Ski-Doo Snowmobiles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking about this sled for my daughter and sometimes my wife. Is this a good sled? Whats the gas milage and top end? I have 2 500ss this would replace 2 older Polaris's one being a Indy trail which is reallly easy to handle and ride and has E-Z throttle. Looking for your opinions. Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
It's an OK sled; Light, fast, reliable and not too expensive, around 5000 and 6000Cdn$ for an 05 REV chassis...Not bad!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought an 05 550 fan for my son (12yrs old). We took it to the UP Mi. and I rented an 06 500ss.I had more fun on the 550 because it was lighter and you just ran the thing full power alot and every time I was done riding it, I was always smiling. It went 78 mph on flat snow roads, 0-60 very quick. very snappy for a 550 fan. I would recommend it for anyone that isnt HP hungry.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Indybru said:
Thinking about this sled for my daughter and sometimes my wife. Is this a good sled? Whats the gas milage and top end? I have 2 500ss this would replace 2 older Polaris's one being a Indy trail which is reallly easy to handle and ride and has E-Z throttle. Looking for your opinions. Thanks
[snapback]720764[/snapback]​
I purchased a 05 from a fellow-dootalker last Feb. and have not done anything except fuel-oil-wash-grease
it has been a great sled it was purchased for my wife but she is having a hard time getting it back from my 10 year old son after his first ride on it this was a big change from my wifes last sled 03 doo 2-up no one fought her to ride that sled

·
Registered
934 Posts
Did the same for my son - 14 yo. He loves it and low maintenance. You should be able to get some good deals now.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It is a nice light machine. gets 13-14mpg and is quick up to 60mph.
I would recommend you remove the cheap camoplast skis if it is a 2005 and put on a set of flex skis and deuce bars to eliminate the darting.
The shocks are cheap in the back so watch for leaks then upgrade it to the next level.
We really liked ours until the motor seized up at only 1020 miles. Still waiting to hear from the dealer but it sounds like Skidoo it giving us a new motor so I can't beef much yet about it.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I like my 05 550F so far. It is a nice upgrade from my '88 formula mx 470. Next year it will get new skis and HPG shocks. I paid $3800 OTD for it. Ill ride it one more season and then the GF gets it!

Tim

·
Registered
83 Posts
right now ihave a 06 mxz 550x. it is a great sled and pretty fast. i have hit 92mph on it. the gas milage is pretty good.

·
Fanny
2,449 Posts
I also have the 06 MXZ X 550f
Its awesome for fuel averaging around 19mpg.
Its light. FLoats on the snow. I dont find the x shocks to be all that stiff. Yes they are slightly but nothing a Woman cant handle

The only downside we have found so far is the sliders.
They do wear. Only 700 miles so far on it and man...... the sliders are showing it. Oil wise is good too. Hardly burns (compaired to RObins 600HO) it hardly burns ANYTHING.
I think this is a great sled for anyone who doesnt mind a bit less hp. I keep up with the guys just fine on it. And they like to play on it once and awhile.
The seat is nice and narrow so if you have to lean its really comfy.
Great sled Reccomend it time and time again.

·
Straight out a Compton!
4,065 Posts
550 fans are super sweet sleds to toss around. Def. sweet in the pow, love throwing it around. As everyone else stated great on fuel and gas. and you can get a used one for cheap.

·
Fanny
2,449 Posts
A note on Powder IF theres TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much powder......... which I know hasnt been an issue this year but if there is....... its a bit tempermental......... It does ride nice in the right amount of powder but if theres too much it doesnt perform quite as nice.

That would also be lack of hp

My question......... Robin and that always bug me about staying away from water even puddles i believe was said once.......
Has anyone had their 550F on open water? Sounds like a stupid idea to me but there are those dare devils out there

·
Registered
190 Posts
Bought a 06 GSX 550F for the wife this year, here's my take.......

Power is decent, runs well, tops out at 120k (roughly 80mph???)

Fuel economy is 16-17mpg CDN ( my 06 500SS gets closer to 20)

Handling is excellent, pilots work well. As Fan-Girl stated, could use a better track if you get into deeper powder. Suspension is good, needs better shocks.

We opted for an 06 instead of a non-current 05 as you get a tach (standard equiptment for 06), pilot ski's and the SC4 skid.

Wife is very happy, I'm impressed, the sled is fun and would definitely buy another one

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
GREAT SLED!! very reliable as long as u don't beat the poop out of it like have. i wish all sleds could be this light. im gonna miss it the lightness when i upgrade to a 600 next year. your wife in kids will love it!

·
Registered
391 Posts
i have a '04 mxz 550. it is not a rev but i love it because it is so light and and there is a good snap on the throttle for a little sled. i am 13 years old and i can handle it fine. i love the 550 motor. i think my next sled i going to be a mxz-x 550. on hard packed snow i could get about 140-145kms i was supised on how will it works.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I would like to take the original question 1 step further. Do you think the X package is necessary for a 10-12 yr old or an occasional ride by a 130lb lady?
I think just based on years of thinkin "fans are cheap" there should be some good buys on used 550 fans in the next year or so! This package for the price, sure seems like a better buy than the 380fan. By the way, I am asking about the MXZ package.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would like to thank everyone for their reply. I'm going to look into from my dealer. We have extra snowmobiles that get riden by guests and family members. In early january I ended up riding my old Polaris XC because my son's girlfriend who never snowmobiled tried several sleds and liked the Rev. She rode my rev also this 550 fan seems like everyone could ride it even my son in law although he's a big guy. Fuel economy is somewhat important riding in the U.P. I don't like worrying about getting gas and the Polaris indy trail maybe gets 10 mpg. Top end question was in case my wife whats to ride it as a change of pace from her 550ss 04GSX whcih now has 6300 miles. Thanks again I really appreciate your comments.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.