Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that there is anything wrong with it but if my 550F did suffer total non-rebuildable failure of some sort are complete new 550F motors available and what would one cost?

A complete new transmission for my SUV would be about $4300 CAN but I couldn't find a complete long block 550F.

Thanks.

·
Registered
630 Posts
There are short blocks available from Skidoo for $2900 cdn. I can't see it very likely that a 550f would suffer a non-rebuildable failure

·
Registered
630 Posts
bottom end failures tend to be "non-rebuild-able"
???
I just rebuilt the bottom end on my 550. PTO bearing went. The Rest of the bearings were good and runout within spec so I just replaced the outer two. Not a big deal. Worse case, such as center bearings, you can get a rebuilt crank for $500

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
I agree with mxz1998. There comes a point when it is not worth fixing, but just about every part can be replaced.

What is getting hard to replace is electrical components. OEM regulators and CDIs are getting hard to come by for certain machines.

If you had to replace the crankcase (both halves) and do a crank rebuild, that is about when you'd really want to look at replacing the engine. Of course, at the cost of a new engine, you can usually find a used machine.

·
Registered
6,414 Posts
I had two engines that developed bottom end problems. the first, it literally trashed everything after spitting out the lower needles. The other just hydro-locked and slightly bent a connecting rod...only sort of a bottom end problem. Changing the con-rod would equal a rebuild crank, and that was more than the cost of a used crank. I was able to get a complete engine for less than I was able to get a used crank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts