Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
22 Posts
keep the receipts for oil and filter.
Years ago my neighbor blew an engine on fairly new car.
They said nope to warranty because he did his own oil changes.
He produced his receipts and records and they replaced the engine under warranty

· Registered
60 Posts
My 2021 Expedition Owner's manual doesn't say anything about an early oil change. The only recommendations ski-doo makes for the break in period is :
  • avoid sustained acceleration
  • avoid sustained full throttle
  • avoid prolonged cruising speed
  • avoid engine overheating

Which is almost exactly the same recommendations for every other vehicle I have ever had. None of them recommended an early oil change either.

Early oil change may have been valid back when machining was done by hand and there was a lot of variability between supposably identical parts. Back then, cars consumed a lot of oil the first few hundred miles until the rings were seated. But not any more. Engines parts these days are built with CNC machines and parts are put out like popcorn and to spec. The last new car I had as well as my skidoo didn't consume any oil at all during its alleged :) break in.

However, an early oil change can't hurt. I just don't think it is anything to worry about.

· Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 2021 Expedition Owner's manual doesn't say anything about an early oil change. The only recommendations ski-doo makes for the break in period is :
  • avoid sustained acceleration
  • avoid sustained full throttle
  • avoid prolonged cruising speed
  • avoid engine overheating

Which is almost exactly the same recommendations for every other vehicle I have ever had. None of them recommended an early oil change either.

Early oil change may have been valid back when machining was done by hand and there was a lot of variability between supposably identical parts. Back then, cars consumed a lot of oil the first few hundred miles until the rings were seated. But not any more. Engines parts these days are built with CNC machines and parts are put out like popcorn and to spec. The last new car I had as well as my skidoo didn't consume any oil at all during its alleged :) break in.

However, an early oil change can't hurt. I just don't think it is anything to worry about.
That's what I've read too but it's confusing because there's nothing that says anything about break in or a % left on the sled. Unless they do it by hours now dunno. My 2012 ace had a long list of things to check after 500km but could of been a money grab. Will change the gear case oil as well.

· Registered
22 Posts
I had a 2012 4 stroke, different brand. It said work it but don't be crazy for first 500 miles. Needs a bit of pushing to seat rings or it will burn oil. I did that and at 500 miles I punched it and drove it like I stole it till I sold it at 30,000 km.
Never burned a drop of oil or changed a plug. Changed oil and gearcase oil yearly every 3000 km

1 - 10 of 10 Posts