Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
my '80 5500 seems to run poorly when it warms up. It will start O.K. & will idle on it's own after a couple of minutes of priming. Seems to run fairly strong for about 5 - 10 min then it starts to power out like it is running on one cylinder when it is under load.
after a couple of minutes of spinning the track in the air, it seems to go well again, until it gets under load again. (deeper snow)
Why would it barrel through the deep stuff when it is cold, then crap out once it warms up?
Fuel pump??
Thanks
Alex

·
Banned
1,103 Posts
ya, my citation kina does the same. The fact is that you cant run fan cooled sled over -5 celcius. No F/C sled will work good when its warm outside. The other thing u can try is jetting your main one notch.When its wamer instal the leaner jet

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
It looks like maybe a bad coil or points,and the worst scenario would be a seized piston.Can you identify which side stops working ?

·
Banned
1,103 Posts
well ya all fan cooled sleds do that. Not even the liquids run good tht hot. I would check for an air leak in the prime spots if everyhting looks good then its just the weather. If its a bad coil or points u can deturmin this by the cylinder test. When idling, remove one cap at a time. Lets say I remove the PTO and if it remains idlin the OPP cylinder is fine. Do this to the Mag side and deturmine tht the PTO is firing

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
it isn't the outside temp that screws it up, it is when the sled warms up.
I replaced one coil. Maybe should replace the other?
What about the inside coil. The one at the flywheel? Does that on give grief as well?
Thanks
Alex

·
Registered
357 Posts
have u tryed ur belt my 5500 blizzard did the exact same thing, give er a try its most defanatly ur problem, most ppl tell u its a blow psiton or what ever ur coils stuff like this, when u belt gets hot it glazes and slips on the clutch ( seeems like its runnin on one cylinder but the engine just cant grip the belt) thats y itll idle but wont go anywere under load. like i say eliminate the easiest things first before u try to rip down the engine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts