Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions on wether to go with 4 or 6 inch carbides on my wife's 09 550X. The sled is not studded right now, but will be at some point.

Thanks

·
Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down.
1,526 Posts
6" Studboy Shaper's and Pilot ski's are excellent on the 550F, moved the stock doo bar to the outer keel. Have a 550X setup with an Iceripper XT track and with the 6" shapers it handles superb. My daughter's machine. (now 15 & rides the 550X).

A note on the Rev 380&550 fan sleds and studding: Please make sure you use some sort of tunnel protection in the tunnel if going to stud the track. My daughter sled had damage starting on the front of fuel tank from studs ripping through the tunnel from the previous owner. Since the tank was off for a safety inspection I had the factory tunnel protection kit installed. Liquid sleds have two keyed tangs on the heat exchanger to install wear strips on them when using studs. The fan sleds don't have a head exchanger in the tunnel and thus don't have any easy way to install protection strips for studs.

Some folks have installed hyfax material in the tunnel to protect from stud damage. Think this generally ok to do so long as your height is fine so you don't risk damage to the tunnel and fuel tank.

So if buying at Rev Fan and it has studs, take a close look a tunnel forward underneath the fuel tank. Chances are if no protection was installed the studs may be ripping through the tunnel directly under the fuel tank and may have damaged the tank.

Stay to the right, in your lane and slow down...

Tahquamenon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the information. I do plan on installing studs but probably not until next season. I was looking at the woodys dual carbides. Hoping to reduce darting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts