Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a 2007 550 fan spare sled, gets used by the girlfriend or some buddies. No one used it at all this year.
I want to use it for ditchbangin and in the woods.
I'm 6'3 and 230, is this thing gonna have enough jam for me to enjoy it? Especially if I put a 1.6 track on it?
My other option would be to try and sell it or trade in on a 600 ren probably in the xp chassis. Should I try the 550 or try and find a 600 ?

·
Registered
11,244 Posts
Compared to the 1200 you have in your avatar that 550 fan will feel like a 120 kids sled. If you are talking a 600 carb there is quite a bit of hp difference with the 550. A 600etec will have a lot of hp difference. I can't believe you haven't ridden the 550 if you really already have it,

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Compared to the 1200 you have in your avatar that 550 fan will feel like a 120 kids sled. If you are talking a 600 carb there is quite a bit of hp difference with the 550. A 600etec will have a lot of hp difference. I can't believe you haven't ridden the 550 if you really already have it,
I've had it for a few years but I usually just ride my own. If I can find an etec for a decent price I'll probably go that route. I just don't want to spend too much

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Go for the 600. I had a 550 for my wife. Good all around sled, but basically low on power. Especially when it got warm. Bought it brand new, put pipe/can, reeds, and lowered gearing.Still disappointing. Sold it. Bought new 600 SDI. All stock. Never should have bought 550. Wife is happy, therefore I am happy.

·
Premium Member
8,429 Posts
The 550f is a great sled.

But.....it is what it is.

For your application, you will probably be happier on a 600.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I'm 215 and my kids have a 550x. Just ripped it around the property today. It's a fun sled but with time I'd want more if it was the only one.

·
GSX = Gone Swamp X-ing
69,953 Posts
13,400 km on my 550. My dad has 13,000 MILES on his '07 550 and the only engine work done was to replace the PTO seal (didn't have to open the engine to do it). Great sleds and lots of fun in the woods, ditches, playing in sand pits, etc. I'm 37, been riding sleds since I was 2 and still have lots of fun on the fanner. It'll cruise all day at 50-60 mph and gets there fast. It doesn't have much more after that but it's not supposed to. 70 mph is about top speed on a good day, but depending on where you ride you might not get many chances to even reach that speed. The 550 is not a lake racer but in the woods it can be faster than the 600s and 800s when properly set up (been there, done that). I'm 200 lbs without gear. I rode all weekend with my 5 year old riding in front of me (she's about 45-50 lbs with gear) and it had no issues hauling right along. And like others have said, you can't beat them for late season and low snow riding. Carbides and sliders are cheap. Ride those fanners anywhere and everywhere. ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
I wouldn't want to be with out a fan cooled sled. I can follow my daughter around on her little 120 all day long no matter what snow conditions are without worrying about overheating. I'm not sure I would be happy with the fanner as my only sled, but I wouldn't get rid of it in my situation.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts