Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see in the Princess Auto flyer there is a Tecumseh 6 HP 3/4 shaft motor for use in go-carts for $288.00.
Does anyone know if it would be a similar swap in a mini z as the stocker is a Honda. I know it may not be a great motor but for the price and the old works fine.....it may be a cheap HP upgrade.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't know about the engine you're talking about, but the GX200 (Honda) will bolt right in and give you 6.5 hp. I bought a Honda knock-off engine for $300 brand new called Eagle motor from the Lawnmower Hospital in Edmonton. It bolted right into my 2003 mini-z. Very easy. You'll need to change the gearing though. If you want to keep the bottom end identical, use a 28 tooth sprocket. Parts are available at Princess Auto for about $15. More teeth means more bottom end and less top speed. Sleddin' buddy did the same to his kid's ZR120 but went with 35 teeth. Bypass the governer and the sled'll do about 30 kmh.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. Is the GX 200 a 6.5hp?
Are most of them the same as far as bolt pattern to mount?

·
Registered
61 Posts
GX200 is 6.5 hp. The GX120 (4 hp), GX160 (5.5 hp) and GX200 and pretty much interchangeable. The bolt pattern is identical on all 3 engines. The GX200 is a tight fit but will bolt in easy. You don't have to modify anything. I put the stock carb on the new engine so even the clutch and throttle linkages were the same. If you spend some money at www.recmotor.com you can make your sled fly.

Last weekend we had our kids out sleddin and no less than 8 adults stopped by to watch the 2 kids ride. They had never seen mini's catch air or bust up snow drifts. You'll be amazed at the performance difference. It'll keep that sled used and useful until your kid is 12.

Graeme

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
30km/h will be fine. It does 18-19 now but I find he is floating the valves more often as he runs it WFO now that he is confident.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just re-read and you say 30km/h. Mine does 18 mph now with stock motor, gov tied and 30 tooth gear. So now confused? Does the 6.5 not REV as high?

·
Registered
61 Posts
30 km/h is only measured by me riding my sled beside... not too accurate. I have a 30 tooth gear too, just looked this weekend. I suspect there'd be a huge difference in the bottom end, but the gearing is a bit of trial and error.

My buddy runs a 35 tooth gear, 6.5 hp honda, with pipe and intake in his kid's ZR120. I'd say there is almost no difference between the top speeds, but the little ZR will pull the skiis up on take off if the kid stands on the rear bumper.

We both need to change springs because the valves float at the higher speeds. Maybe the best top speed is somewhere in between?

Oh, yeah I measured top speed in about 6 inches of snow. On ice it should do way better. Whatever you do, make sure you don't give up too much bottom end since that's where the kids seem to spend most of their time anyway. I was thinking of gearing mine down...

If you're a machinist, you can do a belt drive for about $300. That would double the top speed easy.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
gmac said:
GX200 is 6.5 hp. The GX120 (4 hp), GX160 (5.5 hp) and GX200 and pretty much interchangeable. The bolt pattern is identical on all 3 engines. The GX200 is a tight fit but will bolt in easy. You don't have to modify anything. I put the stock carb on the new engine so even the clutch and throttle linkages were the same. If you spend some money at www.recmotor.com you can make your sled fly.

Last weekend we had our kids out sleddin and no less than 8 adults stopped by to watch the 2 kids ride. They had never seen mini's catch air or bust up snow drifts. You'll be amazed at the performance difference. It'll keep that sled used and useful until your kid is 12.

Graeme
[snapback]284394[/snapback]​
I saw an add in one of those truck trader mags for 6.5hp engines (just like the OHV honda engines it said!) for 149$ for the 5.5 and 159 for the 6.5hp. Was wondering to myself what kind of difference that would make. darn I wish i would have wrote down the number!

·
Registered
155 Posts
What do you mean by 'floating the valves'? What causes this / what do we watch for? It sounds like it is fixed by putting in stronger valve springs. What is the down side to doing that? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm happy for all the answers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
High rpms and springs that aren't stiff enough makes the valves float... ie. not close completely. I've just been digging into this and found the best resource to be the go-kart industry. The kart industry swaps the GX200 springs with the G200 springs -still made by Honda. I don't think there is any downside. You might lose a little bit of life, but none of us will put the hours on the engines that they were designed for. The GX200 is an industrial engine intended to run 8 hours a day, 7 days a week at 3600 rpm for years. We're going to run it harder, but won't come close to approaching the design life.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts