Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone im asking for a friend. His wife is riding a 2014 ACE 600 and has had fish tailing issues. I have read through here and people say a new track or studs help. He is thinking of putting studs in and id like to get your opinion on how many and what height. Its the 3/4 lug. before we commit to the studs we are going to mess with the suspension but id like to go there with all options weighed out and ready to make a decision since the snow is flying

Thanks all in advance.

Replacing track is kind of out of the option, hes a bit cheap...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Mine kinda does this too, on hard pack road I really noticed it. I've never owned a studded sled but maybe it's time.
Don't know how many miles are on your buddies sled but for the price of studs, he might be able to find a take off/ used track with more lug on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
557 Posts
I put one stud per bar (48 total) in my 600 ace and it helped a ton! Really added safety on icy roads and trails.

I wouldn't recommend any more studs than that with 60 hp.

I used stud boy single ply studs and pro lite backers. The pro lites add some rigid grip and work as "extra lugs".

Dont forget ski doo tunnel protectors.

Just know that when the trails get really powdery/soft you will notice some fishtail. Only remedy for that is a 1.25 track

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just added Kold Kutters to my Expedition sport (pre drilled holes) I have a bit more lug, but I really noticed a huge difference on my trip to my cabin this weekend. I'm wondering now why it took my so long to add them...

·
Registered
557 Posts
Mike-337 is correct. More studs spread the load with less stress on each.

Especially true with higher HP applications.

But 48 is plenty for traction purposes. FWIW, I have 1200 miles on my 48 and they are holding in well.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Stud Boy chart shows 1.080 length for the Ace 600 w/ 1" lug track. I'd probably opt for the 1.187 length.
Good catch Big Chief!

I deleted my post above that had bad info. But I got that info from the 2014 stud boy chart which shows the mxz600ace incorrectly at 1.375.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Stick with what the stud manufacture recommends. To long a stud will tend to lay over instead of staying upright and put more stress on your track. Stick with the manufactures recommendations!

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you look at the Stud Boy length/penetration chart, the 1.080 is well under the recommended 3/8". The 1.187 is 0.040 over. That's minimal and certainly nothing to worry about. Me, myself, and I would go that route and have many times without issue. But.......nothing wrong with playing it REALLY safe with a 1.080 either. To each their own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts