Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I take delivery of my new machine I'm thinking of swapping skis right away from the stock 6.9 pilots to Powder Pros. I've had these skis on my '01 MXZX 700 136" (unstudded 1.5" ripsaw)for a couple of seasons with shaper bars and love them, great cross over skis. I know ZX chassis to XP chassis is like apples to oranges. Opinions on if this would be a worthwhile up grade or should I stick with the Pilots? What are the 6.9's worth if take 'em off?
THX
Greg

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
When I take delivery of my new machine I'm thinking of swapping skis right away from the stock 6.9 pilots to Powder Pros. I've had these skis on my '01 MXZX 700 136" (unstudded 1.5" ripsaw)for a couple of seasons with shaper bars and love them, great cross over skis. I know ZX chassis to XP chassis is like apples to oranges. Opinions on if this would be a worthwhile up grade or should I stick with the Pilots? What are the 6.9's worth if take 'em off?
THX
Greg
Powder Pro's on an XP will be VERY AGGRESSIVE. (you really can't compare the PP's on a ZX compared to an XP) two totally different animals.

·
Registered
217 Posts
THX
Greg
I have never tried either ski but I am interested in adding the 6.9's to my collection if you decide to sell them.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nothing wrong with the 6.9's. I quite like them. Try 'em first? Easy to sell if you don't like them.
How do they perform on hardpack trails? Did you double up the carbides?

·
Registered
715 Posts
6.9's work just like a 5.7 on the trail. Had them on my 06 gade for 10,000+ miles put them on my wifes 09 gade she loves them too. Those have just a single carbide in the middle. I like the shapers 6 inch she likes stockers to keep the steering effort down. I also have them on my 2010 BCX with carbide on the outside as well. The outsides were already on when I bought the sled I don't see a necessity for them but many doo.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
i just picked up some 6.9s too. I even made them dual carbide 6" shapers hopefully they will work great on and off trail. steve

·
Registered
45,484 Posts
I know the PP's on my REV are VERY agressive on anything semi-firm, definatley gives you a shoulder workout no matter how the suspensions are setup. But they bite and keep on biting no matter the conditions with just 6" cabides.

I don't have a ton of experience with 6.9's but do know they float good and they turn easy compared to the PP!

·
Registered
290 Posts
As someone else mentioned, they are the same on the trails as the 5.7's. I ran the stock 4" for a bit, then moved them to the outside (have to drill holes) and put Woody's 6" carbides in the middle. Handles like its on rails on the hardpack, works great in the deep. It's all good.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Love the 6.9's on my XP. Running 6" Woody on the outside, and 6" Shapers down the center. The thing RAILS, and floats WELL! I just wish Ski-Doo made an orange ski. I may try Powderhounds again this year, just to get orange skis

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm going to stick with the pilots, get 6" shapers for the middle and move the stock bars to the outside. DONE! And cheap too

·
Registered
645 Posts
HowdyDoo All !!!

On my Gades, the setup I've been running for quite a few years now is:

6.9 skis,
move 4inchers to outside,
8 in. Bergstrom Triple point carbides down the middle,
ski savers
and shim up the rear boot of the ski.

This set up in my opinion is the best for SkiDoo Pilot 5.7's & 6.9 skis.
no darting, rails in the twisties and power like steering. :) what more can you ask for !!!

Bergstrom triple points are a little bit more $$, but well worth it. 3500 miles on my carbides and they are still running strong.

http://www.bergstromskegs.com/

Check out Scott Bergstrom's web site. While there, check out his video on dry pavement. Scott is a great guy and KNOWS his stuff..

Tommy J.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The outside Carbides from what i see dont really affect the steering one bit, but the do keep the ski from wearing out on the edge when riding in less then perfect conditions. just my 2 cents, I will always run 4"s on the outside

·
Registered
507 Posts
HowdyDoo All !!!

On my Gades, the setup I've been running for quite a few years now is:

6.9 skis,
move 4inchers to outside,
8 in. Bergstrom Triple point carbides down the middle,
ski savers
and shim up the rear boot of the ski.

This set up in my opinion is the best for SkiDoo Pilot 5.7's & 6.9 skis.
no darting, rails in the twisties and power like steering. :) what more can you ask for !!!

Bergstrom triple points are a little bit more $$, but well worth it. 3500 miles on my carbides and they are still running strong.

http://www.bergstromskegs.com/

Check out Scott Bergstrom's web site. While there, check out his video on dry pavement. Scott is a great guy and KNOWS his stuff..

Tommy J.
X2

·
Registered
555 Posts
So do the 6.9's come standard on the Renegades now? I thought the 5.7's are standard, at least my last 08' they were 5.7's. You can run a carbide on the outside of the 6.9's correct?

·
Snow, it's a 4 letter word we're proud of&
985 Posts
So do the 6.9's come standard on the Renegades now? I thought the 5.7's are standard, at least my last 08' they were 5.7's. You can run a carbide on the outside of the 6.9's correct?
BCX has 6.9's and all others come with 5.7's

I've been running the 6.9's with 8" Triple Point Berstrom's, ski savers and shim with the 4" stockers on the outside on my 06' 800 Gade and they have been supurb on and off trail.

I'm going to put the same set up on me new 1200 gade. My guess is that it will still work great. We'll see.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had both and loved the Powderpros until I tried the Pilot 6.9s! The Pilots are more forgiving and I found the steering to be really heavy on the Powderpros - even with 4" carbides on them. The Pilots are great if you add a pair of carbides to the outer keel. The Powderpros stick in everyones ruts and everyone behind you is annotyed by the trenches you just left in the trail... The Pilots are virtually dart-free with the second set of carbides and they are really nice even on hard packed trails. They float very well in the deep stuff as well!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I also have the Pilot 6.9 skis on my 2011 Backcountry. I put the Bergstrom 6" triple points in the center, drilled out and put the stock carbides on the outside edge of the skis. I also have ski savers and shims that come with the Bergstrom carbides. This has been a great setup for me in all conditions. It handles fantastic on the trails, is easy to steer, very little darting, and float great off trail.

By the way, the 2012 Backcountry sleds now come with the Pilot DS skis rather than the 6.9s.

·
Registered
5,874 Posts
update to my set:

I was extremely pleased with my 6.9s both on and off trail. no darting on trail if there was a over 2" of snow. if there was less than that it was digging into the dirt underneath and would drag terrible. (beginning and end of season) the only thing i wish they did slightly better was turn flat in deeper snow. they seemed to push quite a bit in powder but other than that they were great for 1500 miles. The shapers held up great and will probably be ran next year again.

ill be keeping them on my 800 for a long time.

steve

1 - 20 of 23 Posts