.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dealer could not get to my sled this week. I am going to pick it up tomorrow for an ice fishing trip this weekend. If there are any other suggestions out there for my above stated problem I am all ears. I have already replaced the gas. I will check the terminals and grounds. Anything else it could be?

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
Be sure to check all the grounds not only the battery, most important is the one seated near the solenoid, remove the tie wrap that strapped the harness to the risers while your at it, this will give you problems later.

Reactions: LabradorBoy

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just had an update on my skipping issue with my 600 ace. My original dealer claimed it was a loose battery terminal. I got it back and about 300 yards from the house and she started skipping. Brought it to a much more proffessional dealer yesterday and with in an hour they found it was a bad throttle position sensor. All warranty work, running very good now. They told me they have been seeing this issue more with the1200 not so much with the 600. Just thought guys might want to know just I case you experience these same types of symptoms.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The TORS system, figures. Thanks for the update.

Just had an update on my skipping issue with my 600 ace. My original dealer claimed it was a loose battery terminal. I got it back and about 300 yards from the house and she started skipping. Brought it to a much more proffessional dealer yesterday and with in an hour they found it was a bad throttle position sensor. All warranty work, running very good now. They told me they have been seeing this issue more with the1200 not so much with the 600. Just thought guys might want to know just I case you experience these same types of symptoms.

·
Super Moderator
2,665 Posts
Etourtel,

I was about to post today with some info on trouble we had with one of my friend's machine. After a few days of it missing, I kinda informally tracked it down to being a TPS sensor. His would start and run fine up to about about 3/4 throttle, then would start intermittently "detuning" itself to 5000-6000 rpm at inopportune times, while beeping and flashing the check engine light. As soon as the throttle was backed off, it was fine again. Is this what yours was doing?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Pump the brakes, I spoke to soon. After getting it back yesterday I put 20 miles of lake riding breaking new trails and it ran great. Today with my wife on the back we went out for a short ride. Trails were semi frozen and it was slow going. After about 3-4 miles she started skipping again (the sled not my wife). So headed back to the dealer again.

I think they reset it Saturday but is the throttle position sensor something that has had to be replaced on other sleds?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just had something similar happen with my 2011 Tundra LT ACE, but it was the brake switch that has loosened off, and was telling the "Brain", that the brakes were on. Then, if I understand it correctly, the Brain will put the engine into limp mode if you try and drive with the brakes on.....Might be worth a look.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I was thinking of going to the ACE engine but after reading so many quirks I think I will just keep putting gas in the 550 for another year.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
If you look at the amount of ace's are out there the problems are few and far between.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would guess that the 550 has more documented issues with them than the ACE, especially since they started putting ethynal in the gas. I know most of our state agencies will not even touch the 550 anymore because of the gas problems and premature blow-ups.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wanted to send out one more update and hopefully the last one involving my issues experienced with my 13 600ace (read above). After two more trips to the dealer, I received a call from another dealer whom I bought the machine from. They advised me they had two other 600aces come in with the exact same symptoms as mine. They were unable to find any issue during their diagnostics but decided to change out the engine wire harness on both sleds. That seemed to fix them. My sled received a new engine wire harness as well and the dealer put several miles on it and it appeared to fix the problem. I am not sure if SkiDoo has known issues with their wiring harness or not but hopefully I am good to go for some late season riding.

Just wanted to throw that out for anyone else that ends up having these same problems.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I wanted to send out one more update and hopefully the last one involving my issues experienced with my 13 600ace (read above). After two more trips to the dealer, I received a call from another dealer whom I bought the machine from. They advised me they had two other 600aces come in with the exact same symptoms as mine. They were unable to find any issue during their diagnostics but decided to change out the engine wire harness on both sleds. That seemed to fix them. My sled received a new engine wire harness as well and the dealer put several miles on it and it appeared to fix the problem. I am not sure if SkiDoo has known issues with their wiring harness or not but hopefully I am good to go for some late season riding.

Just wanted to throw that out for anyone else that ends up having these same problems.
I know a couple of fellows here had to change the wiring harness...one ace-one 600etecwt...another fellow with a swt ace had a connecter broke where the wires plug into the fuel pump, she was working bad for a spell.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts