Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping to get some advise from an experienced rotary valve person.

I have a new to me 583 that is spewing a lot of oil out the exhaust and based on the amount of burning smoke it might also be filling the crankcase.

I have read that it could possibly be as simple as replacing the oil pump seal behind the water pump to address the oil out the exhaust.

Is it also possible this same seal is the reason the crankcase might be filling with oil? From what I can tell looking at the parts fiche I suspect I have more than one seal, or a different seal leaking to cause this?

Has anyone played with 583's enough to know how the oil is managed in the crankcase and the best way to approach it?

·
Registered
834 Posts
I'm hoping to get some advise from an experienced rotary valve person.

I have a new to me 583 that is spewing a lot of oil out the exhaust and based on the amount of burning smoke it might also be filling the
crankcase.
I have read that it could possibly be as simple as replacing the oil pump seal behind the water pump to address the oil out the exhaust.
Is it also possible this same seal is the reason the crankcase might be filling with oil? From what I can tell looking at the parts fiche I suspect I have more than one seal, or a different seal leaking to cause this?

Has anyone played with 583's enough to know how the oil is managed in the crankcase and the best way to approach it?
OK. First, year and mileage? Second, do you know what the oil consumption is currently? Things to check;
-oil pump calibration. Where is the calibration line on pump? Is it returning back when blipping throttle?
-any Injector oil or coolant coming out of weep hole (is the front of motor bed plate below exhaust dry?)
- check your oil jug and coolant jug. Are either milky?
-lastly, it could be the inner crank seals letting oil in tne cavity out of the worm drive cavity.
Don't stress out yet. It could be as si ple as the oil pump...we need to know your current consumption first..

·
Registered
258 Posts
It is a 1996 GT with 9000km on the odo. There doesn't seem to be any oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil. Nothing coming out the weep hole either. It has good compression 120psi and in spite of the oil huffing out it idles good.

It will spew 2-3oz of oil into a pan from the exhaust while idling for just 1 minute. After sitting for a half hour it will fill the garage so full of smoke at start up that you can't see across the room. After a couple of minutes running it clears and only spews un-burnt oil out.

I guessing it is starting to look like a crank seal??? Thought's??

·
Registered
834 Posts
It is a 1996 GT with 9000km on the odo. There doesn't seem to be any oil in the coolant, or coolant in the oil. Nothing coming out the weep hole either. It has good compression 120psi and in spite of the oil huffing out it idles good.

It will spew 2-3oz of oil into a pan from the exhaust while idling for just 1 minute. After sitting for a half hour it will fill the garage so full of smoke at start up that you can't see across the room. After a couple of minutes running it clears and only spews un-burnt oil out.

I guessing it is starting to look like a crank seal??? Thought's??
I'm thinking inner crank seals.....

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
As a witness I can attest to the oil pump arm returning fully and that it is burning and spewing oil out the exhaust.

The return line to the oil tank is also empty, all oil flow is going out thru the motor.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Inner seals

·
Registered
787 Posts
Does it run and drive well? Normal power?

If it does not than I suggest you check for an restricted (plugged) exhaust.

When mine was partially plugged the pipe was always full of oil. With a new muffler, no more oil problems.

Just something to check if all else fails.

·
Registered
834 Posts
The return line to the oil tank is also empty, all oil flow is going out thru the motor.
Theres teh answer. Its definately inner crank seals. If teh waterpump shaft cavity isnt passing oil back to teh tank, those seals are toast!

·
Registered
662 Posts
Theres teh answer. Its definately inner crank seals. If teh waterpump shaft cavity isnt passing oil back to teh tank, those seals are toast!
you guys do realize that oil does not get "pumped" through this cavity right? There will only be oil in the upper hose if the level in the bottle is high enough to allow oil in the upper hose. It is a simple gravity flow, oil bath system, there is technically no oil "returned" through this hose.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Does it run and drive well? Normal power?

If it does not than I suggest you check for an restricted (plugged) exhaust.

When mine was partially plugged the pipe was always full of oil. With a new muffler, no more oil problems.

Just something to check if all else fails.
Don't know as it hasn't got off the stand but can't see the sled making enough power after idling to move

The though of mice pipe did cross our minds

you guys do realize that oil does not get "pumped" through this cavity right? There will only be oil in the upper hose if the level in the bottle is high enough to allow oil in the upper hose. It is a simple gravity flow, oil bath system, there is technically no oil "returned" through this hose.
Seriously ?

Is the center gear for the water pump immersed in oil or does the oil pump feed the injector fittings only ? Where's the supply to the pump ? We haven't had more time than to look at the online parts fische. There is a seal on the rotary valve shaft that could provide a leak to the rotary shaft... ie feeding both cylinders

·
Registered
662 Posts
There are three lines on the oil bottle, the two big lines on the side simply gravity feed the rotary shaft gear, this gear runs in a constant oil bath. Directly on the bottom of the bottle is a smaller line that feeds the oil pump, the oil pump injects the oil that the engine burns. If the crankshaft center seals or the carburetor side rotary shaft seal fail the motor will draw additional oil from the rotary shaft gear cavity. Sometimes if a machine sets unused for a long time these seals can kind of "relax" and leak, but I've seen them "loosen" back up and start to seal again enough so the oil consumption is tolerable after running for a while.
These are just my observations so take them for what they are worth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
198 Posts
unhook the injecter and mix it in the fuel and go from there. crankseals usually equal don't run at all or only for a minute on one cylinder or the other.

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
OK thanks, neither of us are at the sled to look at now btw.

If I understand correctly:

The lower oil hose supplies the center cavity and provides oil bath to the inner mains, water pump and rotary valve shaft and gear.

The upper hose is merely a vent line back to the tank that will fluctuate with the level of the oil tank and prevent the center cavity from air locking.

The oil pump is only supplied by the hose to the nipple on the end of the pump and feeds out the injector lines.

A bad seal on the rotary shaft could supply access oil to both cylinders via the rotary intake.

Bad inner seals would allow the oil directly into the crank and get huffed out the top end.

If there's only one oil soaked cylinder it would be just one inner seal, if it's both cylinders it has to be the rotary seal or both inner seals.

Thanks eh !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts